Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: Retreat on a Pond's Edge

It takes a lot of walking to get to this place, and it took a lot of walking through the property’s dense forest and around massive boulders to the pond’s edge on the remote ten-acre plot  before owners, Stephen Peck and his husband, John Messer, decided where they wanted to build their home.

For visitors to get to the home, you first drive down a long winding gravel road, through dense forest, until you arrive at a small parking area, and then you take a narrow boardwalk slipping between trees and enormous boulders until you reach the house that Peck and Messer sited the home on the edge of a secluded pond in Maine.

The main living space features walls on each side of the open-concept living area framed in floor-to-ceiling windows to balance the couple’s desire for a modern home with the durability required for Maine’s extreme weather variations. The concrete fireplace hearth extends to form a seating area in the corner with views into the dense woods and down to the waterfront.

Also on this floor is the primary bedroom, hovering above the forest floor, with its own wall of glass to frame the views into the surrounding woods and the pond’s edge. There is an en suite bathroom is clad in Brazilian marble and a sunken tub with its own amazing forest views.

On the lower level, a small study takes in the mossy foreground while a guest suite and a second study are connected by a covered boardwalk and a cantilevered screen porch. A large deck lines one side of the home, which is mostly built on piers, and was created to make the house feel lifted above the ground.

Peck designed the home, and its pathways through the woods and boulders to make guests, and the owners,  feel like they are truly leaving the world behind as they wander up to the house.

15 comments:

  1. I love that the dog has his own
    view windows. Very nice and love
    the views.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a vacation escape, I would love that place... Everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! That really would be like living outdoors. But warmer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!!!! I LOVE THIS!!!! THIS is so sleek...modern and chic...yet down to earth and warm. Of course i love the textures and that fireplace is gorgeous. I could spend hours in that corner tub and a adore dinning nook. Imagine laying in that bed watching it snow.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:06 PM

    Really wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fab. And the location? Perfect.
    I think the lines are fantastic and the choice of colors and textures makes the whole place place feel welcoming.
    Maine, you said?

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. @TDM
    I like the dog, er, cat window, too.
    xoxo

    @Mitchell
    I might like it full time, just for the change of seasons experience.

    @Deedles
    Would you like a red dog better?

    @Steve
    Yeah, the cold looks lovely., from the inside!

    @Maddie
    I’m with you about the tub, you know, figuratively, not literally with you in the tub. Carlos would not stand for me to be in a tub with another man. Not again!

    @Anon
    It is, isn’t it?

    @Six
    I think I could do Maine quite nicely … especially with a “cat” window and a deep soaking tub with a view and a shelf for my wine goblet!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bobulah, I draw the line at red animals unless they're birds or fish. I had to take a second look at the house, because I was very cold the first time so I couldn't appreciate all that snow. The house is fine. Red would probably be a little gaudy even. I'd love to see it in the spring or summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lot of fun. I like the way it blends in with the environment. Very striking. The décor? Not my thing... but lovely all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LMAO!!!!! Not again?!?!?!?! I hear a story dear!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Deedles
    I think when the weather's nice, the house is just as beautiful!!

    @upton
    The couple that built it really worked out how the house would sit, slightly above the ground. It's that kind of care I find interesting.

    @Maddie
    Oh honey ....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the shape, I would need to finish the kitchen, and fill in the big hole in the bathroom floor (the tub, who would really get in and out of that?)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it all. You know me by now. I need punches of color. White and beige are not colors. The only other thing is the pathway to the house better be heated. Who wants to shovel snow if you don't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS-Getting out that tub I could break a hip!!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......