Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Architecture Wednesday: Shoreditch Loft

I love a good loft that mixes urban industrial with rustic charm and modern amenities and this two-bedroom live/work apartment that unfolds across two floors of a Victorian warehouse in the heart of Shoreditch is just my cup of tea.

The interiors have been the subject to a contemporary renovation while also preserving the character of the original warehouse while adding understated design features, including a stainless steel kitchen and shelving wall.

You enter the apartment on the top floor, where the front door opens onto a light-filled, open-plan great room; double-height ceilings with exposed wooden beams extend overhead while original dark-stained floorboards run throughout, and large sash windows along the entire north and south-facing sides of the building create a voluminous space perfect for entertaining. A guest batroom and storage space are located behind the kitchen.

The kitchen is bounded by a curved island with stainless steel worktops and arresting dark grey cabinetry, reflecting the shelving wall unit on the opposite side of the room. From the living area, a spiral staircase leads up to a mezzanine level with white-painted floorboards. It is set up as an office space, but would make an excellent guest sleeping area as it has a dressing room and an adjacent bathroom with a roll-top bath and separate walk-in shower.

The bedrooms are downstairs, where you find two large double bedrooms with impressive double-height ceilings and full-height built-in wardrobes; there is also a large bathroom on this floor, largely executed in neutral white and concrete-style tiles with chrome fixtures, and a convenient utility cupboard with space for a washing machine and dryer is concealed along the hall.

It’s all you could want, and in a desirable area; it’s five minutes from the galleries, cafes, bars and restaurants of Shoreditch and Hoxton Square and a short walk to the iconic Barbican Centre—Europe’s largest  center for the Arts: cinemas, galleries, concert halls and theatres. The East End markets—Columbia Road, Brick Lane, Spitalfields and Broadway Market—are a short stroll away.

For green space, Mark Street Gardens lies within strolling distance, and five minutes north is Hoxton Square and Aske Gardens Park, with tennis and basketball courts. Adjacent Shoreditch Park provides seven acres of recreational space, with tennis, swimming, and gym facilities. The Park also includes an amphitheater, multiple sports pitches and a giant boulder for rock climbing.

It does seem to have everything …

Click to emBIGGERate …

27 comments:

  1. Too much white, but I could live there. One thing I'd change is the spiral staircase. They look nice, but are utilitarian failures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's too much white at all, with the brick and timber and matte black walls and kitchen.

      Delete
  2. This is perfect.
    The white brings out the exposed brick and the black accents. Love that spiral staircase! I wonder if it was originally in the warehouse.
    I love work/live quarters with that ceiling height, too.
    I know many warehouses in the Chi are have been converted into artists' lofts but you do need to be an artist to rent/live in one...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do without the spiral staircase, but love the modern black walls, and wooden timber ceiling and brick walls.
      Great textures.
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Anonymous9:10 AM

    the dog's mother
    Interesting!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great new use, or reuse, of space.
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Cleora Borealis10:38 AM

    🤗 I am in awe of people who can look at an industrial space and see possibilities. I love the exposed brick mixed with the wooden rafters and floors...and then setting it off with with curved black wood. I love both the spiral staircase and the main as well. I am also impressed with the use of small areas that I would have believed were wasted space, but here are made into bathroom and office (watch your head). Finally, I have never commented on a toilet before, but the shape of the one in the guest bathroom is so classy I just had to mention it! My Cat, my Hubby, and I will be very happy here!! 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Carlos and the kids and I would love it!

      Delete
  5. I know exactly where this is -- I was walking on that road over the weekend! (But I turned on Curtain Road, a couple of streets away, so didn't actually walk past it.) It's a little weird having the bedrooms downstairs from the living room. I love the wood ceilings and all the textures, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve: Bedrooms below the living room were common in contemporary San Francisco homes. I also thought it was weird at first but got used to it and loved it.

      Delete
    2. Lots of houses built on hillsides have bedrooms down and living areas on the main floor.
      Steve: I've heard you mention Shoreditch on your blog and wondered if you knew where this was located.

      Delete
  6. I love this, although I wouldn’t have much use for the top floor’s low pitched ceilings. I’d knock myself out. And although I love the look of many spiral staircases (like this one) I’ve always found them inconvenient to climb and descend. Absolutely no room for SG’s size 15 feet. Still, what a great place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for the fact that the top floor has a nice bathroom and tub, I find no reason to be up there ... unless it becomes a cat hangout!

      Delete
  7. Oh yeah.....when can I move in??? The kitchen and curved bookcase are amazing........ This again is so my...I love different textures in interiors. And it's urban living at its best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the black curved walls, too. My quibble is a spiral staircase, but maybe I don't go up into the loft every day?

      Delete
  8. I love, love repurposed commercial spaces to a homes. In DC there was an old car dealership that was turned it into a gym. Now we are talking a dealership for the 40s and 50s. Large, expansive windows across multiple floors in the front to showcase cars and a driveway, circular ramp inside to move the cars in and out of the building and up and down from the floors.

    I love this. I would see how I could tweak the outside to retain the original features but give it a little pizazz.

    I am not a fan of any celling that is low hung. I am 6/2 and I need to move about without fear of smacking my head and feeling claustrophobic.

    What is with that black wall going up the stairs with the brick behind it. Odd. Looks like they are trying too hard. Just showcase the brick.

    Lets reimagine the bathroom with the tub under the downward slope of the roof. Let's see if we can move the fixtures around to give more head clearance if one wants to shower. Just needs a redo.

    I am not a fan of black. To me white and black are not colors. Yeah, I know they are BUT lets do something a little different. You know me by now. I like color.

    The light, the windows are a dream.

    All in all I love it. I am calling my account as I type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the black, smooth and matte and how it plays against the brick and the floors.

      Delete
  9. I'd love to vacation there, but I'm not sure if I could live there 24/7 because those spiral stairs would kill my knees and me probably! It does look gorgeous from an adaptive reuse viewpoint, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loathe a spiral staircase, too, but this one only goes up to the loft; there's another staircase that goes down to the bedrooms.
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. Far too modern for me, but I like the ceilings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the mix of the modern and the old floors and ceilings and bricks.

      Delete
  11. This one is not for me, I'd get dizzy going down that spiral staircase. A firehouse pole might be a better option, right next to the stairs, because I wouldn't have a problem climbing up them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily for me, I wouldn't need to use the spiral staircase to reach that lft space; the other bedrooms are downstairs [regular stairs]!

      Delete
  12. Nice. Good location, but at my age I'm not moving to a place with stairs. I doubt l could afford it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree; I do prefer a one floor home as we age; easier on the knees!

      Delete
  13. I suspect that would be very dark in the never-ending English winter. It would send me into a depression!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of that .... I'd just have to buy more lamps!

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......