Wednesday, March 02, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: Es Pou

This is Es Pou, a single-family home in the island of Formentera, Spain. “Es Pou de Can Marianet Barber” is a historical place name in the interior of Formentera.

It sits on a rural plot in the midst of island farms, surrounded by ancient dry stacked stone walls. The home is oriented to the south, protected from the setting sun by a mass of vegetation, saving the most fertile soil for continued use as farmland.

The home itself is quite small, divided into three volumes; from south to north, the first volume houses a porch that offers solar protection, the second contains the more public program, and the third holds two bedrooms and a bath. Between the volumes are transverse strips that offer ventilation and lighting, as well as providing them with services and connections. A cistern out front makes the home  self-sufficient in terms of water supply.

The light, color, and material from the outside of the home is carried to  the interior, thanks to ceramics and wood. On colder days, the warmth of the earth is transferred to the ceiling and floors through Mallorcan-style ceramic ceiling vaults and pressed terracotta tiles. Those same tiles are used as façade cladding, roof finish, and even the headboard of the master bedroom.

The freshness associated with the color of the vegetation can be found on walls covered with vitrified ceramic tiles of a diluted green color; light filters inwards through its passage through ceramic lattices, generating, in turn, a constant changing of light and shadow.

It’s a simple home, on a simple plot of land, but it just screams peaceful. If only I could keep a plant alive, I could happily farm there.

As always click to emBIGGERate ...

12 comments:

  1. Pretty area but can't
    imagine going from building
    to building.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I could live there..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Might be good for an Air BnB getaway but I'm not sure I can imagine living there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, this is irrelevant to your lovely post.
    But just to let you know, I needed a widget supporting Ukraine and I went directly to your piece. I knew you would have something wonderful so of course I stole it!
    I stand with Ukraine, too. Thank you, my fearless friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so simple, so lovely and it sits perfectly in its landscape. Thanks for sharing this Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @TDM
    The buildings are connected via hallways, but there is space between each one.
    xoxo

    @Voenix
    I actually could, too!

    @Steve
    I’m kind of surprised that I could live there. Oh, I’d change some furnishings around, but I love the simplicity of the spaces.

    @Sheila
    Glad you found it and could use it! I love the world standing with Ukraine!

    @Yorkshire
    I think it is the simplicity that gets me. I love that aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing in there that even begins to look comfy ... 😳

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it.
    Love the light, love the idea of the separate building blocks and love the landscape. Very Scandi.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the concept of the separate buildings, but it's not very comfy looking and I wish the spaces between buildings were just a bit wider so you could do something with them, as well... like a container garden... patio... very nice, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool, interesting interiors. Might be fun for a weekend rental, but I wouldn’t be happy spending any more time than that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the outside. Inside - needs comfort. Oh and city water,

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......