Monday, March 28, 2022

Oscar Fashions: From the Best to the WTF and Beyond

There’s a lot to dig into about last night’s show, especially about the bitch slap … let me rephrase that … about the bitch who slapped, but first let’s get into what the show is really about: Fashion!

Let’s dish …

BEST

Nicole Kidman. This kinda looks like a futuristic version of a dress Lucille Ball would have worn, and I am living for it.

Zendaya. Yes, it looks like the look Sharon Stone wore many, many years ago, but this is a modern take on the man’s shirt and she added a glitzy sequined skirt.

BEST GOOD VERSUS EVIL

Caitriona Balfe is channeling some Nicki Kidman with the constructed peplum, but this time in all white, while Cynthia Erivo is giving me Evil Queen who makes me wanna join her team.

VERY GOOD

clockwise

Lupita Nyong'o is all that glitters, like an Oscar, and she even has streamers on the dress. It’s like Oscar fireworks.

H.E.R. I love the short skirt under the longer top; it’s giving me mullet, in a good way. H.E.R. really brought some cool factor.

Penelope Cruz. I love the vest and bowtie look to the dress and the full skirt; and you gotta love pockets! 

Regina Hall. Oh, this is sexy and elegant and chic; I love the coffee with cream color, and the flowiness. Yes, ma'am, Miss Regina.

GOOD

clockwise

Olivia Colman. This is giving me 1920s bad girl flapper turned rich society dame.

Tiffany Haddish. I love the blond hair; seems so old school 1920s Cotton Club star. Love the pattern and the fit … not an inch to spare … and the wee train.

Wanda Sykes. I adore her, and I love that she took a classic men’s tuxedos but gave it some flair. Very cool.

Zoë Kravitz. I’m getting Breakfast at Tiffany’s Audrey Hepburn. I’m mean, talk about pretty in pink.

MEH

clockwise

Jessica Chastain. This breaks my heart because Chastain usually brings it, but this is screaming superhero ball gown to me and begs the question, ‘Who the fuck thought a ruffled hem was a good idea?’

Amy Schumer. Yeah, I know, Amy isn’t what you’d call fashionable but could she have gone somewhere besides the Marshall’s As-Is Rack for her dress?

Reba McIntyre. It’s 2022 so she checked her closet for a dress she wore to the Country Music Awards in 1987 and dusted it off and brought it to Hollywood.

Maya Rudolph continuing her decline into Mrs. Roper territory. I mean. C’mon, a caftan, and ostrich feather cuffs? Maya? Really?

Maggie Gyllenhaal. I cannot shake the thought that those gold things hanging from the dress were purchased from the hardware section at Lowes while Maggie was looking for new kitchen cabinet pulls.

Jamie Lee Curtis. I like the dress. It fits Jamie Lee’s age and style, but those damned long sleeves that look like mesh gloves.

ROYALTY

Judi Dench. That’s Dame Judi Dench to you, and I love the simple elegance of the look, though it is giving me a little Missus Obi Wan Kenobi.

Rita Moreno looks fierce and fun and fabulous, supporting the reboot of a film she made sixty years ago. We should all strive to look this good at ninety!

WOMEN IN RED

clockwise

Tracee Ellis Ross always brings it, and last night it looked like the gurl just wanted to have fun!

Kirsten Dunst. This one looked deceiving because at first it just read strapless red dress, and then it reads giant red rose. I like this one a lot, very feminine.

Marlee Matlin. Meh. It’s red and basic, but if you played up the shoulder pads it would have been a Joan Crawford moment.

Ariana DeBose wore a fricking pantsuit and ruled the red carpet. And out and proud woman of color doing exactly what she wants. Brava!

Jennifer Garner wears the same exact look at every awards show. I imagine that the divorce settlement with Ben let her keep the dress in every color.

Rosie Perez. It’s not a bad dress, really, though it seems tired, but it’s the mall hair that takes it all the way down to Forever 21.

WTF

clockwise

Jada Pinkett Smith. This is what a thirsty wife of a man who has yet to win an Oscar wears because she wants to be seen. She doesn’t want to be able to walk, or even sit down comfortably, but she wants to be seen.

Naomi Scott I keep trying to like it, but all I get is “Forgive me Father for I have sinned.”

Kristen Stewart. What is the absolute fuck was she thinking? I get it, she’s the rebel, the outsiders, but take down to any corner on Hollywood Blvd. and you’ll find twenty other girls dressed just like this.

Billie Eilish. This is a tiny girl swathed in an entire fabric store of ugly. WHY????

MEN IN COLOR

clockwise

Jay Ellis. I have a problem with a white tuxedo because the black shoes annoy me but white shoes would piss me off. So, ankles up this is one hot look on one hot man.

David Oyelowo. At first I thought it was one of those designs where you try to find the hidden word and believe me I searched every inch of the photo and didn’t find it. I may start over ...

