Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Architecture Wednesday: Bell Canyon Cottage

Located in the San Fernando Valley, this enchanting custom-built home, set behind gates and up a private brick driveway, draws heavy inspiration from French Normandy style while still feeling ethereal and timeless. Custom woodwork and high-pitched cathedral ceilings bring vintage charm and warmth, and the flexible layout offers endless creative opportunities.

Inside, off the generous foyer, the formal living room showcases exposed beams, a bright bay window, and an oversized stone mantel with custom built-ins. The kitchen has been completely reimagined with soft, contemporary neutrals, views of the pool and a double-sided white brick fireplace that separates it from the den and adjacent office space; French doors out to the pool encourage frequent swim breaks while you work. A formal dining sits just beyond the kitchen.

One bedroom, with en suite bath is down one level, while upstairs there are two bedrooms sharing a Jack-and-Jill bath, and the Primary suite with tree top views, a huge walk-in closet, and a luxurious spa bath.

Outside, lush landscaping surrounds the hillside setting, and an equestrian barn atop the hill looks down over the gleaming pebble pool and spa. An attached three-car garage is an added bonus for car lovers and collectors.

Perfect for horses and cars and people!

As always, click to emBIGGERate ...

27 comments:

  1. I love it....more the interior then the exterior. But I'd be living in the master suite, especially in the bathtub, or out by the pool. The kitchen lacks in this one, but I love on the other touches, like the exposed brick, the beams, and all the dark wood against the white...very clean and uncluttered feel. Love that front door, and a nice, not fuzzy, floorplan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the kitchen is underwhelming, and the outside is less refined than the interiors but I could fix that!

      Delete
  2. Very nice indeed and a long way from being a cottage, but I hate the 'styled for sale' bedding display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit too large to be a cottage, yes, and the bedding is kinda fussy .... I like a good pillow, but I don't need that many!

      Delete
  3. Love it.
    I love the textures and the distribution. That living room fireplace? Yes. I also like that it feels very spacious (and it may not be, some of the rooms are not that big). The bathroom though, is the size of my first apartment.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that primary suite and bath ... I don't know that we'd need much more than that.
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Really nice! Love how bright and airy it is.
    Q: Wasn't Bell Canyon named for Rex Bell???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently, according to Google, the canyon gets its name from the distinctive bell-like sound that echoes through the area.

      Delete
  5. I like the pool, but that's probably because I'm so very sick of this triple digit weather we're having.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that were my pool I'd be living in it.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous11:34 AM

    the dog's mother
    Very nice.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cleora Borealis11:40 AM

    🥳 Oh, yah!! Now we're talkin'! Not a negative in sight (and believe that I look for them)! Bright and charming with a hint of whimsy...just like me! 😉 I love the free-form mirrors over the sinks in one bathroom! I am most grateful that we don't know a price tag on this one. It would ruin my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was listed at $2.9M and sold for $2.499M; a bargain!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The property, and area., seems quite nice.,

      Delete
  9. I won’t be hypercritical. I LOVE the spaces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does have nice bright spaces. I like the interior more than the exterior.

      Delete
    2. I agree. I didn’t think much of the total facade although I liked the zoom in on the entry itself.

      Delete
  10. I'm not a horse person, but I do love the giraffe. :)
    It is a beautiful house - a bit much for me, but lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the property, with all the trees and such, but it would be a lot of house and land.

      Delete
  11. Love the spaces---The light---The windows---I could put my stamp on it---

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd only change the kitchen and the exterior. I like the inside with some fresh furnishings and art.

      Delete
  12. No, that much house and that little kitchen? The only bedroom on the ground floor is only accessible through the bathroom? (Designed as a maids room.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that bedroom is down a half-flight of stairs, but I will give you that the kitchen is less than ideal.

      Delete
  13. It's pretty enough, but I don't like that kitchen, I think it should be more provincial. The exterior is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kitchen is a big turnoff; it doesn't seem big enough.

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......