Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Architecture Wednesday: London Slender House

Who wouldn’t want to live in the narrowest house in London? This slender home—sounds nicer than ‘tiny house’—is sandwiched between two storefronts in the Shepherd’s Bush neighborhood and isn’t really that small.

Sure, it’s just six feet wide—meaning I couldn’t sleep wall to-to-wall without bending my legs—but it is also five floors of living, making it a very surprising 1,034 square feet of living space.

You enter a small … of course … foyer that opens to the main living room, which features an original fireplace, and is at the rear of the home. A wide window on the back wall, overlooking the private outdoor garden area, allows ample natural light to create a bright and airy aesthetic in the small space.

The kitchen and dining area are located one floor down on the lower ground level; the kitchen sits as the front of the home, with the dining area in the rear, and features black-framed, double-height glass doors that open to the private patio in the back garden. Though small in size, the kitchen has ample cabinetry, with expansive wood countertops that provide plenty of space for meal prepping.

Two levels up from the kitchen, the first-floor features one of the home’s two bedrooms, along with a small study area; a small roof terrace can be accessed from this level. Up another flight of stairs is the bathroom, which takes up an entire floor, with the other bedroom on the top floor, with a balcony that looks down into the bathroom below.

It's not everyone’s cup of tea, and I might feel a bit claustrophobic in a six-foot wide house, and loathe the climbing of the stairs, but it is quite a home for just the right person!

If you have  £950K or $1,339,737 US dollars.

 

 Dwell

12 comments:

  1. Oh, no, no! My feet wouldn't fit into this place, let alone the rest of this gorgeous *cough* round body! My rule of thumb: Never drive cars nor live in houses that I have to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to live there if it were just me and a cat. It's too small and narrow for any more inhabitants than that. The big downside (apart from the price) would be doing all those stairs! On the other hand -- free exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is cute...but I have the feeling I'd have to grease my ass to get around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. eek, too small and
    narrow for moi. But then
    I lived in a tent for 6
    weeks last time we were in
    England.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can not tell you how angry this made me when I saw it on the Beeb; house prices round here are bad enough, but London prices are just obscene. Cleaners, dustbinmen/women, firemen/women etc. cannot afford to live anywhere near their work and have a 4 hour daily commute just to get paid the minimum wage (if they are lucky).

    @TDM next time you come over you can pitch your tent in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautifully designed inside and I love that garden, but the photos do a great job of exaggerating the width. 6 feet is much more narrow in real life and all those (also narrow) stairs would get old really fast. I'd love to know the original history of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a fantastic use of space.
    They did a great job with the paint and the distribution of the rooms. As Mitchell said, the lens makes it look wider than it probably feels.
    As a tiny house though, it's super cute and bigger than some I've seen. Love the backyard garden!
    And in London it's probably worth a pretty penny.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some interesting ideas, and a great interior for a small space, the stairs would kill me. The narrowest house in the USA is 7 feet wide, but only 2 stories, about 1/3 of the floor space of this, and near where I live.https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/virginia/spite-house-va/

    ReplyDelete
  9. @LadyDeedles
    I couldn’t do the narrow. If I can lay down only in one direction, I’ll pass.

    @Debra
    Yeah, I don’t think even a couple could do it. Imagine trying to pass one another on the stairs!!!

    @Maddie
    I thought your ass was already greased!! =)

    @TDM
    I wouldn’t do the tent or the slender house!

    @Helen
    It’s a free market, which sounds like a fair idea, but it’s not really.

    @Mitchell
    Yeah, the photos make it look like a looooong six-feet!

    @Six
    It is a good use of very little space, but day-to-day, for more than one person, it would be too much in too little.

    @Travel
    Funny how both slender houses are painted blue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @MwM this link might interest you https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-56104610

    ReplyDelete
  11. And this says it all about the insanity of London real estate prices. For a couple of years I lived in an apartment in New York that was nine feet wide, and I thought THAT was too narrow.

    And it looks like the garden is the same width as the house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Helen: And it's not just working people who can't afford London. Many professionals are also priced out -- while the super-wealthy and overseas buyers have multiple homes for "investment purposes," thus distorting the market even further.

    @Mitchell: I too would love to know the history here. I wonder if it was built to fit that gap, or if it was once a normal terraced house that was sliced in half vertically when something bigger went up next door.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......