Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Architecture Wednesday:

I am a sucker for a Craftsman home. I love the wood, the handmade quality; the sense of history.

And even though this is a new build, in the San Juan Islands, it gives me all of that and more. The house is sited on a rural lot, so that you approach the house through the trees to the front porch. Once inside the house, you have views through it, to the backyard and the water beyond. Since the southern sunlight faces the front of the house, the roof is lifted with clerestory windows to get light deep into the interiors.

Inside, the house is kind of typical Craftsman, with a nod to a Northwest contemporary cabin with Japanese influences. Deep overhangs, clear and simple structural components, and natural materials throughout impart that warm, welcoming feeling, while staying modern and functional, with lots of nooks, niches, and built-ins throughout the interior.

I’ll take it; I like the old and the new, the Craftsman and the Asian, and with a water view and a forest setting, it’s the perfect getaway spot.


Dwell

9 comments:

  1. I love this one (surprise)! It exudes warmth and coziness. These pictures actually made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know this area well.
    Very cozy.
    As long as the ferries are
    running you'll be fine.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a Fall/Winter mood.
    Absolutely.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. As beautiful outside as it is inside! I like this. The warmth of all that natural wood... very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And of course I'm complete opposite of Deedles.

    It's too craftsman and too much wood for me personally...but I do love in that long hallway those tree trunk like columns ...that is genius. But when using woods in interiors it has to be done just right to not feel dated, unless one purposefully wants it. I like the exterior far more on this one.

    Listen to all us....we sound like judges on Project Runway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Deedles
    I found one you liked!!!
    I'm done here then.
    Goodbye all! =)

    @TDM
    I wouldn't mind missing the ferry if it meant I could stay home all day!

    @Six
    It's the Comfort Food Of Homes!

    @uptonking
    I just wanna curl up with a book and a bottle of wine!

    @MM
    I like the differing of opinions, and, again, I FOUND ONE DUCHESS DEEDLES LIKES!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it! And the San Juans! We had a 1924 California Craftsman in San Diego. Cove ceilings, gum wood moldings. Mint. Our favorite house. Friend had a cabin on Lopez Island in the San Juans. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE IT, and it has a working kitchen, with real storage!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:51 PM

    I love this...I love Craftsman as well...The wood is a little too blonde for me...Just a few shades darker would be nice...Not expresso...The location is nice and cozy...Nice pick ...You, Carlos, and the kids can come to visit...Stay a week...

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......