Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Architecture Wednesday: Nasu Tepee


I do like something different, vacation cabin in Nasu, Tochigi Prefecture, a well-known summer resort in Japan fits the bill.

Since the site is located in the midst of dense woods the idea was to have high ceilings to let direct sunlight in the house, but in a traditional home that would result in the space becoming too large, too cost-ineffective for heating and air conditioning, and the fear that some trees might have to come down to make way for a tall “regular” house. So, unnecessary space was eliminated, cut diagonally to make the ceiling lower based on the way people move. This resulted in a tent-shaped house with only one third of the volumes, with ceilings as high as 26 feet and most ceilings a comfortable 8.5 feet high, with spaces closest to the sloped walls used as sleeping or seating areas.

The windows are all double glazed in order to ensure that the tall spaces are airtight and well insulated.. During summer, warm air gathers at the top and escapes through the top light side window, while in winter that warm air is drawn down into the larger spaces.

It may not suit everyone, but I love the odd shapes, the slopes walls, the high angular windows and the peaceful Zen-ness of the living spaces.

I could camp there …

Click to emBIGGERate ...

13 comments:

  1. I can beyond enjoy the scope of creativity, design, and the very artistic elements of this home, but nope, no way could I live there. I was getting dizzy at just looking at the pictures, and getting a irritable feeling from them.

    I would feel as though I was living in a art installation 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder - the bird - art or real?
    No railings or protection from falling
    off ledges.
    But beyond that very creative for
    some people.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give me Victorian Clutter... with a feather duster and a rug beater! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. @MM
    I'm not sure it's for me either, but I love a quirky design!

    @TDM
    It's not exactly Tequila-friendly!

    @Jimmy
    And what do you do with a rug beater? Oh, that's a real thing? Never mind! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob...Rug beaters are a real thing. Back in the day one would drag the rug outside, hang it and beat it with a woven wicker paddle on a long stick to knock the dust out... but knowing Jimmy, he'd be using it on the supple ass of some young Lad. Or himself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @MM
    My first thought was sex toy. I mean, who beats a rug!!??!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First thing came to mind was that all the triangular doorways looked like they had been based on the Krell Lab sequence in 1955's "Forbidden Planet" - I almost expected Robby the Robot to be standing guard beside the front entrance -

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me, this is visually fascinating and beautiful to look at. But I would constantly be walking into those diagonally sloping walls. Not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting, but no

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so here for this...!
    I love everything, from the design to the thoughtful integration with the terrain.
    I'll eventually post more pics of my place and you'll see why I like the teepee configuration.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:03 PM

    Remember those donations to our presumptive VP was not spent on her campaign...She donated them to charities...You know those that they would never support.

    The house. Love bold and new ideas but this is too visually cutting for me. I would feel like I am in a box and can't get out. Love the location but will pass on the design.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Y'all have your minds in the gutter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Jimmy
    I was just thinking of the funny I could have with a feather duster and rug beater and then my mind went THERE!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......