Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: Teloneio Kardamyli Stone House

The Teloneio is a former Customs House but had long since been abandoned before the new owners decided it would make a perfect vacation home. And that was an arduous process, though through governmental red tape, building codes, and design approval, taking eight years to turn a listed historical building into a modern family home, while simultaneously respecting its place in the local landscape, history, and community. 

The stone building has been sitting in this spot in the port of Kardamyli since the 18th century, making the Teloneio a focal point for the area. It had been resurrected once, as a motel, in the 1960s, and later partially buried in concrete and fallen into disrepair before the new owners saw something that made them buy it.

As a former fortified customs house, the Teloneio was originally designed for protection, with goods stored on the lower floor and defensive barracks space above. The architects opened up and connected the two floors, and the two separate buildings, adding features like new windows to add light and air flow to make it feel like a home.

All of the original 18th-century stonework was revealed, and once that mass of concrete that had been laid around the building as removed, it turned  the short squat buildings into tall slender ones. The shell of the building was then restored to its original fortified Mani architecture of thick stone walls.

And since the original building had a more utilitarian use, none of the spaces were connected or allowed people to move freely inside, and between, spaces; all the rooms had separate access from the outside. A new stairway was created in the center of the one building to allow access to the main spaces of living, dining and kitchen on the second floor, and access across a second-floor terrace to the primary suite. A new hallway was created on the first floor to connect one bedroom to the other two on the main floor.,

I love the old stone, with the new windows, and industrial kitchen; and the open spaces and sightlines to the port are stunning. It may no longer be a Custom’s House but is the most custom house.

As always, click to emBIGGERate ...

Arch Daily

19 comments:

  1. Very unique! That one bed, you'd have
    to crawl in to get in. Love the views.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But they added a catwalk along both sides!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Sorry, this is too much like a cave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the bedrooms, but the upstairs and the views of the sea are stunning.

      Delete
  3. This may be my favorite of all the homes you’ve shared... except that I wouldn’t be able to walk to a nearby café or restaurant. Sensational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be close to town, or take a boat to the nearest port???

      Delete
    2. Yeah, not the same as walking out the door, turning the corner and... there you are! Otherwise, I’d beg them to sell to me (ahem).

      Delete
  4. It's a stunner isn't it, although if I'm honest I think I might find all that stonework a little oppressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needs some artwork and big flowy drapes to soften the stone, but I love it, and the location.

      Delete
  5. I could live there with no problem...except probably the current owners might not accept me as a permanent guest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At first i didn't know i liked it. But after studying....I love the inside with its stone and clean wooded look. What I liked the most and fell in love with was the mosaic tile octopus detail. Stunning! I can just imagine a nice ocean breeze blowing the curtains. Heavens know I love being near water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of incredible stonework everywhere throughout. I love the ceiling in the great room, too.

      Delete
  7. Ok, so de mosaic work? STUN!
    And I love this. Bet the views from the upper floors are fabulous. I think I love the idea of letting the building speak for itself and keeping things minimal are a great idea.
    I can imagine a summer here...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your take on letting the house be what it wants.
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. I kinda like, I'd change the furniture and finish installing the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you hate the "no uppers" stuff, but I like the industrial steel-ness of it all.

      Delete
  9. I love the exterior, but there's too much stonework inside for me. like someone else said, too cave like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cave parts are for sleeping, so I'm good with that, and I love the history behind, and in, those stone walls!

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......