Friday, May 08, 2020

The Blah-plosion


So, I have been Blah, and as I said yesterday, Carlos, very empathetically, told me to:
“Change your mood.”
Then for that whole day, he’d ask if I was still feeling ‘blah,’ while wearing a little smirk on his face. At one point he suggested I take a walk, and I said a walk isn’t the cure, or the answer; these are feelings that I need to work through and you cannot walk or wish them away. And he said:
“Well, I’m really getting tired of the blah-sy attitude.”
Cue Blah-plosion.

I let him have it because, while the blahs are hard to explain, him saying that to me pissed me off, and mama ain’t happy when she’s pissed off. I told him, that had he come to me and said he was feeling blah, or depressed, or anxious, or worried, the first words out of my mouth would have been:
“Can I do anything to help?”
I told him it wasn’t the virus, and it was the virus; it wasn’t not going to work and it was not going to work; it wasn’t the animals, but it was; it wasn’t him but it was; it was the sunshine; it was nighttime; it was everything and nothing. It was my Dad, and my worry about him 3,000 miles away.

But what it was that pissed me off was his blasé attitude about it. There are the rare times Carlos and I actually fight, a lot of loud angry words, a lot of airing of feelings, and a lot of apologies … from his side.

I again explained that this is not something you can wish, walk, or help away; it needed to be worked through, in my way, at my pace. Again, he apologized and I told him just be a little more compassionate; I told him I know he takes everything too personally and that he felt I was angry at him because of my mood. I said:
“Twenty years and you still don’t think when I have a problem with you, I don’t tell you?”
And we kinda laughed, and let it go, and this morning, the blackness lifted a little, and so I told him maybe yelling at him was the answer.

It’s not, but hopefully he got the message, and when this happens again, and it will, though it’s a once or twice a year thing, and usually lasts about three days, he might be more understanding.

If not … I’ll yell. Maybe it’ll work again.

PS Thank you all for your kind words yesterday. They meant a lot.

12 comments:

  1. (Bob)
    Keeping good thoughts for
    you always.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yelling can help! I yelled in my car, while driving, because of the jackasses that can’t be bothered to wear a mask in the grocery. And the whole _______ debacle of course. Thanks for you and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I good rip is what it takes sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the make-up sex should be great!

    sometimes ya gotta explode; it relieves the pressure. tell carlos I love him. and I love you too, bob.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much to say, but I'm not going to say it. Just hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a few sentences in I was taking cover because I saw it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As another guy in love with his husband, happily married after not having the option, living a really wonderful life, I understand your feelings/his feelings and KNOW that letting off steam does not damage the relationship in any way. Think of it like tectonic plates - when they move the change happens and we continue our happy life. Life goes on, we grow, becomes better, we both learn about the other and do whatever it takes to keep us both happily in love - without losing anything important to us.

    I found real love late in life, my 50's, and every day I marvel at it.

    Knowing that your feelings exploded allow you to understand a similar reaction from your husband. It makes life easier. Relax into it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a day a week or so ago...the depression was intense and seemed to come out of nowhere. Hadn't been that depressed for many years. But I was unable to even talk much, I couldn't even answer a simple question...it was like "don't bother me with that." Fortunately I dusted and waxed all the wood furniture in relative silence, as if it would be the last time I would see the furniture polished. The uncertainty of the future (but isn't the future always uncertain?) in the midst of this pandemic and my being in the "twilight years" can get me down for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And I hold you now in even higher esteem. And Carlos, too, for being able to hear you even if he doesn't fully understand the workings of depression. Sending you more hugs... and Carlos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some people are clueless, some are hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @TDM
    Thanks. The darkness has passed.

    @Krayolakris
    I think the yelling, and it wasn't full volume, knocked some blah lose, and the rest followed.
    Glad you like the blog.

    @MM
    Trueday.

    @AM
    Yes. Please.

    @Deedles
    I love a DeedleHug.

    @Steven
    Sadly, Carlos didn't.

    @NW Man
    Oh,Carlos and i rarely fight--though we do disagree every so often--but when we do, we get it out, and then it's done. No dwelling on it; move on.
    Happy for you to find love; it's a wonderful thing.

    @Frank

    @Mitch
    Thanks, I made Carlos read what you wrote yesterday in Bobservations and he seemed to come to some kind of understanding what The Blahs are.

    @Travel
    And we need to know the difference.
    I, too, tried to keep myself occupied and alone. It helps a little.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm honored to be of use. Thank you both.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......