Friday, May 09, 2014

I Didn't Say It ...

George Takei, Star Trek legend and LGBT rights activist, upon receiving the Vito Russo Award at GLAAD's New York media awards:

"[As] a closeted kid growing up in Los Angeles…all I saw of gays and lesbians in movies and television or heard on radio were caricatures of people who were mocked and laughed at, or pitied, or hated. The media stripped us of all humanity and made us into pathetic stereotypes. The media then was a soul-crushing monster. GLAAD took on this formidable beast with its media savvy, political acumen and the power of its advocacy and transformed the media into a powerful force for change. GLAAD inspired and galvanized others into action to join with in the great 21st century civil rights movement. … But as long as LGBT people can be fired from their job for simply being who they are, our work isn’t done yet. As long as young people are kicked out of their families just for being who they are, our work is not done yet. As long as people are be bullied into feeling that their lives are so hopeless that they are driven to self-destructive acts, our work is not done."

I remember those stereotypes, too, and we’ve come a long way since then, though there is still much to do, on TV and in ‘real’ life.
Bishop Gene Robinson, on his divorce from his husband, and partner, of twenty five years:

“My belief in marriage is undiminished by the reality of divorcing someone I have loved for a very long time, and will continue to love even as we separate. Love can endure, even if a marriage cannot.”

Sad news, indeed, but once again Bishop Robinson is an example, for every couple, gay and straight, that goes through a breakup.
Dwight Bullard, Democratic Florida state Senator, on an NRA-backed bill that would grant the right to carry concealed firearms during declared states of emergency:

"For me, as laughable as the amendment might seem, it's equally laughable that people who haven't gone through the proper training, the background check, the license to carry — we're saying because of a hurricane or flooding or sinkhole, these individuals have gone from gun owners to concealed carry permit holders. I'd argue a crisis is probably the last instance in which you want someone who is not a concealed permit holder to carry a weapon."

Amazing that Flori-duh has such a senator who isn't afraid to stand up to the NRA and the gun nuts.
Tom Coburn, Republican Senator from Oklahoma, on his state’s botched execution of Clayton Lockett who was slowly tortured to death for nearly an hour before dying:

"It's an unfortunate thing, but any time you're doing something with a body, things can go wrong."

It's "unfortunate" that a man is legally tortured to death by any state in this country.
Oh yeah, Coburn is also a doctor, talking about how anything can go wrong, and it’s kinda okay because it happens and what are you gonna do about it.
Howsabout ending the death penalty so we don’t become a country that tortures convicts before we kill them?
Shepard Smith, on that Gawker story that said he was demoted by the bosses at FoxNews because he’s gay and wanted to come out:

“News team- Good morning from Los Angeles. I came to Fox News 18 years ago because they agreed to hire me. I’ve stayed with Fox News because of my relationship with Roger Ailes. He’s my boss, my friend and my steadfast supporter both professionally and personally. Things you might read today are horseshit. As phony as 24-hour breaking news on The Plane Channel. Stand down. Big love. See y'all Monday. Unless breaking news changes everything."

Gawker stands by its story and Shepard is still demoted.
And still ALLEGEDLY gay.
Jason Priestley, of 90210, on former co-star Tori Spelling:

“I happened to be at home watching the local news one night, something I rarely got to do. Tori Spelling’s yard sale made the broadcast that night. I saw my very own wedding invitation on the screen. Apparently, it had gone for five bucks, including a personal autograph by Tori. She sold my wedding invitation to a stranger.”

That’s Tori, anything and everything in her life is up for sale, even her husband’s wandering penis and their televised attempts at therapy.
Matt Bomer, my Husband-In-My-Head, on his marriage to Simon Halls and their three children:

“It wasn’t anything I really endeavored to hide. But a lot of stuff I would do would be these fashion spreads where there’s one paragraph about you at the end. I don’t care about that at all. I’m completely happy and fulfilled in my personal life. [The ceremony] was very chill. Very small — only our nearest and dearest. There’s a security, a validity of knowing that it’s legal. It’s hard to put into words. It’s just a feeling, I guess — something about saying vows in front the people around you who love and support you. I think it was good for our family.”

I love him. That’s all.
Tucker Carlson, Fox News wingnut, suggesting that sexual harassment by teachers is fine as long as it's a female teacher and a male student:

"Here’s the bottom line: A 15-year-old boy is not a 15-year-old girl, and so – I got a lot of mail about this – every man understands this. A 15-year-old boy looks at this as, like, the greatest thing that ever happened, and I think for a 15-year-old girl it would be traumatic. That’s just real. I don’t know what to say – I don’t want that to be true but it is true. I’m not saying that all teachers should do lap dances at school. I’m just saying when a teacher gets so enthusiastic she breaks out into a lap dance, don’t send her to prison. That’s all I’m saying."

Further proof, as if we needed it, that the idiots at Fox News, from the top all the way down to the dregs of that network, are completely and utterly idiotic.
Van HansisEastSiders and As The World Turns star, on why he only recently came out publicly:

“I guess it was a combination of a lot of things—[As The World Turns] was my first job, it was a different time back then in regards to LGBT stories being told—I mean, the Luke story was groundbreaking at the time. Now, I think every remaining soap has a gay storyline. I was completely green, fresh out of college, and honestly, I was scared. … I’ve been out since I was sixteen, but when I first came to LA my agents were a bunch of Hollywood bro guys and I was afraid they wouldn’t be able to see me in straight roles. It’s a fear I still harbor, and it’s not necessarily paranoia. I met with a manager a couple of years back who told me I was “fey” and that I would need to “work on that” to be her client. On the flip side of things, I was once fired from a movie because I wasn’t “gay enough.”

Funny that, he’s too gay and maybe too straight.
Howsabout just going on his talent?

1 comment:

  1. I remember watching George Takei as a kid when Star Trek was in its first set of re-runs (I feel young typing that!).

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......