Monday, May 31, 2021

The Calm One? Not so much.

I am The Calm One. I’m the one family seeks out for advice because I am non-nonsense and get-to-the-point. I am the Executor of my father’s estate because he knows I am detailed oriented and will handle it well. But if all this is true, please to explain what happened this weekend.

A little side story: when Carlos worked in Columbia, he would call as he was leaving to tell me he was on his way home. It’s about a 45 minute to an hour drive, so I’d plan on when he’d be home. But, when that time passed, and he still wasn’t home, my mind ran, not walked, into dead-in-a-ditch territory. And stayed there until Carlos walked into the house and said he’d stopped to get gas, or remembered something to get from the market.

The Calm One? Perhaps not.

We were home on Saturday, recovering from Prick #2, feeling really tired and a little sore in the arm. Carlos was napping and I was reading in the living room. The phone rang—we have a land line, don’t judge—and, as is my wont, I chose not to answer it. I heard the machine pick up—again, don’t judge me—and what sounded like a recorded message; I thought nothing of it and went back to my book.

But the message gnawed at me, and so I went into the office and pressed play; it still sounded like some recorded message and was something about a health emergency for Robert Slatten. Me? I figured it was nonsense, and erased it; I thought maybe it was a check-up call about our second dose, but then …

My father and I have the same name. Roberg Slatten. Medical emergency. What the … ? I checked the time. Two o’clock here, so 11AM at Dad’s and, if his schedule hadn’t changed, he was at the Oregon Coast Aquarium where he volunteers one day a week. I called his cell phone, but my dad doesn’t bring it into the aquarium. I called his house; no answer.

So, I called again and again. And I worried that the “medical emergency” caller would try back since they didn’t get an answer. I checked the time: 4PM, 1PM Dad’s time. He would be leaving the aquarium, so I tried the cell phone; no answer. I called the house; no answer. My mind went there: Dad’s dead and I didn’t pick up the phone.

I called the house again. I thought about calling the aquarium to see if he’d volunteered that day, but I couldn’t get through. 5PM here. He’d surely be home by 2PM. He has to let the dog out. I called the house; no answer. I looked up the phone number for the local police, you know, just in case. I found the number for the local hospital, too. 6PM; I tried the house and the cell phone; I checked his Facebook page to see when he’d last posted. I called again.

And, since I was losing my mind, and certain that my father was dead, I opted to keep Carlos out of the loop, because, while I knew my father was dead, I had no proof. We ate dinner; I called again; 6PM, no answer.

That was it. It was after seven, and I hadn’t heard a thing. I was calling the police in his town, or in the neighboring town and would have them bust down the door to his home. I reached for the phone as it started to ring. The Caller ID was Dad’s number. My mind said, “It’s your brother, you didn’t answer that call earlier and they called him and he drove up to Oregon and found Dad dead and is now calling from Dad’s house to give you the news.”

I picked up the phone; it was my dad.

“You called me? [Extra long pause pause] About fifty times?”

I don’t think it was fifty; it couldn’t have been more than forty.

The Calm One then had a nice chat with my dad who stayed longer at the aquarium because it was a holiday weekend and they had a much larger crowd than anticipated. After that I went to the living room and told Carlos that I was insane. He smiled and said to tell him something he didn’t know.

How as your weekend?

19 comments:

  1. This had me biting what's left of my nails and sitting on the edge of my seat! I know it's none of my business, but after all that, was there a medical emergency? Nosy people want to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:16 AM

    A pessimist is rarely disappointed.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:21 AM

    PS Happy that your father is OK.

    PPS For you - nobody has ever really died of embarrassment.

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think under the circumstances all your reactions were normal and warranted. One time when my father was still alive, my brother called to say dad had fallen again. Tim and I and my sister were immediately in the car and driving four hours across the state of Arizona to his house. My brother's wife met us in the driveway with a serious expression. Turned out he'd fallen because he was drinking beer all night. My brother didn't want to tell us that part, so we blitzed across the state discussing hospital and nursing homes. So, yeah, not only were your feelings normal and warranted, they've been shared by nearly every child everywhere at one time or another. Be well, my friends, it's a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Deedles
    I later checked the phone number online and it was a scam number. I probably should have done that first!

    @Joe
    It was just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story...glad your dad is OK...but the cliffhanger is "What was the original mysterious message on you answering machine?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was driving home from work in Connecticut when a freak storm hit PLUS tornado. Unheard of. It was the '80s. No cell phones. My half-hour drive took 2 hours. SG was in a panic. When I got home he had to start phoning his entire family. He had called every single one of them and left the message. "There's a tornado. Mitchell was on the road and nobody knows where he is now!" Thanks to San Geraldo, I'm known as the calm one. That was never the case any other time in my life. Glad your father (and you) are OK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since you have a landline and an answering machine maybe we should get dad a pager...We don't want you going off half-cocked...

    I couldn't resist.

    Glad that dad is ok. We can't change you now but I have to remind myself in those Bob times to act on only what I know for sure. My mind can race as well.

    Have a great Monday and week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It still doesn't explain that first emergency medical call!

    ReplyDelete
  10. whew!
    Glad it was just a scam
    call. Take care.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Frank
    It was some sort of scam call. I Googled the number and saw that, but even that didn’t cure my insanity!

    @Mitchell
    Well, in your story, I would be SG!
    Dad’s just laughing at the numerous calls and hang-ups on his Caller ID!!

    @Victor
    From the look on Carlos’ face when I confessed my insanity, I was fully cocked. Usually, I am the calm pragmatic one, but there’s something about someone not being where they normally are supposed to be that causes me to sail off into the deep end!


    @Debra
    It was some scam, that apparently does “Medical Alert”—sounds like Life Alert—and alarm systems going off kind of calls.
    Next time, my first stop is to Google the number!!


    @TDM
    Me, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK -- I had the same question as Deedles. I'm glad to know the call was apparently a scam, but what a weird scam! Thank goodness your dad was OK!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sense of stress building up in your written words is plain for us readers. But, phew! Huge relief at the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have an imagination that can run away from me, so I get your pain. Glad to hear he was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SOunds perfectly normal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you think this scam was bad, wait until you're 65. There are seniors who fall prey to this bullshit every day and foolishly give a credit card number over the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would have done the same things you did! Glad it was a false alarm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i would have done the same.
    with some crying inserted at key times.

    so glad your dad was ok, though...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so laid back I could fall over - except when it has anything to do with my kids! My son has been married (and divorced) and is now living with me until mid-July, but if he's just 10 minutes late back home (we're still under curfew here in France) I start having a "Robert Slatten" moment too!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......