Wednesday, March 01, 2023

Architecture Wednesday: The Mill House

The design of the Mill House addresses a need to link a cluster of three sperate buildings, including a mill room dating to around the mid-to-late 16th century, into one residence surrounding an open courtyard.

While the ground level looks out to the courtyard and is home to the dining and living areas., the courtyard is the connecting agent, linking each of the three disparate spaces. Part of that occurs thanks to a glazed second floor walkway that connects the three volumes. Invisible from the street, the walkway is both hidden and yet a bold reflective layer of contrast between old and new. It forms a lustrous perimeter that carries users from one living block to another and the glazing graduates from solid reflection to sheer translucency throughout the day, its opacity moderating with the sun’s changing light. In the morning, it reflects the courtyard’s stonework while at night, its glazed corridor is internally lit, illuminating the pool area below and revealing movements of its inhabitants as they travel from one bedroom to another.

I love the use of the old arched volumes for living and kitchen areas, but really love the modern touch of shimmering glass hallway that hangs above the courtyard. It really makes the home the best of both, or all three, worlds.


As always, click to emBIGGERate ...

ArchDaily

18 comments:

  1. I like the cleanliness... all those sharp corners, clean lines. But the reality is: life is messy. Take that pool, for instance. Just imagine all the speedos tossed aside and half-drunk cock-a-tails lying about? Or that trail of clothing that leads to my bedroom. And that kitchen? Give me an hour in it and it won't look like that anymore. Yes... life is messy. One needs to plan accordingly. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of liking your vison of living in the house. Sounds like a mighty fun getaway!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Lovely! But all I can think was how do they keep it clean? My children would have left lots of fingerprints on those clear walls of the walkway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice that they were able to re-do
    that very old building.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I read the words “mill house” and I was already sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, and then the pool! Oy, gimme!

      Delete
  5. LOVE the renovation of bringing the buildings together. I always love making the old new again-store fronts, gas stations, old schools, churches, auto show rooms...

    Now that the renovation is now complete and the mill house is ready for occupancy, let me come in with some color and touches that give the overall feel of warmness and hominess. The stark look just screams HELP ME!!

    PS-Since the crazy Alex Murdaugh family mess is your neck of the woods, will you being doing an in-depth post with a local perspective? I would love to hear a local insight/perspective. I believe there is a broader story here besides Dynasty type intrigue. From what I have gleaned from reports this family has a long history of having a grip of the politics and justice in the area. And all that money. I have not watched the Netflix documentary on the family. Here bits and pieces of the trail I thought I was living in Dallas again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree completely about taking one thing and making it into a home.
      As for Murdaugh I haven't been following too closely, other than reading the papers, and he's not really in our corner of SC, though I have heard his family and their connections are far and wide and frightening.

      Delete
  6. An interesting house. Believe it or not, when I saw that top photo, I thought, "That looks like Malta." Then I see in your tags that I was right! The arches in the kitchen are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of the "old" becoming new and modern, yet keeping the old in tact for the most part!

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of modernizing old buildings and bringing they all together. I think the clean lines are perf. I also like the airy quality the windows and the choice of palette bring. Right up my alley.
    And I'd like to live in the house Upton was describing.
    Can you imagine the pool parties???
    Get your square cuts ready!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I'm thinking about are Upton's pool parties!
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. To absolutely nobody's surprise, I don't like this one. It looks more like Mil-dew house to me. Can't help it Bobulah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mil-dew?????? :::::thud::::::

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......