Monday, January 04, 2021

Around The House

A little art around the house ... the three smaller prints on the side are woodblock prints we bought in Bellingham of an ancient fish, an ancient tree and an ancient moth; I'll take closeups later.


The Native American watercolor was done by a friend of mine and I have had it for decades, taking it with me on every move. My friend Roz painted two Native American Chiefs for me, and I have both in our living room; I'll also take a picture of that one later. 
On the far right are two watercolors painted by a woman named Verna Gannon in Sacramento that hung in a restaurant some friend's owned. Each time I would go to that restaurant I would look at them and then I bought them. One is an eerie scene of trees in fog, and the other is a brilliantly colored vision of people that seem to be rising.


We bought this African jug on a trip to Aiken; it's not terribly old, but I loved the color and the roughhewn shape of it. Plus, it was sitting in this wooden base, which we found out was sold separately, but we bought that, too. Looking closely, you see it was once one piece of wood, carved into a stand that also has faces on the tops that hold the jug. It isn't African, but again, it looked so good together we bought both.


Lastly, there is a Mexican art form where people paint brilliantly colored impressionistic paintings on tree bark that has been flattened into a canvas. We have several around the house, but these were gifts from Tia Gloria and are my favorites.

So, there you have it, a little more Things I Like Around the House.

12 comments:

  1. I love having original art. You have such a nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those bird paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that stand is quite interesting. you have lovely and diverse art pieces in your home, bob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, of course, like the Bellingham
    pieces best since they are from
    Washington AC (above California.
    Actually enjoyed them all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Carlos have good taste in art!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so the Mexican artwork is fantastic. Do want. I'm going to try and see if I can find anything like that here in Chi. We have La Villita, after all.
    Love the gallery wall and the way you've arranged the artwork. I also love the stories!!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. I started to write "I especially love...” but the more I looked the more I especially loved everything. Beautiful, unusual art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your collection... love these. Great taste. I love watercolors. Thank you for this peek into your world! Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Sadie
    I like that we don't have these things "just because;' but because they have meaning to us.

    @Dave
    We have several smaller bark painting scattered throughout the house. All very vibrant.

    @AM
    Our faces sank when the art dealer told us the stand wasn't included. and then we bought it anyway!

    @TDM
    Those Bellingham prints are very cool. I need to take closeups to share.

    @Debra
    We like them all, too! Thanks!

    @Six
    Carlos had several bark paintings when we met, and this his Tia Gloria, now also my Tia Gloria, sent those two as a gift.

    @Mitchell
    We like all different kinds of things and they all seem to work together.

    @uptonking
    Glad you enjoyed the mini tour. I, too, love a good watercolor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your art work is just beautiful Bob. And looking at the base of that African bowl it's very impressive. I had a neighbour (since died) who used to carve the most amazing things out of a singular piece of wood - chain links, you name it. Very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was, surround yourself with things that make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that is a cauldron.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......