Monday, July 29, 2019

Jake Owen:Country Singer And LGBTQ Ally ... Believe

Of all the singers, in all the genres, in all the world, country singer Jake Owen released a cover of Cher’s 10998 hit “Believe” and dedicated it to the LGBTQ community—see a snippet of the song HERE, it's actually pretty good ... though it doesn't hurt much that Jake Owen is hot...

And naturally, because there are a lot of bigots and homophobes who listen to country music, when he received a negative anti-LGBTQ comment about the song, Jake said on Instagram:
“I believe #loveislove
Some of my closest friends and coworkers, are part of the #lgbt community and I couldn’t be more happy for the progress they have made. I’m inspired by people loving people no matter who you are. I BELIEVE the world needs more love. No matter where it comes from.
So with that said, I googled “gayest” songs of all time and the boys and I decided to put our country spin on Cher’s “Believe.” Hope you dig. I plan on releasing all of these backstage random songs we’ve created very very soon. Stay tuned friends, and most importantly, love everyone. 🌈”
And then another so-called fan responded:
“Suddenly I feel sick that I have tickets to your show here on Thursday night.”
And Jake wrote in response:
“I’m sorry you feel sick that you have tickets to my show Thursday night. Maybe it would do you good to come out, smile, laugh, sing along with a bunch of strangers that are all going through what we call “life.” I definitely didn’t delete your comment or anyone’s comment from this feed. It’s really only you and a few other ignorant people that make yourself look silly. If you make it out to my show, come give me a hug. You need one. If you decide not to come, trust me … we will all be okay. We like to share our shows with people that are kind, and loving.”
Thanks Jake, for being an ally, and for standing up to those who hate.

9 comments:

  1. I watched the snippet and it's great! Go, Jake, go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shallow as I am, my first thought was "crap he cut his hair!" I got over it :) Funny, I've never cared for Cher's version of this song. I much preferred Adam Lambert's take on the Kennedy Center Honors thingy. I can get into the toe tappiness of Jake's version. Other than that, ditto what Debra said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many LGBTQ people in country music, shit, who do you think does all that big hair? and designs the costumes? and runs the sound boards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice!
    Both he cover and the man!

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful human being and what a perfect response!

    ReplyDelete
  6. no idea who this guy is, but I'm down with his demeanor and his responses are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think he shows that he's man enough to say and do what he feels is right. I admire that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! A lot of country artists are starting to speak out. I have been meaning to post a video I stumbled on of a country song that I thought was sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......