Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: House Among The Trees

This home, in Santa Monica, is more reminiscent of the ramshackle, rustic coastal homes farther north in California, say around Big Sur. It is private and serene, and a bit quirky, but still a rather peace-filled home.

When entering through the gates one is immediately transformed by the environment, the trees, the many levels to the house, which offer offers three bedrooms, including the primary suite on the second level and a fourth guest suite outside of the main house. The main floor includes a fifth bedroom suite and is centered around the chef's kitchen, the dining, living and family rooms which are all open to each other and flooded with natural light from the multi-level, open floor plan and numerous skylights. The upper level offers an additional indoor and outdoor library, office, creative space with views of the canyon and ocean breezes.

While I might think an elevator is necessary, I could live with the quirks and the stairs to have what feels like a private, worlds away oasis.

18 comments:

  1. This is lovely, though the back yard seems a bit claustrophobic. Love the way they furnished the place... it is all of one, very holistic, very natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of love the hidden away nature of the yard, cuz I am sure there are others house very close by.

      Delete
  2. This I like, though I'd add a little color to those walls and get rid of that crap hanging from the bedroom ceiling. Oh, and an elevator would be just dandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd edit the spaces myself.

      Delete
  3. Quirky indeed. I especially noticed the book 'case'
    on the floor!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the location of being surrounded by all the wilderness, the house itself is nice I like all the woods and the clean lines but overall I don't know if the house is for me. Something bothers me with the floor plan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd clear everything out of it, and then figure out how the spaces should look and interact.

      Delete
  5. Beautifully done. Excellent siting. But I think that floor plan (or what I can figure out of it) would drive me crazy. Makes me think of asking for directions in Maine. Ya cahnt get theyah from heyah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of like the tall stairwell to the rooftop library-ish room, but yeah, a map may be needed..

      Delete
  6. That house oozes good taste and careful choosing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a couple of tweaks I'd live there!

      Delete
  7. I think it's very California, with a dash of Arts and Crafts. The ceilings help it not be claustrophobic, but yeah, that backyard is a little crowded. It needs editing, but it's pretty..

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like it an oasis of sorts with the secluded yard.
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Definitely lovely and very Santa Monica, BUT all I can see is fire danger and/or landslide territory. Not to mention we are in earthquake country! I'm glad to live in the flats, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True about fires and mudslides and earthquakes.
      But I like the way it feels so remote.
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. I like it, but not all those exposed ceiling beams. I'd hate to be cleaning all those every week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could add a little color, all of the stairs might be a no for me. Looks like a fun place to stay, but not sure I could live there.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......