Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: The Makers House

This is the Makers House, so-called because of Liddicoat & Goldhill, the architectural firm behind the design, and their commitment to hand-assembled materials. The home sits on a street of semi-detached villas a short walk away from Victoria Park Village, Well Street Common and London Fields.

The house has an elegant asymmetry, with its zinc roof sloping in response to the movement of daylight. The outer skin of Roman brickwork extends inside and combines beautifully with exposed structural steel and timber beams.

The home is 2,387 square feet spread over four floors. The top floor holds two bedrooms that share a bath, while the primary bedroom, and bathroom, are on the second floor along with another bedroom with its own en suite. The ground floor features a multi-level ‘broken plan’ arrangement that contains a west-facing sitting room  which looks down onto the hand-built kitchen and dining area. The rear façade at ground level is constructed from three large pivoting glazed doors which open out to the courtyard garden. In the basement level is a larder room, utility closet and a moody lounge TV room.

To add to a sense of richness and history to the home Liddicoat & Goldhill used richly colored durable Rhodesian mahogany parquet floor reclaimed from Hove Fire Station in the 1970s on the upper floors. On the modern side of the design, the architects took a scientific approach to maximize natural light in the living spaces and modeled the site and its surroundings to allow them to adjust the building’s form and windows to capture sunlight at key parts of the day.

I love the rustic, and the sleek design, and the materials used, but, man, four floors? And no elevator??

Still, it can be yours for £2,750,000, er, $3,165,250.

As always, click to emBIGGERate ...

27 comments:

  1. Lovely to look at, but for $3.1M, I'd rather have a single story spread, sugarpie! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the kitchen and patio, and the upstairs, but other rooms are too dark and I'm' need an elevator put in before buying.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I expect they are narrowing their
    market with no elevator.
    When we stayed in London we
    were in a tent...
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, an elevator needs to go in STAT
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Interesting, but not my cuppa. And, yes, four floors and no elevator was a big mistake these days... and at that price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it IS London, so that explains the price, but yes to the elevator.

      Delete
  4. It's nice to see they put carpeting on the stairs to keep them from becoming a 'slip, trip, and fall' hazard, but otherwise? meh. What's up with that flag room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "flag" room is the media room.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous12:32 PM

    The exterior is amazing. The inside? Not in the least. Very, very, very disappointing. There's no accounting for taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the outside, but I do so love that kitchen and back patio.

      Delete
  6. Parts of this house are stunning like the floors, exposed stone walls and the kitchen has a nice clean chic feel to it. Other parts are too busy. But the exterior design is incredible!!!! I love the slanted roof on the one side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once again you and I are on the same page.

      Delete
  7. The furnishings aren't whimsical... they are alarming. The house looks like an IKEA. Nope. Not for me. The bathroom intrigued me, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Lips Couch would be in the rubbish pile on day one.

      Delete
  8. I love it.
    I like the idea of having sustainable, hand-made things in a house. It shows care. Love the roof and all that light. I'm slightly puzzled by the lack of closet space? And three mil???

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elegant and tasteful throughout but for that price it needs to be. That money would buy an impressive mansion with plenty of land in South Yorkshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might prefer a bit more land ...

      Delete
  10. Oh my, that is one fine piece of architecture. Once they discover I am part of the royal family and I get my inheritance, I will move in and invite everyone from bloggoland over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please, your Royal Highness.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Concise yet cogent; that's our Duchess Deedles. 💋💋💋

      Delete
  12. I could make a few changes and make it work, upper cabinets are handy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda like all the exposed brick in that kitchen, and the wide open space!

      Delete
  13. "multi-level broken plan" we call that split level here in Australia and I'd be wanting at least one handrail on those steps down to the kitchen. I like the kitchen quite a lot, especially that blue colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That kitchen area is my favorite spot, too.

      Delete
  14. I actually like it with all of its weird angles and big kitchen--except my old knees wouldn't like it very much! Especially with the laundry in the basement. Maybe if there was a dumbwaiter? Because laundry gets heavy, carrying it up and down!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......