Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Golden Globes Fashion [?] Round-Up

After a year away from TV, due to a scandal involving the utter lack of diversity in the Hollywood Foreign Press—let that sink in—the Golden Globes returned to Tv, and my fashion round-up and snark have followed suit. So let’s roll …

BEST

Letitia Wright, from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, in what seems to be a simple, rather unconstructed dress, but really looks like a work of modern art. Extra points for the styling and the fact that she looked like no one else on the red Carpet.

VERY GOOD

Ana de Armas, Blonde and Knives Out, is another simple dress, the glittering front and back panels … is it armor … elevated it a notch.

Jean Smart, Hacks, proves you don’t need color and glitz and sparkle to looks chic and fabulous.

Michaela Jae Rodriguez, the first out trans actress to win a Golden Globe for acting, Pose,  brought the sheen and the glamour and the color. Regal and elegant and fashion forward.

GOOD

Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, shines; Bassett usually keeps it sleek and elegant but this year she brought the sparkle, and won a Globe for Supporting Actress in a  Drama.

Hilary Swank, Alaska Daily, very pregnant, and yet very elegant in a gorgeous green number that might have been better without the floor-length, and beyond, ribbons.

Jessica Chastain, George and Tammy, in a sexy Kiss of the Spiderwoman-esque slinky number.  

NICE

clockwise

Jennifer Hudson looks fine, but she looks like an actual Golden Globe and that drives me a little crazy.

Monica Barbaro, Top Gun: Maverick, looks nice; it’s pretty and simple, from head to toe but could have use a glimmer of sparkle.

Viola Davis looks regal and elegant, but it was raining in LA last night and it looks like the hem of her dress helped soak up some of the moisture. Note to Viola: get a stylist who will lift the dress up as you cross the puddles.

Sheryl Lee Ralph looks regal in a gorgeous purple sequined number, but the dress looks so heavy; there’s no airiness to it. And that 1970os Cher Hair™ was a miss.

GOOD THEN MEH

Jenna Ortega looked sexy and chic in a strappy beige flowy dress with a semi-bare midriff, while Lily Rose tried the same thing in a boxy baggy billowy dear good could there be more fabric red number.

Jenna won this round.

MEH

Clockwise

Daisy Edgar Jones, Where the Crawdads Sing; why are women still doing the negligee look? This looks like what one might wear under the actual gown.

Jenny Slate looks like she’s off to prom at the ice cream shop; it’s the definition of Meh.

Margot Robie, Babylon, is a movie star,  but this looks like a leftover, rehashed skating costume from her I, Tony Days; and the limp hair? Margot? Again, you’re a movie star!

Selena Gomez is a young pretty girl so why trot out one of grandma’s old gowns that is ill-fitting and has sleeves the size of a Yaris and long strappy ribbons?

Quinta Bruson, Abbot Elementary, is a petite woman lost in the mermaid mess of tulle. And every time you saw her last night she was hitching up the top to keep her girls from escaping. Note: if you have to yank your dress up every five minutes, maybe strapless isn’t for you?

Michelle Williams, The Fablemans, used to work the blond pixie hair and simple chic clothes and she was all that and a bag of chips. In this ruffled mess, with the Mom Hair™ she looks less all that and more bag of chips.

BAD

Rhea Seehorn, Better Call Saul, looks like a sweet young woman who decided to Bedazzle™ and old flowered slip cover and wear it. No, honey, no.

Anya Taylor-Joy wears the usual barely there dress to accentuate the fact that she herself is barely there.

Claire Dane. WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??? This looks like 1950s negligee missed with 1940s Little Bo Peep Sexy Times with a little wedding cake and feathers tossed in because …. Why the hell not?

WORST

Heidi Klum. I keep wondering why a fashion model has zero fashion sense. I mean, even I know if you can see the nude illusion fabric, it’s not very nude illusion is it?  And this hot mess of Space Age Saloon Girl is a d-i-saster. Oh, and Heidi, another note: if you can see the results of the Botox and the fillers and the chemicals peels and you no longer look like yourself, maybe it’s time to stop; see Madonna.

Lisa Marie Presley used to be a beautiful woman but has morphed into a caricature of her parents, with Dad’s droopy eyelids, and face, and Mom’s penchant for the Bad Beehive™.

