Friday, October 15, 2010

I Didn't Say It.........

Chad Allen, on coming out:
"I have long held the belief that those of us who are gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender have been given an extraordinary gift. We are forced to go inside ourselves and determine, once and for all, that we are good. If we have anything at all to give the world, we are going to find it somewhere along that journey."

Nicely put, Chad.
And it's true, for those of you still not out, to know, that you are okay, and you are loved, and you do have a family.
Even if we've never met, we are a family.

Dan Savage, on the White House's posting of an "It Gets Better" message from Brian Bond, Deputy Director of the Office of Public Engagement:
 "Fuck you, you pack of co-opting cowards. Seriously. You can do a more than offer hope. You have the power to make it better. Right now. Suspend enforcement of DADT. Don't appeal the decision by a federal judge that declared DADT unconstitutional. Stop defending DOMA in court. Keep your promises. Make it better. And if you're not going to keep your promises or do what you can to make it better, White House, then you could at least have the simple human decency to shut the fuck up.
"State-sanctioned discrimination against LGBT people legitimizes the kind of anti-gay attitudes and beliefs that lead directly to anti-gay bullying at the ballot box and anti-gay bullying in schools. You can do more. Enough with the speeches. Enough with the pretty words—particularly lifted ones. Fuck you."

Dan's anger is contagious, and I think he has a valid point.
Why, when he could be doing so much more, does the Obama Administration want to ride on someone else's coattails.
How about leading for a change?
That would be the example.

American Family Association wingnut Bryan Fischer, on the Tennessee fire department that watched a family's house burn to the ground because they had not paid the annual $75 fire protection fee:
"The fire department did the right and Christian thing. The right thing, by the way, is also the Christian thing, because there can be no difference between the two. The right thing to do will always be the Christian thing to do, and the Christian thing to do will always be the right thing to do. If I somehow think the right thing to do is not the Christian thing to do, then I am either confused about what is right or confused about Christianity, or both. In this case, critics of the fire department are confused both about right and wrong and about Christianity. And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

I had no idea that the "Christian" thing to do was to do nothing.
I thought Christianity was about helping your fellow man, loving your fellow man.
Not standing idly by and watching his house burn to the ground.
If that's Christianity, y'all can have it.
I'll stick with compassion.

Joan Collins, on beauty:
"I have to say, there aren't that many good looking actresses around today. I mean, there's Angelina Jolie and there's... Angelina Jolie. Jennifer Aniston is cute, but I wouldn't call her beautiful. She's no Ava [Gardner] or Lana [Turner]. I think that is why Cheryl Cole is so popular, because she is just so pretty and the public are starved of gorgeous people. When I was young, everybody on screen was gorgeous."

Joan Collins on beauty?
The woman never met  a plastic surgeon she didn't command to nip or tuck her.
She's the last person to be discussing what is beautiful.

Elton John, on LGBTQ bullying:
"People were saying gays should be beaten up, we're not part of God's universe. What kind of mentality is this? When I first came here, it was such a loving country. It's never been in a more horrible place. This is not the America I love. We've come so far, with a black president, it's mystifying that this can still be going on. Jesus Christ taught tolerance. That's the example we should follow. We should forgive, understand, be compassionate. We're not all the same. Thank God! It would be so boring."

This is the Elton John of whom I am a fan.
Simple, honest, straightforward.
But then.......

Elton John [again]. on singing at Rush Limbaugh's wedding:
"We talked a lot before I did it, and I was surprised how much I liked (him). If I had done it just for the money, I could have seen 40 years of my reputation go down the tube. As a gay man, I felt it my duty to find out what this guy thought. I did that before I played there. I felt there was a real reason for me going. I said, 'I suppose you're wondering what the fuck I'm doing here,' and they collapsed in laughter. It took the heat off. I said, 'I'm probably the most famous gay man in the world. I'm coming in peace. Please, let's not say people are horrible because they're different. That's not acceptable in this day and age.' It was a good audience. There's much more of a person in there than the public knows. I believe dialogue is a way forward. Come on, what era are we living in?"

What kind of "dialogue" did you have, Elton? See, because I have yet to see Limbaugh change his views on the LGBT community, DOMA, DADT.
I think the dialogue went like this:
Rush: My third-fourth-fifth wife loves your music and she wants you to sing at our wedding even though I think you're less than.
Elton: I'll do it for a boatload of money.
Rush: Here's the check.
Elton: My soul is worth 4 million bucks!

Christine O'Donnell, on the recent ruling repealing DADT:
"A federal judge recently ruled that we have to overturn Don’t Ask Don’t Tell. There are a couple of things we need to say about that. First of all, judges should not be legislating from the bench. Second of all, it’s up to the military to set the policy that the military believes is in the best interest of unit cohesiveness and military readiness. The military already regulates personal behavior in that it doesn’t allow affairs to go on within your chain of command. It does not allow it you are married to have an adulterous affair within the military. So the military already regulates personal behavior because it feels that it is in the best interest of our military readiness. I don’t think that Congress should be forcing a social agenda on to our military. I think we should leave that to the military."

So, allowing gays to serve in the military would lead to people having sex with their commanders, and people committing adultery.
Oh, Christine, you give us too much power.
You're the witch, dear.
Actually, you're the ill-informed, illiterate wingnut bitch, dear.

3 comments:

  1. Joan Collins looks like the Joker from Batman. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chad Allen and Dan Savage are not only awesome but are role models. I applaud them for what they've done and for continuing our fight.

    Joan Collins needs to get her eyes checked. Jennifer Aniston is not only beautiful but she's one of the few women walking the Earth that could make me turn in my gay card.

    I'm with you on Christianity as defined by the AFA. What a bunch of hateful asshats.

    Elton John? Yeah, he sold his soul to El Rushbo when he played that wedding and bitched about marriage equality here in CA. I haven't listened to one of his CDs since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fisher is so ridiculous in what he says. Even in writing, I can hear him squirming to say the right think and not say the wrong thing. It's obvious he's sermonizing while making a statement. Jesus preached acceptance of everyone AND, he gave others a hard time when they criticized him for it. I beleive he raised Lazarus fromt he dead, even though Lazarus didn't really believe him enough to leave his comfortable life and follow Jesus. I guess that's the biblical equivalent to "owing money", isn't it? So Fisher has his head up his ass there!

    Elton is such a disappointment. We cannot be using the word tolerance! We just can't. We are not something to be tolerated. Noisy neighbors are "tolerated". Idiots who cut you off on the highway are "tolerated". Being tolerant means that the act you are tolerating is actually a bad thing. Homosexuality is to be accepted. If we are ever to be accepted, we have to start demanding acceptance, not just tolerance. Tolerance means that they still want to beat you up, they just won't do it today. Acceptance means they won't ever consider beating us up. That's what we want.

    Joan has always been Joan. She loves saying the wrong thing. She thrives on it! Read her book, she is imperfect,and she knows it quite well! But she's still fabulous, mostly because she just doesn't give a shit about what anybody else thinks. She's paid her dues, and then some!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......