Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Architecture Wednesday: Modern Maine Coastal Farmhouse


Well, I love a farmhouse and I love a house near the coats, so what could be better than a coastal farmhouse?

Answer: nothing.

This gorgeous, peaceful home overlooks Cape Elizabeth in Scarborough, Maine, about 20 minutes south from downtown Portland—if want some city life, you know.

The home was built on what was an expansive saltwater farm until the fields were cleared long ago for cultivation. Now it’s the perfect site for sweeping views of the rocky shoreline, distant islands, and a vast horizon.

An unremarkable home, built in the unremarkable 1970s, once sat on the same plot of land but the owners and their architect opted “Joan Crawford” the house, AKA tear it down, and rebuild from scratch to create a family getaway that was  “uniquely Maine”.

It’s perfect for the family, but has plenty of space for guests, in their own separate unit above the car barn, with a bedroom, bathroom, and sitting room with a gas stove and three built-in bunks.

So, y’all can come visit, or it could just be Carlos and me, but it would be a very peaceful place to unwind and relax.


Click to emBIGGERate ...

3 comments:

  1. Loverly, loverly. But needs fencing around
    the property and locked gates to keep the
    little boys from cavorting along the cliff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa!
    When can I move in? The ceilings, the light, the wood.
    Yes, please. I would like to have this house, I’d like to live here year round.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's my mood today, but all I keep thinking is "Beautiful coastal Maine... except for the mosquitoes of spring and summer and the snow, ice, and wind of fall and winter." I suppose I should take a look again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......