Thursday, July 25, 2024

Bobservations

Not a Carlos story, but a true story about my mouth. The other morning as I was getting ready for work my phone rang:

“May I speak to Robert Slatten?”

“This is he.”

“How are you today, Mr. Slatten?”

“What can I do for you?”

“I’m Christine ______ from _____ Life and I see by our records you have a birthday coming up soon.”

“No. I don’t.”

“Oh, our records show your date of birth as August 2nd.”

“That’s not my birthday, that’s my father’s birthday. His name is Robert Slatten Jr.”

“Oh. I see the mix up—”

And then she says it:

“Do you think your father would be interested in life insurance?”

“I’m not sure, but considering he’s been dead since February, it looks like a hard pass.”

And then she makes it worse:

“I’m so sorry, please accept our condolences.”

“Thank you.”

“Any chance you’re interested in life insurance?”

“Seriously? You tried to sell life insurance to my dead father and now you want to sell it to me?”

“Well, I—”

:::click:::

This is another in a long list of reasons why I don’t like people.

This Tuxedo Memory is from August 2018 …

We had a bit of a scare last Friday involving the Greatest Cat in the World, Tuxedo.

See, our cats do not go outside, at least unattended. Tuxedo is allowed to walk along the railing with me by his side, or sit in my lap and take a siesta, but because of the rural nature of Casa Bob y Carlos, and the wild-ish animals who roam nearby, it’s not a good thing to let cats wander.

That said, over the course of time we’ve lived here Tuxedo has escaped a handful of times and has always been lured back inside by the promise of treats.

Last Friday, Carlos got up, let the dog out, fed the cats and made the coffee; we had breakfast and chatted and then I got up from the table …

“Where’s Tuxedo?”

“I don’t know, He was here for breakfast.”

"Did he get out when you let the dog in?”

“I don’t know.”

We began the search; through the house, in all the bedrooms, the office, the laundry room, the sunroom; under couches or on tables; in closets where perhaps a door was closed on him; in the bathroom.

No Tuxedo. I head out back, treats in hand, shaking the bag…

“TUXEDO! TUXEDO! TUXEDO!”

No Tuxedo. I go into the front yard …

“TUXEDO! TUXEDO! TUXEDO!”

No Tuxedo. Now I am scared and getting annoyed because I think Carlos missed him when he ran outside and so all kinds of thoughts—of what happened to the cat and what I will do to Carlos—are racing through my head.

“TUXEDO! TUXEDO! TUXEDO!”

Back inside; no cat. I then check every single cupboard in the kitchen, the laundry room and all the bathrooms, shaking that damned bag of treats as I go …

“TUXEDO! TUXEDO! TUXEDO!”

In the master bathroom, I look into a cupboard; no cat. I turn … and there he is, sitting in the bathtub.

See, the night before we’d given all the cats a hit of Advantage because they were scratching a lot. You give Advantage at the base of their neck, so they can’t lick it off.

Tuxedo, because he is so smart, thought he’d wait until Mean Daddy—his name for Carlos—got out of the shower and then he would roll around on the bottom of the tub so see if he could rub the Advantage off.

He got yelled at for disappearing and big smooch from Nice Daddy—that’s what he calls me—for being safe.

In the car, later, driving Carlos to work, I said:

“Sorry for all those hateful things I said about you when we couldn’t find Tuxedo.”

“You didn’t say anything mean to me.”

“In my head, sweetheart in my head.”

“Oh, I expect it was especially vicious then.”

“Yes.”

And luckily, just in my head.

Premise: You have 5 minutes before you die. What are you going to do? Well, I am going to text to a friend saying if they don't send that text to 10 other people immediately, I'll die in 5 minutes.

I’m going out with a laugh!

In the two days since President Biden dropped out of the race for reelection, Vote.org saw more than 38,500 people register to vote, a nearly 700% spike.

Vote.org  hopes to register 8 million voters before November’s election and says that 500,000 have already registered so far, including a record number of 18-year-old new voters.

Onward into the Blue.

More good news … Michigan has become the 20th state to ban the Gay Panic Defense thanks to Democrat Governor Gretchen Whitmer. The “gay panic” or “trans panic” legal defense allows defendants to argue that discovering a victim’s sexual orientation or gender identity justifies assault and even murder.

