Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Steve Davies Comes Out

Thanks to Will for giving me
a link to the correct Steve Davies!
The first picture was wrong.
Steve Davies, an English wicketkeeper--and I have no idea what that means, though it sounds mildly erotic--has come out as a gay man, the country's first top cricketer to do so--oh, so wicketkeeper has to do with cricket, which is a sport, I think.

Steve Davies: "I'm comfortable with who I am and happy to say who I am in public. To speak out is a massive relief for me, but if I can just help one person to deal with their sexuality then that's all I care about. Gareth Thomas's story helped me. It showed me it can be done. He was brave enough to stand up and say who he was. If I can help anyone else like he helped me, that would be great." 

Davies said he came out to close friends and family when he was nineteen, but decided only to come out to his teammates recently; he told coach Andy Flower and captain Andrew Strauss who then passed on the news to the squad.

Now twenty-four, Davies said he was nervous about coming out to his team, but Andy Flower's reaction--he said he is 100% supportive--showed him that it was the right thing to do as "I felt I couldn't live like this any more. I didn't enjoy going on tour too much because of the secret...[m]y sexuality is an essential part of who I am, so I wanted the boys to know."

He also said he hopes cricket supporters will back his decision, because at "the end of my career I want to be remembered as a good cricketer, not just as a gay cricketer."

Welcome out, Steve.

Your copy of the Gay Agenda, as well as a Toaster Oven, are on the way.

source

2 comments:

  1. Remember Sunday afternoons in the Stanley Park, Vancouver, BC and seeing the cricket teams play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a very rough thumbnail rule, a wicketkeeper is to cricket what a catcher is to baseball.

    You have the wrong Steve Davies pictured. The lad in your snapshot is footballer Steve Davies, a striker for Derby (hence the reason he has a Derby logo). Here is what the cricketer Steve Davies looks like:

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/daviescricket

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......