Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Architecture: 1900 Portland Craftsmen

It’s a Craftsman; sold! It’s a Craftsman in Portland; Sold! It’s a craftsman in  Portland with a lot of original detail; SOLD!!!

This 1900 Craftsman home is tucked away on a lot lush with plantings in Northwest Portland, Oregon. There are four bedrooms and three bathrooms spread across three floors and 2,390-square-foot, and given her age, she looks good.

Through the front door is an entryway that connects to a family room and a separate living area with a gorgeous box beam ceiling, an original fireplace, hardwood floors, and wainscoting that continues into an adjacent dining room with a gorgeous color palette and bold blue ceiling that may, or may not, happen in a not Craftsman in South Carolina in the coming year.

From the dining room, you walk through a Butler’s Pantry—yes, a Butler’s Pantry—into a spacious kitchen with a wall of windows facing the back garden. A classic Aga stove in teal is flanked by cabinetry. Also on this main level is a bedroom, being used as an office, and a full bath. A staircase rises to a landing where you find the laundry, two additional bedrooms, a large bathroom with a freestanding tub and shower, and an exercise room carved from space under the eaves. The basement has been converted into a suite complete with a kitchenette, a dining area, a living area, a bedroom, and a bathroom.

The home’s backyard features a hardscape in natural stone that’s framed by maple trees, ferns, potted plants and bamboo. The home sits in the Alphabet District in the Nob Hill neighborhood and is walkable to nearby shops and restaurants and is for sale for $1,150,000.

Oops. We all took too long; this beauty is sold! Alas, not to me.

Dwell

32 comments:

  1. Very nice. We lived in 2 houses built in the 20s
    (growing up) and they were my favorite ones.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always loved a Craftsman bungalow and yet never owned one.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. With enough area rugs, the dogs and I could be quite comfortable there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's darn near perfect ... my one quibble? No charm in the basement.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, honestly, what's not to like about a Craftsman bungalow?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that one, Steve!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE a good cratfman!!!! I probably wouldn't change a thing. The woodwork is stunning...the kitchen is to die for....and the wood work trim in the window panes is spectacular. The floor plan is also a great layout. These craftsmen house generally have huge foot prints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too, and was sold at the blue celling in the dining room and the paver patio!

      Delete
  5. When do I move in? Love the choice. I could make it my home. Noticed the neighbors are really close. Also, lets talk about the stove. How does that work with all the doors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I'd mind the close neighbors so much. And I'd need to take a class in "stove" for this one!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Character for days this one has.

      Delete
  7. The front of the house needs some serious gardening/landscape work done. However... MY JAW DROPPED. Wow. Is this gorgeous. Perfection. When can I move in? Thanks for sharing, Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first thought too ... trim the front shrubbery. But other than that I am all sold on this one.

      Delete
  8. It's a beauty but geez, could you imagine being able to hand your neighbour a toilet roll from your bathroom????? Talk about "close proximity"! Nah, not for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's city living. and I wouldn't mind it because the back garden seems so serene and I'd plant some bamboo as a shield!

      Delete
  9. Ooh, I love this one to pieces! I can bring my own charm to the basement. My gardener, Jesus walks on water when it comes to landscaping, so I'll bring him with me, I mean us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duchess Deedles!!! You like it, you really really like it!!!

      PS Jesus sounds interesting.

      Delete
  10. My favorite style of house! I'd love to have a house like that. Even with that funky stove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorites kinds, too!

      Delete
  11. I love Craftsman homes! I miss the 1906 Craftsman we had here ages ago! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always wanted to live in a Craftsman and came close with a little cottage house in Sacramento years back.

      Delete
  12. I could do well with that. All it needs is new furnishings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't mind the furnishings, though I'd like a larger dining table. But those two chairs in the living room are beautiful.

      Delete
    2. I wouldn’t get rid of everything. And, yes, let’s keep the chairs.

      Delete
  13. It's GORGEOUS! and I want it. Is the floorplan available? you're right about that blue ceiling. I've seen that same shade used on walls here in Australian homes and it works just as well there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the unexpected and that blue sold me.

      Delete
  14. First I tear out the kitchen, the Aga is not centered on the window, a lack of upper cabinets, no backsplashes! Don't get me started on the bathroom tile, and cheap acrylic shower base.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, but there are all kinds of uppers in the butler's pantry and a huge cabinet across from the stove. I see what you mean about the stove, though it's the exhaust pipe that's centered so it doesn't bother me so much.
      Plus, I think you have new kitchen on the brain! Yours has started right?

      Delete
    2. As I was reading this

      Delete
  15. The details! The wood! Portland!
    I am sold, too. It's been kept in great condition. I loved the little patio and the sunroom, too. And leave the basement to me...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basement is my only quibble. I'd do some kind of speakeasy bar setup down there, with a nicer kitchen.
      xoxo

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......