Wednesday, March 09, 2022

Architecture Wednesday: 1959 ZigZag House

I’m in the mood for the Sunshine State, especially a midcentury modern home in the Sunshine State. And here I find a prime example of midcentury living in a home designed by famed architect Ralph Twitchell’s firm in 1959.

Located in Sarasota, Florida the Zigzag House had been left in disrepair for years, but in 2019, Seibert Architects completed a thorough renovation and restoration of the home. Now, newly polished concrete flooring, full-height windows, and white-painted walls complement the minimalist design elements—pocket doors, recessed lighting, and hidden closets—to emphasize the modern aesthetic of the home. One major change that resulted in the hallway ceilings being dropped about twelve inches, was the addition of much needed air conditioning, a must during Sarasota summers.

Under previous owners, the 3,419-square-foot home had been reorganized as an open-air pavilion, with windows, and exterior and interior doors removed. A bulky outdoor heater was inside the home, while the original carport was closed in with sliding glass doors.

Now redesigned, refurbished and renovated, the home features a single-story layout with four bedrooms, four bathrooms, a large, open living-dining area, a media den, office, and a central, fully covered lanai situated near a saltwater pool and Zen garden. 

The east and west bedroom wings extend from either side of the main living space for privacy. Each bedroom has an en suite bathroom, as well as floor-to-ceiling sliders that offer direct access to the pool and garden. 

It has been returned to, and beyond, its former glory, and can be your for just $3,000,000. A bargain for a bit of history brought back to life.

As always, click to emBIGGERate …

Dwell

14 comments:

  1. I can appreciate the design and architectural elements...but it isn't my personally. Looks like it should be the set of the next Big Brother season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen Big Brother, but I have to agree with Mads. It has a dormitory feel to it, then again, I've never seen an actual dormitory either. I do like that pool area though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. I'm glad to hear this house has been revitalized. I used to live in Sarasota and there are many stunning mid-century houses there from the "Sarasota School of Architecture," which included Twitchell, Paul Rudolph, Gene Leedy and others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A part of me loves this. Another part of me feels like it’s one of those reality show homes where all the pretty, vacuous people, fight, and have sex. But great that’s it’s been beautifully revitalized. And then, it’s in Florida. I’m just not having ANY Florida vibes lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ak! Florida!
    Glad they renovated it.
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That floor would be great for roller skating on! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice corporate retreat. Those conference rooms look to be top notch. And... room for dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All y’all so cynical about this house …. That said …

    @Maddie
    Now I cannot unsee the Big brother house!

    @Deedles
    I only wish my college dorms looked like this.

    @Steve
    I agree; I love when they save these homes because they do preserve history.

    @Mitchell
    I agree about Don’tSayGayVille, and as I told Maddie, now all I see is the Big Brother house, but I still love the openness and the clean lines of this place.

    @TDM
    Yeah, Florida isn’t the best place to live now.

    @Marcia
    Now it’s got another use!!! =)

    @upton
    Man, y’all co cynical … =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it.
    Very tropical, too. I've seen this mid century style in several places in FLorida. It's airy and very open. Love the punches of color in the decor.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would be a yes for me - just not in florridumb!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It needs some furniture, and you have heard my comments on modern incomplete kitchen designs before, I like it, I would want to change it a little, but not much. If your million followers all move to Florida and follow your lead to vote, we could make the state worth living in again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd turn it into a B&B because it has the feel of a retreat to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful restoration job. It is all about the details. Though its price tag is $3m, the property does not appear ostentatious or gaudy in any way. Very tasteful.

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......