Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Snip Snip Snip


Oh, the patient; or, as I began referring to him, the “impatient.” That is one of Carlos’ faults; he does not like to be kept waiting though he has no issue with anyone waiting for him.

We had the be at the hospital by ten and I suggested leaving home at 9:15 …
Why so early? I don’t  have to be there until ten.
I reminded him of paperwork and insurance and getting all of that done, so we got to the hospital at 9:30. Then … impatient.

He wasn’t called until 10:15 … Why are they fifteen minutes late …and were taken back to pre-op … Why are we waiting here? … where a nurse took vitals, hooked him to machines … Why is that one beating irregularly … and told him the anesthetist would be right in … where is he …

The anesthetist; kind of a hot bald daddy type but … a long grey wiry beard running halfway down his chest. I so wanted to shave that thing off or at least trim it before he started playing something from the Arcade Fire catalogue.

Back to the impatient; where’s the nurse … why can’t I wear my socks … what is that beeping … what time is it …my surgery was scheduled for ten …
No, you were set to be here at ten to sign in and do paperwork, honey.
But why is it taking so long?
One more word and I’ll find a pair of scissors and do the job myself.
Okay.
The nurse gave him an injection of something to relax him and help him with the anesthesia; she said he might doze off; I tipped her twenty dollars and started reading my Michelle Obama book. Then he woke up.
What time is it?
11:30.
Eleven-thirty? Howler monkey shriek. Why are they so late?
I signaled the nurse for a heavier does of the sedative … for me.

Around twelve-thirty he was wheeled away. My last words to him were, What’s the password to the bank account again? Actually; I kid. A surgical nurse came into take him and as she was ready to wheel him out, she said, Now’s the time for the kiss.

Nice; everyone, when finding out that he was mu husband, was no nice and friendly …How long have y’all been together … We’ll take good care of him … and even when I asked if I could get a younger model afterwards. The nurse reminded me that he’s a keeper.

And he is.

Surgery was quick; he was in recovery longer than surgery. Then it was home and phone calls to family to report the news that he was home and fine and, well, a little whiny. And acting like a superman. He was saying he was going to do this and that, and I told him to just take it easy and maybe rest a minute … he went into the guest room, closed the door to keep jumping cats out, and slept for about six hours.

It was heaven. Then he woke up.

I kid. Or do I?

Seriously, thanks for all your kind wishes and thoughts, and jokes. It helped with the impatient and me. He’s feeling a lot better this morning and we’ll see how he does the rest of the week.

Nurse Ratched has taken the full week off, so anything goes …

15 comments:

  1. Hearts and unicorns your way. Convalescence is rough. You'll both be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Bob) and (Carlos) may the
    healing go fast and the days
    be pleasant. You each get your
    own hug as you each have
    different challenges this week!
    xoxoxoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never mind about Carlos coming through it fine (which I'm ever so pleased about, of course) what concerns me is how are YOU feeling after such an ordeal? Sounds like you're the one in more need now of a lengthy recuperation period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad to hear you both survived!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy that everything went well! Now relax and take life easy, Carlos -- let Bob do everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy you guys are okay! I would think that impatient whining would be more tolerable when done in a Spanish accent. Of course if you're used to it, maybe not.
    Unhelpful hint here- BH gave me a bell when I was less mobile (meaning I couldn't get up off of the floor if I slid off of my bed). He put it out of my reach. On purpose or not? Who the hell knows, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt after landing on the floor with an oh so very slight thud. I was finally rescued after a whole lot of yelling, floor banging and wall kicking. So a bell comes in handy if within reach. It's also easy not to hear a person if the bell isn't used. Your choice. Anyway, I love a happy ending and you two always make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I said it once, ill say it again...ypu two need a reality show...and i would watch. Now go give him a sponge bath.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAYZ for carlos coming thru surgery!

    now YOUR hard work begins, bob. smack carlos around a couple of times if he gets whiny. have the cats jump on his surgery spot.

    seriously, hope all goes well this week for BOTH of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's how mine was, over and done in no time. How long's his scar? Mine's 3 inches. Also, prepare him because everything in that area is going to go black and blue... and I mean everything. They gave me pain meds but all I ended up was taking Advil. If he gets whiny, take Anne Marie's advice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous2:16 PM

    Glad the Carlos made it through. It is a simple procedure. It really all boils down to the patient. Thank you for your patients. I have taken care of my fair share of post-op patients. Let me tell you, men are babies. I took care of Marines, Army grunts, Navy sailors, and soft Air Force men-women as well. Some men are great and do well. Some I think I am their wives or girlfriends. A few I wanted to slap and say "snap out of it." Tell Carols not to overdo it. Get up ASAP and MOVE!!!

    I am ready for chapter 2.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad he's already beginning to feel better -- for both your sakes! And, remember, the impatient can't do ANY lifting. So, you'll have to be very patient while you meet his every need... for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to hear that Carlos came through okay. Hope he gets well soon.
    WQ insists that Carlos reminds her of me (being impatient and all). To her I say "Harumph!" To Carlos I say get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad everything is okay. You are a great writer...that post had me smiling. I felt like I was there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anesthesia tends to make me want to sleep for about two days. I hope my husband appreciates that. But seriously, glad everything went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad things went well! Now, tons of patience and keep a bottle of good wine handy. You may need a glass or two while he recovers.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......