Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: SoMa Live/Work Loft

First off, it’s San Francisco, my old stomping grounds and one of the most beautiful cities on earth, so that’s a plus. Secondly, it’s a loft, and, in fact, the entire building with two floors of living space and a rooftop deck, so there’s another win. Lastly, it doesn’t look like a lot of lofts because it’s been modernized with walls of glass, and exposed wood, brick and concrete, and other industrial touches, so, yeah, I’ll take it. Oh, and did I mention it’s in the South of Market—or SoMa—neighborhood?

Located just a stroll away from Yerba Buena Gardens, a park and art center, you enter the loft through a stainless-steel laundry area sitting right beside your own private garage—a must for the neighborhood. The first floor sits under 20-foot ceilings with skylights, and offers a spacious great room, billiards room, industrial kitchen and powder room.

The second floor features the private spaces, with glass walls and floors to let the light from above flood the study, an office, and three bedrooms and a bath. Up a flight of stairs is the primary bedroom and bath, with access to the rooftop … which could use some vegetation and large trees for privacy.

Still, there’s a  lot going for this one and I could move there in a heartbeat, if I had the full $6.5 million asking price.

As always, click to emBIGGERate ...

26 comments:

  1. I really, really want it. Please?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and SG buy it and Carlos and I will come visit for a several months every year!!!

      Delete
  2. It's a prison, Bobulah. I know, I'm on my own here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. krayolakris11:37 AM

      My thought too. As an art installation it’s interesting but as a home, not for me.

      Delete
    2. It is very brutalist, but also sleek and modern and if this is prison, commit me for life!! 💋💋💋

      Delete
    3. Anonymous10:41 PM

      Which brings us to the question is it the proximity to the Yerba Buena Art Center or really Folsom Street that is so appealing?

      Delete
    4. Can't it be both? 😜

      Delete
  3. Waaaaaaay too much glass - but you'll
    make Carlos clean it?
    On a more serious note - way too much
    glass for earthquake country.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the glass is tempered, and the building earthquake safe ... ???
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Way too industrial for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda like that it's so different from any other place I've lived. My teeny tiny college studio in San Francisco would fit in that garage space!

      Delete
  5. *Very-too-industrial.
    *I can warm it up with color
    *Don't like the back patio with a world view to the neighbors-maybe a few but not the whole damn complex.
    *Like that it is unassuming from the front.
    *What is that extra lounge next to the bed in the master bedroom?
    *What is the heating and cooling situation like. All that glass. Also SF is nice but the weather is a little cool for me for 24/7 living. I need a little heat now and then. No, I don;t need AZ, NM, PS type heat. Just kick it in the high 80's low 90's once in awhile.
    *Washer and dryer in the kitchen. Europe and back in the day in America is where these units are stored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could use some color, yes, and I'd need some trees on the roof, too.

      Delete
  6. Definitely a WOW! I'd be tempted to live in ANY loft in San Francisco, especially one this nice. If I were a bazillionaire, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's costly, but so much space and glass--except the floors--and a huge roof terrace!

      Delete
  7. Brigitta2:12 PM

    I see I'd have to share this with quite some people .. could be fun? Only thing, I already get queasy just looking at the glass panels in some of the floors! But yes, San Francisco .. I was too young but how I wished I could have gone there, with flowers in my hair ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the glass floors, and the need for roommates, but again ... San Francisco, where I lived once many moons ago.

      Delete
  8. Huh.....between San Francisco...the mention of loft...and the vibe of it being rustic and industrial......Im sold!!!!!! Who want to be my roommate?????? This is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That area I know very well, and it would be an amazing spot to live in. I might need some curtains or shades, but ... San Francisco!

      Delete
  9. I love this.
    I've ALWAYS wanted to live in a loft, ever since I saw Flashdance. Yeah, sue me. I love the spacious nature of the rooms and all the light. It was not made to be a house, and it shows. And that's what I like. Also, love the artwork and the bathroom. Can I haz?

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have an extra $6.5 million lying around I think a deal can be made!!!
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. Nope, not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't everyone's cup of tea ....

      Delete
  11. I think I'd make it a three bedroom and add a second bath on the 2nd floor. Who has that billion dollar mega millions ticket?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could do with a second bathroom, yes!

      Delete
  12. What a stunning palace. In a hot second! Love the furnishings, too... very well done. Impeccable taste. Great design work throughout - great attention to shape, form and function. Thanks, Bob.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......