Wednesday, May 08, 2024

Architecture Wednesday: The Castle

This Art Nouveau Castle sits on almost two acres of gardens and landscape in Los Angeles, California. Built in 1924 by celebrated architect A.F. Leicht this 5,500 square foot, five bedroom and seven bathroom grand art nouveau mansion, with a separate studio and guest apartment can be yours for the low price of $9,885,000.

That’s right! For under $10 million you can have panoramic city views from downtown LA to the Pacific Ocean and indescribable interior details such as Egyptian-inspired geometric pillars and repeating arched passageways overlooked by curving gilded ceilings. There is a majestic two-story living room, an octagonal lounge-study with endless windows surveying the private acreage, arched passageways, gilded ceilings, turret rooms, and a stone staircase rising from the entry hall 26 feet and higher to the observation tower which opens to an expansive roof terrace that echoes the nearby Griffith Observatory for views, altitude and drama. Private bedroom suites provide separate comfort and are perfectly arranged for guests or family enjoyment.

A gated motorcourt and porte-cochere lead to separate garage, studio and guest apartment while meandering pathways guide you to the gardens, a basketball court, and an immense 2nd flat lot with the potential to create more living space or construct a residential destination to enhance the inspired compound setting.

Known locally as “The Castle” it has been home to a long list of celebrity owners including Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, actor John Philip Law, John Getty from the J. Paul Getty oil fortune, and tenants such as Bob Dylan, Andy Warhol, and The Velvet Underground.

If you ever felt the need to live in a castle—and who hasn’t—this is your chance to scrape up less than ten million dollars and become the king, or queen, of your own magnificent palace.


28 comments:

  1. While I like the bathrooms, I'm going to pass on that baby. It is big, but even with the furniture it feels empty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get that vibe at all, but my one complaint is that's an awfully small kitchen for a house that size! And, does it have an elevator?

      Delete
  2. Meh. I love the staircase. Nice for making entrances. But I feel like Death Becomes Her should be filmed here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got Sunset Blvd--my favorite film--and I would don the Norma drag and parade up and down that staircase!

      Delete
  3. I must admit I love this place, obscene wealth and opulence notwithstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very old world Hollywood glamour!

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:44 AM

    the dog's mother
    wow, the views!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like most castles it looks a bit chilly. I'm surprised John Philip Law ever made enough money to buy that place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could get past the chill, wearing fur throws and such!

      Delete
  6. Anonymous12:14 PM

    Mansion was used in the 1972 film Heat with Joe Dallesandro and Sylvia Miles.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I will have to look for that film! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
    2. I have an entirely different movie also called "Heat" with Al Pacion, Robert DeNiro and Val Kilmer. Mine is about a deadly armed robbery.

      Delete
  7. Cleora Borealis12:54 PM

    I love the thought of it and the history of it and the amount of light in it and the view from the rooftop patio, but it is all just too much and the vibe is kinda cold. It saddens me because in 1966, John Phillip Law was my first Hollywood crush as the beautiful submariner in "The Russians Are Coming...!" (A must see comedy if you never have.) I was only 11, but I was over the moon and he definitely was on my "would I hit that?" list!! 🤩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, here we agree ... I, too, had a crush on JPL as a younger queerling.

      Delete
  8. I love it!! The first thing that came to mind is that the place would be cool. It may be a little too big for little old me but I could make do. I could rent it out for films to pay for the upkeep and taxes. LA does have some significant views. I don't know if you ever traveled through LA. If you have, you will notice the abundance of unique older homes, from various time periods, that have been kept up. LA is not flat and the pockets of communities in the hills, the views are to die for. I love the bathrooms. The vintage tile just speaks to me. The only thing that looks out of place is the kitchen. What fresh hell is that? It looks like it doesn't belong. A farmhouse sink, stark white boring tile, and those boring assed kitchen cabinets. You would think with all that money they could have hired someone who could BLEND the kitchen with the rest of the home. A huge fail in my book. The only spot of saving grace in the vintage tile in the sitting area. Oh yes, the chandelier is a gay man's we dream. Can you picture the place decorated for the holidays? A few last thoughts. The gate is craftsmanship personified. And the windows of the castle is are lessons in the attention to detail. Love the light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Dave: love the bathrooms.
    And it's beautiful but I would have no idea what to do with all that space!
    It does have that 'Old Hollywod' air (and for that price, it better does!) It's not as flashy as some of the actual places whre Hollywood people live, but if I were an actor and had the dough, I'd snatch it. Bet parties are fun there.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thin k if those walls could talk ....
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. A not draughty and cold castle. I like it, especially the roof terrace. First bathroom good, second bathroom, not so good, last bathroom ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The views on the roof are stunning!

      Delete
  11. It is very lovely and under ten million you say? Let me count my pocket change... hmmm, seems I'm a bit short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked my couch cushions and no luck!

      Delete
  12. Wow it's lovely but way too castley for a slob like me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why you hire knaves and handmaidens ... to keep it clean!

      Delete
  13. I could live there, easily, comfortably. Greetings from Malaga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! This castle might fit right in along the Mediterranean coast!

      Delete
  14. Gorgeous! The views up in the hills of LA are always spectacular, but the downsides of hill/canyon living have always put me off. I'm a dedicated flat-lander here because it's much safer. Also, I don't have 10 million floating around, so thatq's my story and I'm stiking to it,sweetpea! *wink* xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......