Liza Koshy. Whoever suggested the light lacy see-though dress and the Frankenstein clodhoppers needs to be removed from fashion forever.

WTF

Salma Hayek. Her husband owns Gucci, Saint Laurent, Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta and Alexander McQueen, so why does she have thew absolute worst taste? This dress looks like something so old-school that the school was demolished and is now a KFC. Seriously, Salma, your husband is a billionaire and you left the house in this cheap knock-off number?

THE MEN

BEST

Jeremy Pope, The Inspection, is an out gay actor who was on fire last night in this leather number. I had to pause the show every time the camera stopped on him, w hich was often, because, damn, he’s a beautiful man.

VERY GOOD

Clockwise

Colmon Domingo, Euphoria, another out gay actor who broke down the walls of what men could wear to awards shows in this tuxedo studded with crystals. He said he wanted to look like a black diamond and I wanted to polish him.

Greg Tarzan Davis, Top Gun: Maverick, worked a dark olive green tuxedo, and I mean he worked it, though I do have one request: since your nickname is Tarzan, next time rock the loincloth for me.

Henry Golding, Persuasion, looks simple and elegant, but notched it up a big by going velvet and double-breasted

Ram Charan, RRR, is an Indian actor who also decided to skip the basic tuxedo and go for something a bit more modern. I do love a man in a long Nehru jacket and now I am on the hunt for on … the jacket, not the man in the jacket, unless …

BASIC

Clockwise

Matt Bomer, American Horror Stories. Y’all I love me a Bomer, and he is classically handsome, but seriously, Matty, the same, classic Tuxedo? I’m not happy.

Danny Ramirez, Tales of the Walking Dead, is interchangeable with Matt., except he brought the shoe game.

Diego Calva, Babylon, used a little color for his tux, but it’s still basic, even including the boutonnière that looks like his girlfriend made it from her undies.

Evan Peters, Dahmer. I could kill him and eat his flesh for boring me with this look.

Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once. I get it that he has been working much, but you got a nomination, man, put some effort into it.

Glen Powell, Tog Gun: Maverick, looks stiff, and not in the way I like my men to be stiff. Yawn.

NO

Clockwise

Andrew Garfield, Under the Banner of Heaven, needed someone to tell him that Pumkin Spice season is over.

Sebastian Stan, Pam and Tommy, is usually scorching hot, but here he looks angry … like his bow-tie fell off in the limo and no one told him.

Justin Hurwitz, Babylon musical score, also missed the end of Pumpkin Spice, but thought he’d eke by wearing what looks like a corduroy tuxedo. Corduroy? I’m about to go Joan Crawford on his ass.

Eddie Redmayne, The Good Nurse, is very pretty … almost too pretty. But this boring chocolate brown suit, with the chocolate brown t-shirt and the ginormous flower made of extra lapel fabric, ruins everything.

MEH WITH A CAVEAT

Billy Porter once again rocked the tuxedo ball gown like he did at the Oscars a few years back and I was going to read him for filth until I learned he was honoring Ryan Murphy, and Murphy asked him to wear that iconic look. Billy said, “Bitch, it’s in a museum,” and so he had this fuchsia number made.

YOU’RE NOT TIMOTHEE CHALAMET

Josh Richards is an, ahem, social media influencer, but I have news for Josh. How do you influence people by trying to look exactly like someone else, someone far more famous? You don’t, dear, you don’t. Try as you might, you’ll never Chalamet.

BAD

Clockwise

Donald Glover, Atlanta, looked like he’d been sitting at home in his jammies and was reminded the Globes were happening and so he threw on a tuxedo jacket. Should’a stayed in bed, Don.

Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin, never ever heard that Baby Blue Tuxedo-ish suits were over??? C’mon man, read a newspaper.

Matty Matheson, chef, is all kinds of wrong from the glasses to the shoes, to the hand tats to the too-tight shirt.

Tyler James Williams, Abbot Elementary, in an ill-fitting … suit? Is it? I mean, maybe it’s the stance but one pants leg seems shorter than the other, and the fabric looks like he got caught in the rain and used the red carpet as a spot to dry off.

WTF MEN’S EDITION

Seth Rogan, The Fablemans, knew that baby blue tuxedos were over so he opted for pink … and a cummerbund. It’s a No all the way around, and if he thinks he was doing this as a lark or a joke, the joke is on him.

