Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Architecture Wednesday: Flint Hills Farmhouse

Located on a farmstead near Alma, Kansas, the Flint Hills house was designed for a family of five and their summer guests.

The house is comprised of four wings that are clad in cedar rain and topped with a corrugated metal roof. Each wing is a simple rectangle with a pitched roof like a traditional Flint Hills farmhouse. But each wing is linked by two glass-enclosed atriums with flat, planted roofs.

Since Alma is known as the “City of Native Stone” the chimney and landscape walls are built out of limestone from a nearby quarry, and its location allows those who live there to enjoy the wonderful wide green fields and the endless horizon.

I don’t think much about living in one of the square states in the middle, but I kind of like the Zen quality of this Kansas farmhouse.

And who knows, a twister could come along and cart me off to Oz …


Click to emBIGGERate
El Dorado

3 comments:

  1. Rather nice! Tornadoes stay away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this house I like! I don't care for its location, but I like the building. See, I like stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That place... So minimalistic, so pretty! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......