Wednesday, November 22, 2017

For The Record: F**k Is Free Speech ... Even In Texas

I often make fun of Texas, and Texans, on this here blog thingy, but I understand that there might be one, or more, rational, sane, people living in the Lone Star state and, lo and behold, I found one … Karen Fonseca.

Last week, Troy Nehls, the sheriff of Fort Bend County, Texas, posted to Facebook about Karen Fonseca and her truck. He suggested Fonseca should be arrested and charged with disorderly conduct after his office received complaints about the sticker on her vehicle:
“F**K TRUMP and f**k you for voting for him!”
And, ironically enough, the day after Nehls post, Karen Fonseca was arrested on an outstanding warrant on fraud charges from 2015.

Sheriff Nehls, who is considering a bid for Congress in 2018—and he screams Texas politician with his ten-gallon hat shoved firmly up his ass—deleted the Facebook post, though Karen Fonseca wasn’t about to delete her sign. In fact she added to it:
 “F**K TROY NEHLS AND F**K YOU FOR VOTING FOR HIM.”
Fonseca’s attorney, Brian Middleton, says Nehl’s actions were an intent “to deny [Fonseca] of her First Amendment right to freedom of speech.” Fonseca is now considering a civil rights lawsuit against the sheriff. 

Facebook exploded with people defending Fonseca’s right to Free Speech, with the ACLU of Texas saying:
“You can’t prosecute speech just because it has the word f*ck in it.”
Nehls is now saying he supports Free Speech, and tried to make it clear that he didn’t arrest Fonseca for that window sticker—even though it seemed a little too coinky-dinky:
“I think now it would be a good time to have meaningful dialogue with that person and express the concerns out there regarding the language on the truck.”
Fonseca says the sticker has been on her truck for eleven months and no one had said a thing about it until Nehl’s posted his “outrage” on Facebook:
“No matter what race, religion, or belief you may have, we are all equal. Not any one of us is any better than anyone else. Everyone’s voice should be heard. And I’m just one person.” 
For now, both stickers remain on her truck. 

Sidenote: when I first heard this story, and before I heard Fonseca’s name, or learned this happened in Texas, my very first thought was:
“Anne Marie! What have you done?”
And then I thought:
“F**k that!”
And finally:

“F**k _____.”

8 comments:

  1. Ha! I thought about Anne Marie too! I've noticed that when you use a word too much (not talking about Anne Marie here) it loses its impact a bit. I don't use this kind of language because I have a tendency to pronounce everything too properly. Talk about losing impact :) I think I would've went with FORK on the truck and watched the double takes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I thought I had problems with the boy tribe when Clinton was in office. (They wanted to go trick or treating dressed in suits and holding cigars... nope!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUCK YEAH! FUCK THE DUMP! FUCK THAT SHERIFF! FUCK TEXAS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne Marie....lol...!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne Marie, do you have any second cousins in Texas!

    I THINK that sticker every day and often say it out loud. If only I had the huevos to post it on my car.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had the exact same situation here in Edmonton two or three years ago with some guy who was driving around the city with a big sign on his truck saying "Fuck Harper." (our previous Prime Minister). The cops threatened to pull him over and ticket him for public mischief or some such BS. What a public outcry! It was soon made clear to the police that our Charter rights in Canada protect that kind of free speech.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......