Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: Vermont Modern Farmhouse

Y’all know I love an old barn, but I also love a new barn … or a brand new farmhouse built to resemble a barn.

This modern farmhouse barn sits on 210-acres of the Green Mountains in Woodstock, Vermont. Studio Rick Joy—the Arizona-based architect—specializes in desert modernist-style, but created this stone-and-cedar gable farmhouse and barn for snowy Vermont.

The 3,890-square-foot farmhouse structure and adjacent barn-entertainment space was inspired by the local style and materials. Besides the main house, there is a large guesthouse to accommodate visitors.

The simple gabled forms use locally sourced materials—pine wood shingles in the barn and Lake Champlain bedrock in the house—combined with clean lines and natural light to produce a subtle dappled effect on the structures.

But it isn’t just stone and pine; a modern steel frame, along with structural insulated panels, allowed for quick construction, while providing efficient insulation for Vermont’s four-season climate.

I love the stone, rough and ancient, along with the simple clean lines of the interior, and the glass that lets loads of sunlight into each room. And that bathtub … Carlos might never get me out of that tub as I soak through the changes of each season!

And I love that this modern farmhouse fits so well into the landscape and that the property still features a typical Vermont stone wall that is roughly 200 years old and left untouched by the builders.

As always, click to emBIGGERate...

11 comments:

  1. Sorry, this one's a little too industrialized and churchey for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. Too cold and impersonal. Also, I can see myself wedged in that tub with no one there with a crowbar and crane to get me out. BH would just be rolling on the floor laughing his cute little ass off. So not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting melding of old and new.
    And, as always, outside views are wonderful.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't hate. I don't love it. A bit too modern for me. A bit to baron for me. But I love the location...near nothing. But i might stop in to just soak in the tub.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful home

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd rather live in a cardboard box. It would be much more comfy. All those built in clutter keepers? No thank you. And the furnishings are awful... no comfort to be found in any of that except, perhaps, the sectional sofa. My heart did soar when we got to the barn because I like party spaces with high ceilings... and I would love to have a concert there or a disco. But the rest. No thank you. Nice setting, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it.
    But because it does NOT have any farmhouse (the trend) stuff. I cannot understand the bathtub AND the bed together though.
    I can live with the high, high ceilings, though.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Dave
    I don’t get church, but I do get industrial and I like it!


    @Deedles
    I will personally hire a silver fox to get you in and out of the tub at your convenience.

    @TDM
    The land is gorgeous!
    xoxo


    @Maddie
    I like the sleekness of it all, and that tub, along with a bottle or two of a nice Pinot Noir is calling my name.


    @Adam
    Sleek and modern set amid gorgeous surroundings.


    @upton
    The built-ins keep the clutter out of sight. And I won’t make you take the furnishings, except for the couch!


    @Six
    Yes, it isn’t that HGTV farmhouse; it’s sleek farmhouse, with old stone walls.
    I like the tub with a view, but, yeah, me taking a soak while Carlos snores would not be ideal.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes and No, I like the structure, the concrete steps at the entry are problematic as we get older. The tub in the bedroom would have to go, and besides a bathtub on a wood floor is asking for water damage. The secondary bedrooms are kinds of all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this one, particularly the stonework and that bathtub!

    ReplyDelete
  11. About the only thing I like about this one is the view.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......