Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Architecture Wednesday: El Mirador ... The Looker


After last week’s huge, sleek farmhouse, I thought we’d head south for something a little more rustic, a little smaller, a little different.

El Mirador is located on the 234 acre El Eterno estate in Valle de Bravo—a forested municipality that wraps one corner of Lake Avándaro—about an hour-and-a-half southwest of Mexico City. That’s the south; now for the different.

The house is partially embedded in a slope overlooking the valley, and on top of it, crafted from railway sleeper cars is a car barn, or, better still, a horse barn. The architects designed the house so that its living areas are  below the level of the road that passes out front, making only the horse barn visible from the road. That’s the different, now for the smaller.

It's a 1500-square-foot one bedroom, two bathroom very open home that feels larger because of the openness of one side and the views beyond.

A large living room, with two seating areas and two fireplaces, occupies the center of the homey, with wide glass doors that open onto a terrace. Stone seats and tables are built into this patio area, which is fronted by a glass balustrade that permits unobstructed views of the valley. The living room is flanked by a bedroom and en-suite bathroom on one side, and a kitchen and second bathroom on the other. A large slate island stands in the middle of the kitchen and serves as both a dining table and a workspace. A large display case shows off old leather-bound suitcases and books, alongside crockery and specimen belljars.

It's rustic; it’s different; it’s small. It’s very cool.


Click to emBIGGERate ...

8 comments:

  1. This is usually more modern then I like...but because it's not so big and the use of natural materials and woods. I LOVE IT!!!! It gives it a warm, rustic feel which I love. The sleeper car use is fantastic and genius. Those horses are living in style. And that patio section would be lovely during this quarantine period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loves the horses!
    And the old suitcases.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @MM
    I think that's why I like it,too. Plus, Carlos loves horses so we could have some there!

    @TDM
    That's a nice horse bar, I must say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the idea of smaller houses that are planned to maximize space and comfort. I also like the integration of indoor/outdoor spaces. Fab.
    The idea of the horse barn camouflaging the comfort of the actual house is genius. Now gimme that bathroom. Gimme.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this I want this I need this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, it's so pretty out there.

    I'm literally speechless. So good! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't need a big place - just give me room for my music collection and my books and I'm golden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:26 PM

    That kitchen is something...Can I put in for another bedroom...Nothing big...Just enough for a guest...We can call it a multipurpose room with a sleeper couch...Something like that...

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......