Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Sweetest Coming Out Ever!


There are all kinds of ways of coming out. You could sit people down and just say it; you could write a letter, or make a YouTube video. You could, as openly gay comic Bob Smith says he did, come out at Thanksgiving by saying, “Could you please pass the mashed potatoes to the homosexual?” Or, you could do it on the cover of Time Like Ellen DeGeneres did.

This way, though, is sweeter.


A Tumblr using, calling herself, appropriately enough, ellende-generes, identified as a girl names Laurel, presented her parents with a Coming Out Cake. She also wrote a note:
Good morning parents,
I’m gay. I’ve wanted to tell you for a long time. I thought doing it this way would be a piece of cake.
I hope you still love me. I mean, it’s hard not to love someone who baked you a cake.
All my friends know and still love me. Your acceptance would be the icing on the cake.
I hope you, much like this cake, are not in tiers.
I hope we can look back on this and say 'boy, this one really takes the cake.'
It gets batter.
Love, Laurel
sorry for so many puns)
In an email to HuffPost Gay Voices—where I found the story—Laurel said she was surprised by the viral response to her post, which she placed on her Ellen DeGeneres-themed tumblr: 
Everyone has been overwhelmingly kind. Straight, gay, and transgender people have been contacting me for advice or simple just to say congrats ... I guess things travel quickly on the internet!
And, in case you were wondering, she also posted a Cake Update:
My mom saw it and cried of happiness. We hugged and cried together. Then, we all ate the cake and talked. I am very luck [sic] to have such supporting parents and to have so much support from you guys. Thanks everyone! Have a gay day!
How sweet is that!

Welcome out, Laurel, and, well, you, too, get a copy of The Gay Agenda, as well as the obligatory Coming Out Toaster Oven, in case you’re doing any more baking.


8 comments:

  1. Awwww, that is SWEET!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,
    “Could you please pass the mashed potatoes to the homosexual?” That has to be the BEST coming out line I've ever heard. LOVE IT!

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:15 PM

    That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lucky laurel to have parents/friends who love her as she is. not all gay kids are welcomed with open arms. hope she has a wonderful life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn! Now I'm craving cake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love Laurel... and cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE IT! Did she make it in her Suzy Homomaker over #;-Q

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......