Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Architecture Wednesday: minimum/MAXIMUM

minimum/MAXIMUM is a desert contemporary home built into a gem of a site that has some of the most panoramic and unobstructed views of Red Rock Canyon and Sandstone Bluff that one could ever hope for.

It’s called minimum/MAXIMUM  because  the home makes minimum impact to the existing native landscape, while maximizing the stunning site view of Red Rocks. The home is built to last with durable Doug Fir concrete, exposed structural steel, and cor-ten weathering steel that will patina with time. The interiors are a warm compliment to the exterior materials with Vegas Rock stone, white oak flooring, reclaimed wormwood cladding, blackened steel, burnished plaster, and concrete.  The three-bedroom, three-and-a-half-bath home also uses solar panels, roof gardens, and more green technologies to make it a perfect off-grid retreat.

But what I like are the views, and that long glassed-in hallway beneath the great room that leads to the main bedroom, with its own spectacular views, access to outside, and gorgeous main bathroom. What I also like is the rusted metal siding, which mimics the desert landscape, and the ultra-modern great room with black kitchen and warm wood floors. And then you have that upstairs and downstairs outdoor living space, which is perfect for Carlos and me, because he’d stay up, away from the inevitable snakes, and I could be down at the firepit enjoying the desert.

As always, click to emBIGGERate …

13 comments:

  1. Stunning. Both the house and the views.
    I love when the architect adapts the house to fit the terrain, not the terrain to fit the house. I love the super clean lines and the use of in/out feeling. Very 'open concept' without being annoying.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya lost me at desert, Bobulah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. snakes!!!
    okay, got that out of the way.
    Good job of melding the house
    to the surroundings. The views!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cousin lived in the Mojave Desert when her husband was stationed at China Lake Naval Station. Spent time there. Not my climate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, that beautiful house is a snake charmer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Add a touch more color...Now when did you say the movers are coming...

    PS-Hope you and Carlos had a great getaway...It's nice to unplug and not worry about life for a few days...Hope the kids are ok...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with the Duchess Deedles. I'm so not a desert person...to stark, and so is the house. Too hotel feeling to me. The design is nice, I can appreciate that, but far from me on this one. Deedles and I will be beach side in that Bette Davis house from a few weeks back......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maddie, honey, I'm with you! I'd stay in the water so long people would wonder who put the swimsuit on the giant golden raisin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. I always wanted to live in a house with big windows. But I think I'd be terrified that birds would fly into them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me, this is all about the views and the glass. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look at that furniture and think... why would I want to live in an office conference room? This has all the comforts of an airport boarding gate. I almost like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although I'm not into modern stylings and the desert, I like the way the house works with the landscape. Have you ever visited Fallingwater?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......