Monday, March 13, 2023

Oscarvations

Y’all know this is a long-assed show, so I’m gonna focus on the funny, and maybe the sweet, and the winners, and what people said, cuz it was a good show, and as a huge fan of Everything Everywhere All At Once I was quite happy, so here goes …

I am not the biggest fan of Jimmy Kimmel, as he sometimes plays it safe and I like my comedy with an edge, but he gave us some zingers … though he spent a bit too much time up Tom Cruise’s ass, like when he parachuted out of Top Gun onto the stage.

Give me a chance to adjust my danger zone here. My banshees are caught in my inisherin.

And we begin with The Rock, annoyingly scripted, and Emily Blunt present BEST ANIMATED FEATURE … Guillermo del Toro Pinocchio

In the acting categories alone there are sixteen first-time nominees …Jamie Lee Curtis … Ana de Armas … Colin Farrell … Michelle Yeoh … Brendan Fraser … Ke Huy Quan … Thirty-one years ago, Brendan Fraser and Ke Huy Quan starred together in ‘Encino Man.’ Two actors from ‘Encino Man’ are nominated for Oscars. … What a very difficult night for Pauley Shore.

Troy Kotzer and Ariana Dubose present PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE … Ke Huy Quan Everything Everywhere All At Once …  

“Mom, I just won an Oscar.” 

... and then PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE … Jamie Lee Curtis Everything Everywhere All At Once … 

My mother and father were both nominated for Oscars … I just won an Oscar.”

Cara Delevingne presents Sofia Carson singing ‘Applause’ from Tell It Like A Woman, a rather beautiful rendition. 

When I look around this room I can’t help but wonder, Is Ozempic right for me?

Riz Ahmed—Hot Man Alert—and Questlove present BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE … Navalny …

'My husband is in prison just for telling the truth.’

... followed by BEST LIVE-ACTION SHORT FILM … An Irish Goodbye … The winners thank a few people and then sing Happy Birthday, with the audience, to a friend …

Halle Bailey And Melissa McCarthy present a trailer for Disney’s live-action Little Mermaid film … because Disney, ABC, Oscars … blatant self-promotion.

I’m glad to see Nicole Kidman has been set free from that abandoned AMC theater.

Michael B. Jordan and Jonathan Majors—Hot Men Alert—present ACHIEVEMENT IN CINEMATOGRAPHY … All Quiet on The Western Front … James Friend … sweet  … 

Jennifer Connelly and Samuel L. Jackson present ACHIEVEMENT IN MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING … The Whale … Adrien Morot, Judy Chin, and Anne Marie Bradley …

‘Avatar: The Way of Water’ gave James Cameron another chance to do what he likes best: drowning Kate Winslet … You know a show is too long when even James Cameron can’t sit through it … Why did the academy not nominate James Cameron for directing? Who do they think he is? A woman? … James Cameron has directed three $2 billion movies or, given his marital history, three $1 billion movies.

Morgan Freeman and Margot Robie talk about Warner Bros. a bit that could have been excluded and shaved valuable minutes off the show … and I noticed they included a clip of The Wizard of Oz,  a film made by MGM?

Paul Dano and Julia Louis Dreyfus … she makes a joke about being a fashionista in that made from home dress … ACHIEVEMENT IN COSTUME DESIGN … Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Ruth Carter … “Thanks to the academy for recognizing the superhero that is a Black woman. She endures, she overcomes, she loves.”

Antonia Banderas and Salma Hayek present BEST INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM …All Quiet On The Western Front … Germany

This point in the show kinda makes you miss the slapping.

Elizabeth Olsen and Pedro Pascal present BEST DOCUMENTARY SHORT FILM … The Elephant Whisperers followed by BEST ANIMATED SHORT FILM … The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and The Horse

Lady Gaga is out to sing her song from Top Gun Maverick after first saying she wouldn’t be there and having the academy select someone else to sing it. She milks her moment proving she is as thirsty as Madonna and making the moment all about her

Andie MacDowell and Hugh Grant talk about moisturizers; he says Andie’s been suing one every day for the last twenty-nine years and he’s never used one, which is why she is “still stunning” and he looks like a “scrotum” ...

and then they present ACHIEVEMENT IN PRODUCTION DESIGN … All Quiet On The Western Front

The difference between movies and TV is that TV can’t lose a hundred million dollars. Is the gang from ‘Babylon’ here?