Simu Liu. No pastel colors for this one; he took the Bette Davis route from Jezebel and wore red to the party and rocked it.

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Again with the white, but this time the pants don’t fit so well in the calf area. Perhaps a second go round at the tailors?

Sebastián Yatra. I thought pink? ‘Oh honey no.’ And I looked at it longer and I thought, ‘Oh honey yes.’

Kodi Smit-McPhee looks like a pretty blue boy, and gets major props for shaking things up, but I need a picture of him side-by-side with Sebastián Yatra, so I made one.

MEN 

clockwise

Andrew Garfield. Cute, nice suit, love the accent. But man oh man, could he mix it up every so often?

Bradley Cooper. Same boring tux, but this time he mixed it up by not coming his hair.

Josh Brolin. It’s rare to see him smile … even offscreen … so he’s given me hot villain vibes.

Kenneth Branagh. I can’t help but think he needs to show me to my seat.

Jason Momoa. I’d like to climb his front façade and then shimmy down that braid to the backside.

Shaun White. If you’re gonna wear a standard tuxedo, do like Shaun and get one that fits like a glove. Hot.

Timothée Chalamet. Yes, he had no shirt on, or maybe I ripped it off in the limo. Sue me.

Jamie Dornan. Take a look Bradley, this is how it’s done. Suit fits, hair is combed; it’s not rocket science.

THE WORST

Wesley Snipes. Look, I get it, he’s had money troubles a few years back, but he couldn’t afford a full suit?

Diane Warren … Okay, we know … she wears pants all the time. But could the color be uglier and could the fit be more awful?

And there you have it … who was your Best and Worst and who may you wonder,  What were they thinking?

13 comments:

  1. I saw video of Will Smith hitting Chris Rock. Kind of sidelined the fashion views. However, I had seen a close-up of Wesley Snipes and though “oh dear.” Full view, “oh shit.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penelope Cruz was the best dressed woman and the guy in the purple shorts suit - who does he think he is? An Australian out in the boonies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Fashion Report!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched about 20 minutes honey in total here and there.

    My two best dressed were Marlee Matlin, red is that woman color! And Uma Thurman who looked lovely in that classic black and white. Close second was Nicole Kidman and Penelope Cruz...otherwise the woman for me were...meh. Must have been the year of the titty. Amy Schumer. Did she do anything with her hair since waking that morning? She looked like a slob the whole night.

    But Simu Lui, Shawn Menedez, Shawn White and Sebastian Yatra...gave me the vapors. I wanted to slowly peel Sebastian out of the pink tux!!!!!!!

    Wanda could have carried that whole show as host.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chalamet for the win. I didn't pay much attention to other fashions. I was there for the comedy team of Wanda and Company. As for the slap seen around the world, with Will and Jada putting their personal business on blast the way they have been, and the way they've been skewered because of it, why assault Chris for an innocuous joke. I think Will was riled up because it was the bottom of the ninth, no awards had been given out on his movie, he was upset thinking he'd go home empty handed and was looking for some place to go with his anger. But now I know why I've instinctively never liked WS. I'm hoping that though Chris has declined to prosecute, the DA charges him anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can have them all, but Jason Mamoa is MINE! I haven’t watched for several years but glad I tuned in this year. It did seem to be the year of the boob for some women. Someone made a fortune selling boob glue. I’m all for showing your best assets but seemed daring but not attractive. Amy Schumer was a useless appendage. The bitch slap was pitiful. Do men slap each other when they’re angry? And no disrespect to her and her condition, but Jada could’ve looked stunning with a matching turban. Her dress was pure drama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nobody's attire (male or female) made me go "wow"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the men shined more than the women from what I saw. I do agree with Maddie, I think Marlee Matlin was one of the best. She just popped in that red. I didn't get many of them though. Nice to see yet again, that Jenny Beavan won again. Her designs in Cruella were Bravo worthy.

    And every picture I saw of Maya Rudloph she looked just miserable to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Penelope Cruz and Simu Liu versus Billie Eilish and Wesley Snipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Schumer's gown... LOL... she needs to fire whoever put her in that. It is all kinds of wrong. What a terrible, terrible design. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally missed the Red Carpet, so thank you for the high/low points, sweetpea! xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are on FIRE!
    And I totes agree with your BEST. Zendaya and Nicole killed it. Zendaya in Valentino? Yes, please. And I will have to disagree with Jada. That green number was cool. Very Victorian Gaultier. Love!
    And The Menz? I would have let Simu Liu and Seb Yatra double date me. And by date I mean youknowwhat. Only Yatra could have pulled that pink number by Moschino (did you notice the SHOES??)
    And Momoa defies anything not related to lust.
    As for Snipes? Really? He's handed a Givenchy and he does THAT? He should be punished somehow.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. SCREAMING LOOOOOOOVE!!!!!! your commentary.
    I just covered the slap heard round the world.
    Fashion portion still due.

    Great job Bob!

    XOXOXOXOX
    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......