Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Architecture Wednesday: A Home in Wine Country


There are few places I like more on earth than the Napa Valley … and not just because of the wine, though that’s a big part of it. Napa is everything, rich and poor, conservative and quirky, peaceful and bustling. So that’s what brings me to this house, on a hillside, down a meandering drive, above the valley; a modern. open airy retreat that screams California indoor-outdoor living.

And, yeah, again, wine.

The house sits on twenty-one acres of oak-studded meadow and is a hair under 5,000 square feet with five bedrooms and four bathrooms. There is a huge great room, with windows on both sides, one side opening to a massive terrace, firepit  and pool, and those views. An open kitchen, with what is called a working kitchen behind, with more storage and spaces to work so that the main kitchen doesn’t look messy when guests arrive; who wants that? There’s a simple calming master bedroom with a fabulous bath and soaking tub with views. A two-story wine cellar with a glass floor from the top half into the lower half, located on the lower level of the home.

So, I guess it is the wine for me.

6 comments:

  1. This one looks a little too institutional for my lack of taste, even with the splash of red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always, the views.
    A friend bought a house in Colorado.
    They use the wine cellar as kitty
    litter central. chortle!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wine is always important. Not that I'd know, because I only drink dessert wines, but hey. I love the location, the views are stunning. Also, water features always get me. And that bathroom!
    I also like the Scandinavian vibes. I'd add plants and nothing else.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not the best way to store wine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love It. Except for the size. Hotel? What a great idea to ornament your walls with colorful glass bottles! Oh, never mind... YOU might have a hard time keeping the wall filled... unless you put up the empty bottles.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......