Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Architecture Wednesday: False Bay


False Bay is a single-family home sited to take in the sweeping views of Haro Strait and the Olympic Mountains. A 15-foot-tall opaque entry door pivots open to reveal a view of the Sound through a double-height glazed living and dining space. Light and solar heat gain can be adjusted with four, 20-foot-tall exterior sliding wood shutters that extend across the entire west facade. Deep roof overhangs also provide shade and cover from direct sunlight and storms, while the hopper window above the entry door helps to naturally ventilate the house.

There were existing agricultural buildings on site, so the architects took a cue from those buildings, and incorporated steeply pitched roofs, open interiors, and loft spaces.  

There is also a small 500-square-foot writer’s cabin on this property, you know, for blogging … or not.

Olson Kundig

8 comments:

  1. Wishing you and Carlos and your readers a Happy Thanksgiving! Love the Barbie header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haro Strait, located North of northern WA state >>> Needs "shade and cover from direct sunlight..."

    Sunlight... Hahahahahaha.... Storms tho', I get that,

    Source: Goofballs SEA resident. Should do a yard chore before sunsets at 4:20. :)



    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. This may be my second favorite you have ever featured!!!!! I.LOVE.IT!!!! From the tin roof, not rusted, to the huge pained windows and the natural yet chic interior. This has my name all over it. And the dark wood fireplace in the bedroom? Be still my heart.

    And A Happy Thanksgiving to you and Carlos luv! 🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have been all over that area!
    Gorgeous place.
    xoxoxox :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the ceilings and was like, yes!
    I saw the location and started packing.
    Absolutely fantastic.

    XoXo

    P.S. happy friendsgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Direct sunlight? Four days a year? I’d be happy in the writers cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. A modern take on a cabin in the woods.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:13 PM

    Happy Thanksgiving to you, Carlos, and the kids. I hope Carlos is up and around and lifting a little more-like his underwear and dirty towels off the floor.

    Love, Love, the house. Maybe a little too big for me but I love the style and location. It seems the older I become the less I want to live ground zero in the middle of a city. On the outskirts just enough distance to get into town for provisions. By the way---personal note---Hate, Hate any dining table configuration that has a bench involved. Us old folks need comfort. I would want my guests to lounge and talk as we enjoy a good meal. Not ask when can they retire to the living room to rest their backs.

    Be well,

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......