Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Architecture Wednesday

I have kind of always wanted an English Manor House. I love the old architecture and the sense of history, but...living in England? With their warm beer and awful food? Learning to speak the language? I may have to rethink.....
Until I stumbled upon this little cottage. Well, maybe little cottage is wrong, but this home, Garrison Field is its name, is a private oceanfront country estate in Maine, sitting on 14 acres fronting the Atlantic Ocean. It was built in the style of a Cotswolds, England-style country manor house and is clad in smooth sandstone and looks like it's been here since Henry was King.
There are eleven bedrooms, six bath residence, with eight fireplaces, a Great Room presenting a soaring thirty-two foot cathedral ceiling with hammer-beamed arches, carved stone fireplace and triple-tiered lead-pane windows facing the gardens.
And, of course, there is the Great lawn that runs down to the sea. I picture myself, my petticoats fluttering as I run to the sand after a rousing game of croquet. 
The country lifestyle is enhanced with a heated swimming pool in a walled garden courtyard, a seaside conservatory and separate carriage house quarters....for the help, you know, because one simply must have help. 
Located way up in Maine, it is convenient to Cape Elizabeth village, and just five miles to the historic Old Port of Portland with its cultural and business amenities, Garrison Field is a special place in Maine.
Special indeed. And for the low, low price of $6.25 million.

source

11 comments:

  1. Just a modest little house in the country...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ever win Powerball/Mega Millions, I will SO hire you to become my full-time Realtor. I swear, every single Architecture Wednesday post you've ever done has been pure perfection. Not once have I read one of these posts and gone "meh" (and for my jaded ass that's saying something).

    Every post has put me in a full-on swoon - including this one.

    Carry on...

    XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. What David said, truly...

    BUT...

    What about the neighbors?
    Dubya & such?

    Better a brownstone in Harlem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A darling summer home. It reminds me of Sting's home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet little place. But that's an awful lot of dusting. You may want to rethink it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. shame on you
    warm beer and awful food!

    we have fridges you know!!!and the occassional **** Cafe!
    as for a british house.. that hose is as British looking as my arse!!!

    ( which is Welsh by the way!)
    now this is a real British house
    note the difference!!!

    http://www.bodysgallen.com/

    ie taste and history!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I wouldn't have to move too far. We'd have to hire some help for tending the grounds. I like gardening, but not THAT much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could live in the carriage house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could also so live in England! Would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:28 PM

    It's not my style of house but I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Houses like this are all very fine to look at and to fantasise about, but my mind always comes down with a bump when I think of (a) the Winter heating bills (b) the cost of effective security and (c)it would give me the creeps at night. Even if I was a multi-multi millionaire and could pay for the first two I'd still think I'd rather live in a spacious flat (apartment) with reliable, friendly neighbours on each side.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......