Friday, June 19, 2020

I Didn't Say It ...


Robert W. Lee IV, minister, activist, and fourth great-nephew of Confederate Robert E. Lee, on NASCAR’s announcement to ban Confederate flags at races:

“They may recruit some fans, they may lose some fans but ultimately there’s going to be people that need to have the deep conversations about what it means to be a southern sport, a primarily southern sport. And also be engaged in conversations about what it means to confront racism. To see this change, this shift happen so fast, gives me a lot of hope in humanity. The work continues."

Robert W. Lee has been active is getting Confederate statues removed from government buildings for years.
He should have a statue, not these So-called Southern heroes.
Dave Chappelle, in his new Netflix special 8:46, on the death of George Floyd and the reaction of CNN anchor Don Lemon:

“When I watched that tape, I understood this man knew he was going to die. People watched it. People filmed it. And for some reason that I still don’t understand, all these f*cking police had their hands in their pockets. Who are you talking to? What are you signifying? That you can kneel on a man’s neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds and feel like you wouldn’t get the wrath of God? That is what is happening right now. It’s not for a single cop. It’s for all of it. F*ck all of it. I don’t mean to get heavy but we gotta say something. [And then] I’m watching Don Lemon, that hotbed of reality. He says, where are all these celebrities? Why aren’t you all talking? Does it matter about celebrity? No. This is the streets talking for themselves. They don’t need me right now. I kept my mouth shut and I will still keep my mouth shut.”

The police are signifying that they can capture, put on trial, find guilty, and punish by death anyone they want.
And while I do think celebrity voices help spur those regular people on, we don’t just need famous voices, we need all voices.
Don Lemon, CNN host, responding to Dave Chappelle on CNN’s New Day:

“I think that the young people who are out there in the streets don’t really care what we have to say. They think that part of the world that we created and what we did, maybe we didn’t move fast enough and maybe we weren’t strong enough. So they are out there fighting and said, ‘Listen, we are tired of what is happening. We tried to do it nicely and we tried to do it peacefully and we have tried to do all these things and you rejected it.’ They are not only speaking to white people in this country but all of us in the establishment. So I agree with him in that way. But I do think that this is not a moment for modesty. I think that this is a moment that we should all be using our platform to do whatever we can, and at least to show young people and those out there that we support them, and it doesn’t mean taking all of the credit for it or speaking out for them. I think they can do that on their own. …But I think they need to know that people like Dave Chappelle or people like me or whoever supports them. And that’s all they need to know.”

Urge all people to stand against racism; call the racists out by name; video them for social media; shine that light; show the world this is not how America should be in 2020.
This shit has gone on too long.
Jaime Juanillo was chalking ‘Black Lives Matter’ on a wall outside his home when Sidewalk Karen, AKA skincare CEO ‘Karen’ Lisa Alexander, called the police on him:

“If enough people see incidents like this, then maybe people will actually think about it and change their behavior. … She kind of said this very clearly, placating, condescending, speaking-to-a-fifth-grader tone. And that’s what I responded to. … You can presume that she knew by calling the police that I could possibly die. She was OK with that. Even knowing that I was just working with chalk, she’s willing to call men with guns.”

Juanillo, a gay man, has lived there for 18 years and was married in the backyard. He says that, after the incident, Alexander and her husband walked by the home again and he tapped on the glass, getting their attention.
They ran away … which is what racists do when you shine a light on them.
Khary Payton, actor, introducing his transgender son on social media:

“This my kid. One of the most happy, well-adjusted individuals I’ve ever known. My son, Karter. Karter with a K because it reminded him of my name. He chose it. You see, he was born female but has always identified as a boy. He thought it would be cool if I announced it on social media. I told him that there would be so many supporters but also a lot of jerks who would be harsh. He said, ‘Yeah, I know about trolls, daddy. I can handle trolls.’ Man, there is nothing more beautiful than watching your child feel the joy of exploring what it means to be true to themselves. This is his journey, and I am here for it. I hope you all have the opportunity to feel the unquenchable love that I am feeling right now.”

And once again, that’s how you handle having a trans child; let them be, support them, help them, love them.
Pablo Alborán, Spanish pop singer, coming out on social media:

“As you are all aware, the world has been giving us bittersweet news lately. We all feel strange, reconsider our lives, careers, what does and doesn’t make us happy. I think that we often forget the love that unites us, that makes us stronger and better humans. Today, from that love, I have the need to share something very personal … Today, I want my voice to be louder and for it to have more value and weight. I’m here to tell you that I am homosexual and it’s okay. Life goes on, everything will remain the same, but I’m going to be a little happier than I already am. I have been lucky enough to been raised at a home where I had the freedom to be who I wanted to be, but unfortunately, there are so many people that did not have the same experience I did. That is precisely why today, with no fear, I hope I can make somebody’s journey easier with this message. But above all, I do this for me. Music is freedom, I want to feel as free as my songs. I want to be coherent, consistent, 100% true to myself. … A warm hug, live it up, life’s too short not to.”

Welcome out you hot hunk of Hispanic manliness.
Sorry, y’all know Ioves me some Latino mens. But, welcome out, Pablo, and please accept as our gift from HOMO HQ the Official Coming Out Toaster Oven™ and a copy of the Gay Agenda.
Sing. Out.
Bruce Springsteen, bashing _____ on his From My Home to Yours program on SiriusXM:

“With 100,000 plus Americans dying over the last few months and the empty, shamed response from our leaders, I’ve been simply pissed off. Those lives deserve better than being simply inconvenient statistics for our president’s reelection efforts. It’s a national disgrace. Instead of celebrating the joys of summer today, we will be contemplating our current circumstances with the coronavirus and the cost it has drawn from our nation. We will be calculating what we’ve lost, sending prayers for the deceased and the families they have left behind. So, if you are ready for a rock & roll requiem, stay tuned. I’m going to start out by sending [a song dedication] to the man sitting behind the resolute desk. With all respect, sir, show some consideration and care for your countrymen and your country. Put on a fucking mask. This is Bob Dylan with ‘Disease of Conceit.'”

Nicely put, Boss.

8 comments:

  1. You see, Bruce is a good example of saying something while being a celebrity. I have a beef with Chappelle because he’s very transphobic (and slightly homophobic, while wearing athlesure wear in his special?) His special was, appropriately somber, though. And NASCAR does have a situation there, Mr. Lee does have a point.
    I hope Juanillo gave that Karen a good taste of fuck you. She was super creepy concern, though.
    Yay for coming out! And yay for parents accepting their kids!

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, yay for coming out and yay for
    supporting your kids!
    stay safe, xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Bruce. I wish more celebs would follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not understand all these petty people who object to their neighbours and others doing things they don't approve of. If it's not hurting you (like a six year old selling lemonade on the pavement) then just walk on by! It won't hurt you not to make a fuss. So someone writes black lives matter on the wall in chalk, agree with them that black lives DO matter (try it, you'll find it doesn't hurt), not call the police.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the story about Karter Payton!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "we don’t just need famous voices, we need all voices" - RIGHT ON!

    "Urge all people to stand against racism; call the racists out by name; video them for social media; shine that light; show the world this is not how America should be in 2020. This shit has gone on too long." - FUCK YEAH!

    Jamie & Khary & Pablo - making the world better.

    boss is looking old, but speaks truth to power.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bruce has always had a way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sat next to Pablo Alborán on a flight from NY to Malaga about 4 years ago. Dreamy. REALLY dreamy! His was an open secret here, but so proud he has finally shared the news. NOW, he’s even dreamier. And a hometown (Málaga) boy!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......