Mindy Kaling and John Cho present BEST ORIGINAL SCORE … All Quiet On The Western Front

Elizabeth Banks and Cocaine Bear are out, she nearly trips on her hideous gown, to present ACHIEVEMENT IN VISUAL EFFECTS … Avatar: The Way of Water

Jimmy Kimmel reads questions the audience, a bit that fell flat, which proves yet again, keep the host onstage and out of the crowd.

Rihanna sings Life Me Up simply and elegantly.

They say Hollywood is running out of ideas. Poor Steven Spielberg had to make a movie about Steven Spielberg. Steven Spielberg and Seth Rogan right here. The Joe and Hunter Biden of Hollywood.

Florence Pugh and Andrew Garfield present BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY … Everything Everywhere All At Once … The Daniels, Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert … thanking teachers … 

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
 … Women Talking … Sarah Polley … 
I want to thans the academy for not being mortified by the words ‘women’ and ‘talking’ so close together.

Kimmel out again to kiss Tom Cruise’s ass … does he get paid for each Top Gun mention?

Janelle Monae and Kate Hudson present ACHIEVEMENT IN SOUND … Top Gun Maverick ... 

and then present BEST ORIGINAL SONG … the very catchy Naatu Naatu from RRR

If anyone in this theater commits an act of violence, you will be awarded the Oscar for Best Actor and permitted to give a nineteen minute long speech. If anything unpredictable or violent happens, do what you did last year: Nothing. Sit there and do nothing; maybe even give the assailant a hug.

John Travolta tears up as he introduces the In Memoriam segment, with a nod to the late Olivia Newton John … Lenny Kravitz sings ‘Calling All Angels’

Sigourney Weaver and Zoe Saldana present ACHIEVEMENT IN FILM EDITIING … Everything Everywhere All At Once … Paul Rogers … totally adorable … 

"This is too much. This is my second film, y’all. This crazy.”

Everyone who’s ever received a text message from their father knows about editing. Editors can turn 44,000 hours of violent insurrection footage into a respectable sightseeing tour of the capital.

Idris Elba and Nicole Kidman present ACHIEVEMENT IN DIRECTING … Everything Everywhere All At Once … The Daniels, Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert … love seeing people thrilled to win who love their work and the idea that people found it and love it … 

"Specifically my mom and dad, thank you for not squashing my creativity when I was making really disturbing horror films or perverted comedy films or dressing in drag which is a threat to no one.”

Jessica Chastain and Halle Berry present BEST ACTOR … Brendan Fraser … The Whale …
"Thanks to Darren Aronofsky for throwing me a creative lifeline.’
… followed by BEST ACTRESS … Michelle Yeoh … Everything Everywhere All At Once …
‘For all the little boys and girls who look like me, this is a beacon of hope. And ladies, don’t let anyone ever tell you you’re past your prime.’

Harrison Ford presents BEST FILM … Everything Everywhere All At Once … accepted by producer, and hot little nugget—Hot Man Alert—Jonathan Wang … ‘To my wife, if all this shiny stuff and tuxedoes goes away I would just love to do taxes and laundry with you for the rest of my life.’

And there you have it, all the awards presented on the show, and yet it went just about nine minutes long. I love that Everything Everywhere All At Once won so many … Jamie Lee Curtis deserved her t … a more bizarre and amazing film I have never seen. Lots of laughs, a few missteps, but no slaps, which is a good thing.

What did you think?

28 comments:

  1. The best bit? Your sightseeing snide. Thankyou for watching this tedious programme so I didn't have to. Looking forward to your take on the fashion, especially the woman wearing a grey sheet from her bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have that tomorrow!

      Delete
    2. You missed out the lady in the sheet!