What did YOU think?

28 comments:

  1. "This dress looks like something so old-school that the school was demolished and is now a KFC" -- hahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not agreeing with you on the first
    one. It looks like she rolled around
    in a pile of garbage. OTH - all fun
    to read thru!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can kinda see that, but I liked that it looked like a painting on canvas that was fashioned into a dress and that she looked like no one else!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Personally, I could not love Billy Porter's look more. My god, but I do love him and I think he looks too fabulous for words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it better when I rlearned he had it made as a substitute for that Oscar look.

      Delete
  4. Not really into pink, but I liked Seth Rogan's pink. He even got the cummerbund in the right direction, most people don't know there's a right way to wear one, and a wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the pink; Jerrod Carmichael wore pink as the host. But Seth's is giving me kitschy wedding wear and more costume than fashion.

      Delete
  5. aussieguy11:22 AM

    I’d say your fashion sense was spot on. Hard to imagine how thermally egregious ones had the balls to leave home looking like that! Suspect some alcohol (or something…) was involved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Booze played a hand in it, eh?

      Delete
  6. I'm very far from being a fashionista, Bobulah, but I disagree with you on the majority of these. I agree with the dog's mother about that first one. I have a balled-up housedress in my drawer that looks better than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duchess Deedles, you make me laugh.

      Delete
    2. See, the first one looks like a work of art to me, and is so different from the rest that I loved it. The rest of the women, and many of the men, have no style or bravado in what they choose.
      Now, send me a photo of you in the balled up housedress and I'll see what i think!

      Delete
    3. The same argument can be made for that swan atrocity of Bjork's. At least the swan thing didn't look like it was dragged through an oil slick after it was hit by whatever truck nabbed it. My housedress (from South Africa, by the way) will never be seen outside of my home. It's for the best.

      Delete
  7. I would send all of this stuff to the charity shop and hope that someone with a £5 will look better than this shower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now, some of them look nice .....

      Delete
  8. ok, so Billy Porter can do no bad in my book when he checks the patriarchy. Also, that color!
    I agree with your notes on Heidi and Salma. What the everlasting fuck? And Letitia is fab as a clotheshorse but she fell off my lists cause she's a bigot. MJ was STUNNING in that dress/hair and I loved that Ryan Murphy recognized her in his speech.
    May I have a Jeremy Pope, Henry Golding, Greg Davis to go? And for dessert, a Barry Keoghan? Thankyouverymuch.
    And I agree with Dave: I like Seth Rogan in pink.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I juts thought Billy was rebooting that Oscar look, but since I now know why he did it, I like it okay.
      Poor Salma, the husband's a BILLIONAIRE fashion house owner and this is what they give her to wear??
      I will have to read up on Miss Wright's bigotry; I hadn't heard that.
      I may be keeping Jeremy and Tarzan and Henry for a spell, but you can use and abuse Seth and Barry all you want!
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. I love your evaluation of these red-carpet looks. Some of your comments made me laugh. I didn't watch the show, but when I do see an awards show, I prefer the dresses that are sleek and simple. Some of these gorgeous women, I'm talking about you Margot Robbie, need dresses that enhance their beauty instead of detracting from it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Margot Robie but her fashion sense is severely lacking. I like something that doesn't look like we've seen it a hundred times, or something that is timeless.

      Delete
  10. Boy I'm bad. I didn't even know the Golden Globes are on. Whoops. Most of the men usually look good, I mean a suit or a tux is a suit or it talks. But from these pictures I feel very underwhelmed by the women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was weird they were on a Tuesday!!
      I agree, I was more pleased with some of the adventuresome men on the show.

      Delete
  11. I didn't watch, nor did I read about any of the clothing BECAUSE I knew you'd do a much better critique of the red carpet, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have fun with these, and it gets my mind off the GOP for awhile so it's a win win.
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. Wow! So much diversity of taste (or lack thereof) and entertaining outfits. I often wonder WTF people are thinking when they dress, even when I rarely go inside my grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, style is subjective and I wonder why some of these folks subject us to theirs!

      Delete
  13. If Heidi Klum were a contestant on Project Runway, we’d all be saying "auf wiedersehen."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's mostly for the face ....

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......