No, it doesn’t. Thanks Governor Whitmer.

Y’all heard that The Felon wants to eliminate taxes for tipped workers, right? Well, here’s the deal … 33% of tipped employees are too low wage to pay any income taxes so they would never see any tax cut. But since there is no cap on what counts as a ‘tip’ this plan creates a loophole for hedge fund managers, lawyers and other high-income professionals to take a huge tax cut by dubbing their massive bonuses as ‘tips.’

The rich get richer under The Felon while low-income workers suffer.

VOTE BLUE!!

And more good news ... Jim Kohlberg, chairman and co-founder of the private equity firm Kohlberg & Co., has pledged $30 million to launch a center to push for overhauling the corrupt SCOTUS. Maybe find a way to rid the court from the grifters and liars and cheats.

Let’s do this!

Anilton Cabral is a male model who lives on Praia, Cape Verde, a tiny island off the West coast of Africa, but that’s not what this is about: Would You Hit It?

49 comments:

  1. I have been known to say very mean things to phone solicitors. You were kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have been more awful but I held back a bit????

      Delete
  2. Oh, that Tweet of the Week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does Kohlberg take donations? I'd chip in to stop those scumbags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, so Mr. Cabral: call me.
    And that Tuxedo story is typical kitty. Yep.
    I'm fascinated but how people have reacted to the idea of Kamala as president. And it gives me hope...

    I have this scorn/pity relationship with phone solicitors that allows me to entertain them for seven seconds before I say something outrageous.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuxedo was a very smart cat indeed.
      Normally I would tell them they have a wrong number but I do have people calling about my dad and his estate, etc, so I try to maintain some composure until I know who they are ... then all bets are off.
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. I just don't answer the phone if I don't know the number.
    You are so funny, Bob. You and Carlos must have a lot of laughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally don't answer but with things to do with my dad's estate I think I need to answer more often than not.
      Carlos and I do laugh a lot!

      Delete
  6. Ha! I love Paul Rudnick.

    A bonus and a tip are hardly the same thing. I can't imagine the IRS will allow that for a second.

    As for the phone solicitor, you gotta admire her ability to adapt to the situation, even if it was also tacky and offensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rudnick is great on Xwitter.
      That tip thing is a lie to get people to vote for The Felon.
      I was stunned when she started asking ME about life insurance!

      Delete
  7. Anonymous10:38 AM

    I was born in Hartford, the Insurance capital. Lots of companies with huge office buildings and highly paid executives. I always considered insurance partly a scam and ponzi scheme. But they've made it almost a necessity, at least for auto and homes. I can do without life insurance however.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annonymous is Frank. Why is this so difficult?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if it's Google or what; I don't seem to have an issue commenting. I wish I could help.

      Delete
  9. Having worked in Crown Court I've come across some pretty stupid reasons to murder someone (including for the victim's shoes) but discovering someone's sexual orientation as a defence for murdering them.....I'm left gobsmacked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens more than you think, and in some states the murderer gets off because a gay man hit on him!

      Delete
  10. Anonymous11:36 AM

    Cats are known to put their owners through the wringer with worry.
    Only to have the owners end up worried over nothing. Tuxedo had cat smarts trying to remove what was nasty stuff to him. -Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuxedo was a genius, yes indeed.

      Delete
  11. Cleora Borealis11:50 AM

    I always share your Tuxedo stories and photos with my own orange/blonde tabby "Payday," who gets mighty impressed (and jealous, I think)! Well, Payday told me he wishes Tuxedo was still around to join the #MillionMeowMarch against JD Vance...for that guy's nasty cracks against cat ladies!! Payday asked me why a US Senator doesn't use his real name and has changed it so many times. I told him "Vance" is a self-loathing psychopath who figures we won't like the real him either...he's dead right on that one!! ✊😻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to say that Vivian is my favorite Vance.
      And Tuxedo would have a field day with JD!

      Delete
  12. Always spot on, but the last tweet was a chef's kiss and made both of us laugh out loud! (Yes, I read these to the MITM over breakfast coffee!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tweet was high-larious!

