Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Architecture Wednesday: Point Lonsdale Beach House


Ah, a beach house. Just the thing I need for lockdown. And this one, Point Lonsdale Beach House might just be the thing I need … unique, not too big, close to an ocean and in Australia.

The house is built as four distinct pavilions, all interlinked, and each with its own vaulted roof that marks out the different parts. Each of the four pavilions features its own private courtyards, within which are small gardens and decks designed for outdoor relaxation, along with access points to the gardens, and the beach.

The home that runs East to West, with the front on the property’s southern border in order to leave space behind for the lush gardens along the northern side. It was designed as an ‘island’ in the midst of a coastal landscape, elevated above other houses, and cantilevered slightly over the ground in an effort to level the terrain while doing minimal damage to the natural area. In coming years, the natural gardens from outside the plot will grow back up to its perimeter and blend visually with the gardens that belong to the actual home.

The house has two sleeping zones, each slightly removed towards the calming gardens at the back, linked by a central common area entirely covered in timber boards; the central placement of this room joins seamlessly with the wider back gardens through sliding glass doors. On one side of the  room, the longest timber wall opens up, thanks to a pivoting wall panel, into an outdoor living space designed to feel like the interior of the house is spilling right out into the sunshine and towards the beach.

Another pivoting wall leads to a slightly more private deck between the kitchen and the lounge space, providing owners and visitors with a space for shade and quiet that isn’t visible from elsewhere on the land. All these courtyards and small gardens, while peaceful and calming, also provide great flow of movement of coastal breezes and bright sunlight from room to room.

To me, it’s just an escape, though I have one quibble ...with all that gorgeous wood, why does the bathroom look like a prison john?.


Click to emBIGGERate ...

4 comments:

  1. I can again appreciate the design and aesthetic of the house, but this one is not my favorite. That is way to much wood. Did I just say that????

    I would have like to see a break up in all that wood with other textures or some color or tones of whites. It's over kill, and I agree about that bathroom...very cold. I was expecting someone to tell me to grab my ankles. The whole place feels like a gaint kindling pit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea of the pavilions is awesome. I’m all for it.
    It’s a little bit wood-y but I can live with that. I’d add three million plants, though...

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree regarding the bathroom.
    Also like the idea of 3 million
    plants.
    take care, xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the wood is gorgeous but it's too much of the same in terms of visual appeal, so doesn't work for me. I also agree about the bathroom. This one does nothing for me. I'll pass.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......