Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: Hollywood Boulevard Spanish Home

Last week we featured a hundred-plus year old house that had been modernized a bit, and updated with paint choices, and a lot of you weren’t happy about that, so this week we have a one-of-a-kind 1926 turn-key 2600 square foot Spanish-style home that lives right on Hollywood Blvd but is walled and gated for privacy. And, while this one has also been updated, it really has just been restored and updated.

Original architectural features like stained glassed windows, handmade, hand-painted Spanish tiles, archways, and original hardwood floors were saved. As were the three fireplaces and spacious living areas, library family room, three bedrooms, two-and-a-half bathrooms, and the exterior courtyard, complete with ultra-high hedges for privacy and a fountain.

In the double-height great room, exposed wooden beams stretch across the vaulted ceilings; the great room splits off to both a smaller seating lounge and the main dining area. The kitchen maintains some original charm, but also features state-of-the-art appliances and an adjacent breakfast den; a laundry room and half bath are also located off the kitchen area. A landscaped courtyard, enclosed by tall hedges, allows for easy indoor/outdoor living, while a nearby patio presents an additional area to entertain.

Right in Hollywood, but a world, and a century, away.

17 comments:

  1. Very nice, except for that one bathroom with the black and red tile... that would have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dave R. Oh, and toss out the cactus, cactuses, cacti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would definitely do nicely, although as usual I’d make different furnishings choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's a stunner. Not the location so much. Busy noisy street, 24/7, but close to EVERYTHING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning.
    I would not change anything. Love the Moorish details in that bathroom and the patio. True to style. The garden has low-water plants which is a smart, ecological move, especially in CA.
    And those ceilings! I am not bothered at all by all the white walls, either. Bet the upkeep'd cost a pretty penny.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tile in the bathroom!
    eek!
    Glad they were able to historically
    renovate.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous, all those colorful tiles with the white walls and beautiful wooden floors, those ceilings indeed and the stairs! I'd throw another rug in the sitting and dining area but that would be it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice, but the Craftsman is still more my style. I like tile, but some of that is a little much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that terrace is to die for. I love Spanish/Mexican/Moorish - so pretty. And I'm wondering if that large painting is of Frida Kahlo! I guess I'll never know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Dave
    That tile fits the house and the era and is fabulous!

    @Deedles
    The tile stays, but I may like a few cacti removed.

    @Mitchell
    And you'd be allowed!

    @Linda
    Yeah, that might not be the best street, even though it's kinda central.

    @Six
    You and me, same page!
    xoxo

    @TDM
    AGAIN THE TILES STAYS!!!!!!!
    xoxo
    😀

    @James and Brigitta
    I agree 100%!

    @Sadie
    I like almost any house that has character.

    @Treaders
    Yes, the outdoor space is beautiful.
    And I don't think that's Frida,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Homely but beautiful. It needs to be because it was sold for $2,700,000 just last year. It would make a great refuge for a large Ukrainian family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this house. Rich in textures. And I adore that dark wood vaulted ceiling!!!!!!!!!! I also a sucker for nice pretty tile work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I watch Million Dollar Listings, especially West Coast version, these are the timeless and rare Treasures they always wanna raze or Sell to someone who will molest them. Good to see a Survivor, plenty of boring Modern versions that seem to infatuate the masses.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would tone down the white BUT I love it---I would do a tweak here and there but it is right up my alley...I have a friend who lives in LA-64th Street/La Brea...His side of the street is LA and the other side is Englewood...This reminds me of his...An old charmer and the layout is something you don't see much these days

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it. Some of the furnishings need to be placed on the curb (the dining room is a total disaster) and there are a few minor visual issues that need attending to (are those... wires?), but the house is stunning. A case where a little less (furniture) would provide much more (comfort, breathing space - it's too claustrophobic as is.) What a neat little place. How many million is that worth?

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG a real Kitchen, with storage, and function, I am in love. I'd change some furniture and add some color in the art. (A splash of red.).

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......