Monday, November 30, 2020

I Went To Walmart ...

The other day, watching a series of cooking shows on PBS, I watched a fella make a Cranberry Candied Ginger Buckle. For those out of the know, as I was, a buckle consists of fruit and cake baked together, with a streusel topping and, as it bakes the fruit and streusel topping make the cake “buckle.”

We had the cranberries because Carlos makes homemade cranberry sauce every Thanksgiving, so I set out for the rest of the ingredients. Two stores in Smallville and when I asked about Candied ginger all I got were confused looks, a check with someone higher up, and a “We don’t have that.”

Back home, I checked the computer for candied, or crystallized, ginger, and found that it was about three miles away at :::gasp::: Walmart, or twenty-five miles away at Kroger. Now, y’all know how I feel about Walmart, but the reasonable side of my brain, which rarely comes into play, thought, check the closest store first before you drive nearly an hour out and back.

So … I.Went.To.Walmart. Thank the goddess for the mask and a baseball cap, as well as the very early morning hour.

I went into the store and checked the “International” foods aisle, which at Walmart in Smallville, South Carolina, is mainly Avocado Mayo and flavored Ketchup; none. I checked in produce where they have the nuts—and no, not just the people shopping there—and found no candied ginger. I even checked the cany aisle because, Walmart. And then I made my way to customer service where the conversation went exactly like this:

“Hi. Do you carry candied ginger?”

“Gingers in the produce aisle.”

“No, not fresh ginger, but candied ginger,”

“Gingers in the spice aisle.”

“No, not powdered ginger, but candied ginger.”

“Check produce or spices.”

“Thank you so much.”

I turned to leave in a huff, and believe me when I say I give good huff, the woman standing behind me said “Excuse me?”

I thought she knew where candied ginger was, so I stopped, and she said:

“Do you always wear your shirt buttoned all the way up like that?”

I was wearing a denim shirt under a sweater, and yes, I did have the denim shirt buttoned all the way to the top because I like it, so I replied:

“Yes, I do.”

And she said:

“Interesting choice.”

I scanned her from her frizzed dyed blond job, down beyond the caked-on mascara, over the Christmas sweater, below the too-tight yoga pants and stopped:

“Thanks for the fashion advice. Nice crocs.”

Twenty-five minutes later I walked into Kroger, stopped the first person I saw who worked there, and asked about candied ginger:

“Check next to produce where we have all the pre-packaged nuts and dried fruits. It’s on the bottom shelf, about halfway down the aisle.”

Twenty-five minutes later I was home, making a Cranberry Candied Ginger Buckle.

Looks dee-lish, doesn’t it?

21 comments:

  1. Looks very delish!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love buckles. That one looks good! A good dollop of whipped cream wouldn't go amiss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't been in a WalMart for over a decade. That's a beautiful buckle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If it ain't holding up my pants, I don't know what a buckle is. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the trials one goes through to cook and look good! I made an apple streusel cake a couple of weeks ago, using cooking apples fresh off the tree. My cake was a layer of sponge, a layer of apple topped with a layer of crumble/streusel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohhh that does look lovely. Oddly enough my friend was asking if I knew where to find candied ginger last week. It's hard getting some stuff in France of course but I knew I'd seen it somewhere and found it at the local store with the "exotic foreign stuff"! I'll have to have a go at making that cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that looks absolutely delish. Love me some homemade dessert! I forgive your trip to Wally World (you got what you deserved though, from the 'we don't carry foreign stuff here' to the unbelievable fashion advice. At WALMART!).

    Now I'm hungry though...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. the reasonable side of your brain was wrong.

    guess that ugly bitch didn't look in the mirror BEFORE she left the house.

    NO WALLFART!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CRRRRROOOOOOCCCCCS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

    Proves my point about walmart!!!!!!!! Im surprised everyone didn't have on crocs!!!!!! Pif. Crocs. Indeed.

    But can you pass a piece of the delicious buckle please.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @TDM
    It turned out very good, if I do say so myself!

    @Joe
    This was my first one, nd, yeah, whipped cream would be a nice touch.

    @Jimmy
    I loathe that store, but ... candied ginger. At least now I know where to get it.

    @DeeDhaLah
    This won't hold up your pants unless you eat too much ... but then you wouldn't be able to button the pants!

    @Helen
    I am not the baker in our house--that's Carlos--but this sounded good to me, so I went for it.
    Your cake sounds delicoso!

    @Treaders
    I thought you could get it anywhere and was proven wrong wrong wrong!
    Google Milk Street for the recipe.

    @Six
    Walmart is like a third world country sometimes ... and I forgot to mention the ALLEGEDLY gay couple at the self checkout in their matching pajama bottoms. Oy!

    @AM
    I seldom listen to my reasonable side!

    @MM
    I told Carlos and he muttered that he had crocs, and I quickly reminded him that he is not allowed to wear them out of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @duchess - a buckle is the same as a fruit cobbler or a grunt or a crumble; cake base, fruit layer, cinnamon sugar crumbles on top. dee-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous4:35 PM

    Now that is my speed...Love a good "coffee cake" with coffee....Looks delicious...

    Folks need to LISTEN!

    I don't care about how your dress!! I love it when you are sassy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Carebear- my cobblers don't have anything even remotely resembling cake in them. More like pie. Grunt and crumble sounds like a night in the sheets with the mister :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks tasty as hell, Bob, I will have to look up the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. BURN!!!

    also your buckle looks delish! i make ours with apples, yellow cake mix and spices and maybe a titch of butter to make it crumble!

    xxalainaxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. She wasn't giving you fashion advice, she was trying to pick you up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, I want some buckle! I'm surprised you weren't sent to the candy aisle in Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks tasty, I can remember my last visit to sprawlmart, in a small town in eastern Kentucky on a work trip 8 or 9 years ago, it was about the only place left in town, I went back to the hotel and took a shower.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I call this coffee cake. Is it the same? Looks lovely. You're very talented. And patient. Walmart? My idea of hell. I have visited hell. And yes, it looked a lot like Walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  20. you reminded me of this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXL8T11jzTE

    ps. i work at kroger lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. @VRC
    Unsolicited advice from a stranger to me is a dangerous precedent.

    @Dave
    I got it from Milk Street. And it is good.

    @xxalainaxx
    She got what she deserved. And now that I've buckled, I m ay buckle even more.

    @Debra
    Oh hell nooooooooo!

    @Mitchell
    I'm surprised I wasn't sent to Walmart jail.

    @Travel
    Sprawlmart!!! I love it!

    @uptonking
    Yeah, I called it coffee cake-like!
    And I found several other places to get my candied ginger, so Hell is off the list for now.

    @den
    I see the resemblance!
    Thank the goddess for Kroger.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......