      Delete
  2. Good reporting! Did not watch either but
    know I could count on you. DH might rent
    the best movie. Seattle paper had a fashion
    report and thought about you as I went thru
    the pictures.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fashion snark appears tomorrow, and having seen Everything Everywhere All At Once ... a few times ... I wanted to see those actors win.
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Didn't watch. Like others, I figured you'd catch me up, plus Good Morning America would give good coverage. Everything Everywhere seems chaotic, so I won't be seeing that one. Probably none of the others as well; except, I do want to see The Whale. I was happy to learn Jimmy called the audience out for doing nothing at last year's slap and kissing Will Smith's arse (congratulating him on the win) after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEAAO needs to be viewed a couple of times, or more, because it's a wonderful, odd, loving story.
      I, too, need to see The Whale.
      I think Jimmy handled The Slap response quite well.

      Delete
  4. I didn't see it and now I'm exhausted... and the thought of the entrance alone gave me enough of Jimmy Kimmel up Tom Cruise's ass. And I kind of like Jimmy Kimmel... but not so much anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine Tommy pays Jimmy to talk about it, and for me there ain't enough money in the world!

      Delete
  5. I am one of the dwindling few who faithfully watch the Oscars every year. Looking forward to your review of the gowns tomorrow. There were some spectacularly hideous ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were.
      And always love the Oscars, for the fashion, the faux pas, the fun and hot men in hot suits.

      Delete
  6. I watched "Everything Everywhere All at Once" this afternoon and I found it very tedious. Maybe I am one of the seven dwarfs... Grumpy but I don't care. In my humble opinion, it was as rough Scotsmen might say - shite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it takes more than one viewing, at least for me..

      Delete
  7. Watched just tidbits. I was following Charlotte Clymer and Jezebel who were live twitting this and it was hilarious. Pedro Pascal and Michael Jordan can spit roast me any time.
    EEAAO was THE movie. Well deserved oscars (yes, Angela Basset was DRESSED for the Oscar, but Michelle rules).
    The Whale? Yes. Avatar? Yes. And as you said, the host is better when you don't really see them.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goddess, Pedro Pascal! Yum.
      I loved Angela, but she looked really pissed when she didn't win; her RBF was out in full force.
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the detailed summary -- more info than I'd seen elsewhere! I was very happy with the winners. If I'd chosen them myself I'd have given the same awards. (At least in the major categories -- I haven't seen all the other films.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really happy about all the acting awards; I think it was cool that all the winners were first time nominees.

      Delete
  9. TL;DW but I did look at the fashions this morning in the LA Times and the NYT. I am looking forward to your fashion critique, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked them a lot. You're right, Paul Rogers is adorable. And Everything, Everywhere, All at Once is layer, after layer, after layer of genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good show for a change!

      Delete
  11. Nice recap! I myself have not watch the Oscar's in years. A once dignified and meaningful event has turned into a tacky, inane ego circus if you ask me. The essence of Hollywood has changed so drastically. But I was glad to hear Jamie Lee Curtis won, but was rather shocked by Ms. Basset's attitude and reaction from what I saw from coverage. I sure hope she is above being a bitter woman. I like to think she is a class act, but in Hollywood these days there is a short supply of moral, decorum and class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked t better this year because new people were nominated and were seemingly less jaded than others; the excitement at first time nominees winning was lovely.
      As for Angela's reaction, while I love her, she's an actress and could have "acted" a smile.

      Delete
  12. Everything Everywhere All At Once is a truly amazing film. I saw it the week it came out and was gobsmacked. My jaw on the floor. And when Jamie Lee came on? Such a thrill to see her in a decent movie. I'm not a fan of the Oscars anymore... awards shows in general are exercizes in excess and ego - but I still enjoy a good film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I have seen it about three times now ... I saved t to the DVR ...and I love it.

      Delete
  13. I enjoyed the show, mainly because the winners were genuinely thrilled and excited. Jimmy was okay. I thought the donkey was kind of cute. I'm glad the Oscars didn't have any trigger events this year. Will Smith guaranteed that he might not be remembered for winning an award but he'll always be remembered for the slapping shit.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about all of the acting winners; nice to see new faces who seem genuinely thrilled to win.
      xoxo

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......