Wednesday, November 06, 2019

Architecture Wednesday: Bragg Hill

Okay, so it’s another barn. You knew I loved barns when we met, so ….

But this barn, a sustainably designed barn house sits on 10 acres in Chester County, Pennsylvania, surrounded by mature growth trees, stones walls, and meadows.

Bragg Hill is a three-story residence, 6,000 square foot home, so it’s big, with four bedrooms and three-and-a-half bathrooms.

What I love? The use of reclaimed materials on both the interior and exterior; the use of photovoltaic panels, passive and active solar design, radiant heat flooring, geothermal heat pump and the implementation of metal grates for passive air circulation. Much of the wood in the home is reclaimed and some comes from trees felled onsite; local stone was used in retaining walls and the massive chimney,  and rainwater is harvested and stored in a cistern for use around the property.

Gorgeous; rustic; urban; sustainable; it should last for a hundred years or more and be as gorgeous then, as now.

OneKindDesign

9 comments:

  1. I googled this; it's about 1 hour south of my location. typical of many places in that area. and near the wyeth (n.c./andrew/jamie) museum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one! So many colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one! The interior is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting combinations!
    xoxoxoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the interior more then the exterior...love all the windows and the fireplace. Reminds me of Lavender Hill Farm up the road from me. Nice choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sustainable is the magic word for me.
    I think they did a good job with the exterior but the interior is fab. The kitchen is fantastic and I don’t even cook!

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like many of the details, interior and exterior. Don’t like others. But the setting and materials are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this building can't decide whether, from the outside, it looks more like a patched up barn or a warehouse

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems huge! But....my God! .... That bathroom, I think I'd love it...the shower looks incredible and I like that it's open. By necessity, mine is glass enclosed which looks good but is a pain in the ass to clean all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......