      Delete
  13. Overhauling the Supreme Court is going to become a priority. The number of register voters is continuing to grow. Republicans are not happy. Actually, they're enraged. Their hatred is almost palpable because they were played by an 81 year old man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love seeing the GOP all in a kerfuffle these days.
      I needed a good laugh!

      Delete
  14. Surely Melonoma saw more in DJT than just money. Perhaps when they were dating DJT would recite love poetry to her..."Should I compare thee to a summer's day?" as they sweet-talked in some romantic green bower within the boundaries of the Mar-a-Lago estate. Mind you she also used him to get her parents into The States. No boundary wall there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She saw a fat orange bank account who was married to someone else and then she lay down like a rat, tipped her heels to Jesus and deserves whatever she gets.
      Anchor Baby, that one.

      Delete
  15. Anonymous2:21 PM

    the dog's mother
    (Carlos) (Tuxedo-always)
    That tweet of the week!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know, I once asked you if your last name rhymed with satin or Satan, you politely told me to eff off! Just kidding. You weren't polite. I now know which one I'm using. I'm also probably remembering wrong. Love ya, Bobulah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no wonder I would get along with Bob so well. It would be like Lisa Lampanelli and Don Rickles hanging out.

      Delete
    2. Satin, henny, smooth as stain!
      Love you Duchess Deedles!

      Delete
    3. Oh Maddie we could read a room for filth!

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the clarification, Bob. I know way too many people who spell their names one way and pronounce them another. I make no assumptions.

      Delete
    5. Many people say "Slayton." I don't get that!

      Delete
  17. I wouldn’t say no to Anilton. We definitely need Kohlberg. I’ve been stressing about how we’ll ever get out from under this corrupt and hateful supreme court. As for your first three entries, I love the way you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an odd brain up in this head of mine!

      Delete
  18. A shame that this up spike in people registering to vote took Biden dropping out...but we'll take it and hopefully lots of blue voters!!!!

    Your phone call happened to me once....but I said to the man I was already on my death bed and would mostly likely be dead the next day as i was at the end of my expectancy to live by a year....and he still insisted on a hard sell. I told him to be shouldn't aggravate a dying person...after he went on their was crickets. My friend who is just as evil said she had to hang the phone up as I'd just died!!!!

    Love the Tuxedo story this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuxedo was, as my grandmother would say about an overly precocious child, a "pistol."
      And I like to think I was a pistol on that phone call!

      Delete
  19. I can see why you don't like people. Sorry you had to deal with that. It is just awful how insensitive people are these days. Great news about the new voters and cleaning up SCOTUS. Take care and if I haven't said it in a bit, thanks for sharing those Tuxedo memories. I love seeing him and reading about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still get a little teary-eyed rereading posts about The Great tuxedo.
      Have a great weekend, Mr. Shife and the Shife-ettes!

      Delete
  20. aussieguy7:11 PM

    Oh you’re a vile person…but we all know you relish having the reputation! 😎 Yes, I’ve had those annoying calls and my withering sarcasm was certainly not lost on them! Your pet stories are always a treasure to read, not withstanding poor Carlos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am vile; I wear it proudly. So don't call me with your nonsense.
      Carlos is a delight, even when I'm thinking vile thoughts about him because I THOUGHT he'd dome something!

      Delete
  21. The tweet is funny.
    "Have you seen Tuxedo?" "He's taking a bath."
    Anilton is nice enough, with many different styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Tweet is spot on.
      Tuxedo knew how to handle the Advantage!
      Anilton does have many looks, and I enjoy them all!

      Delete
  22. Overhauling SCOTUS has to be the best idea I've heard all week.
    Onward into the blue indeed, thank you all those new young voters.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved the story about Tuxedo. When I can't locate Shirley, I just look for a big black blob in her usual spots. I never thought about the fact that cats can go in many unusual and different places. It would be great if the Supreme Court could be overhauled. For one, there needs to be term limits. And the constitution never mentions things about term limits or the number of justices, so maybe it is something than could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Somehow I missed this post. In any event, I'm surprised you didn't go more crankypants on the insurance salesperson.
    Paul Rudnick for the win!!!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......