Friday, September 06, 2024

I Didn't Say It ...

Pete Buttigieg, Transportation Secretary, explaining why he regularly appears on Fox News Entertainment:

“The reason I do it is because I think it’s important … to meet people where they are, and recognize that I can’t be mad at somebody for not embracing our message if they’ve literally never heard it. The more one-sided the news network is, the less likely [its viewers] will have heard [Democratic messages], unless I literally go there and share it. And I think it’s especially true in this election, because I know a lot of folks who watch Fox News and count on Fox News [and] I want [Fox News viewers] to at least have heard that, maybe more often than they would have [otherwise]. I know veterans who watch Fox News. I want to ask them to consider the difference between a ticket, led by somebody who faked a disability, getting a doctor’s note, taking advantage of him being a teenage multimillionaire so that he wouldn’t have to go to Vietnam … compared to, a ticket led by the administration that delivered the PACT Act that made sure that veterans who I served with in Iraq and Afghanistan [and were exposed] to burn pits, get the cancer treatment that they need. I always visualize people who I know who I disagree with and who are just maybe tuning in. I don’t think they’re going to see me on Fox for five minutes and see the light and suddenly become liberal Democrats. But I know that we’re having a healthier conversation if they’ve at least heard what somebody like me has to say. Well, you know, each of us has different kind of tactical decisions about where we go and how we do it, but I’m proud to speak on Fox News and other conservative outlets on behalf of this campaign because I believe in this campaign, and I think it’s especially important in places where certain arguments—not even arguments, just certain facts—might not otherwise be aired. I imagine most viewers of Fox News are sincerely unaware that immigrants are no more likely to commit a crime than somebody who was born here, because that’s just not a fact that gets mentioned on their airways very often. So to the extent they’re willing to invite me on there, I think it’s important for me to take the opportunity to share it.”

Again, simple common sense; Pete also does not denigrate the Fox viewers, even if they vehemently disagree because there may be hope that someone listening might change their mind about the Democrats and the Republicans.

photo

Sigourney Weaver, actor, accepting the Golden Lion Lifetime Achievement Award at the Venice Film Festival, after a reporter asked about how the character of Ripley contributed to the empowerment of women, including Kamala Harris:

"I love that question because we're all so excited about Kamala and to think for one moment that my work would have anything to do with her rise makes me very happy, actually, because it’s true. I have so many women who come and thank me. It's been difficult since 2016 and we’re all very grateful about her. What I appreciated about what [Alien writers] Walter Hill and David Giler wrote and how [director Ridley Scott] put it together was that my character was a person, not a woman, and they're two of the very few writers who can write a script where it's just a person. If you don't have to see her being girly or womanly or any of these other ideas, which are all great [because] women can be everything, but I got to play really what I realize now [was] the everyperson part. She's all of us. She is what you become when you have to find the ingenuity and don't even have time to be brave or anything else and I think of the women all over the world who are on the front lines of climate change and all these crises: It's the women who are taking care of their families, of their children, who are often doing the work. They're on the front lines. I take my inspiration from what I see as an actual woman. We were not getting our due and to me women were always so capable. We are everything so the idea the film world was using the pie and we were like this [raising and widening her arms], Walter and David loved strong women, felt women were strong. That's the funny thing. I'm always asked why I play strong women and I always think, 'What a weird question' because I just play women. Women are strong and they don't give up. You want to know why? We can't. We have to do it."

I do know that it was the first times we saw a strong, determined woman leading the way in a science fiction film and becoming the hero and the savior.

photo

Tom Cotton, GOP senator, on The Felon’s proposal to have the government or insurance companies cover IVF treatments.

“Well, all Republicans, to my knowledge, support IFV in the Congress. And there’s no state that prohibits or regulates IVF in a way that makes it unaccessible [sic]. It is expensive for many couples, I understand that. So it’s something I’m open to that most Republicans would be open to. I think we’d have to evaluate the fiscal impact, whether the taxpayer can afford to pay for this, what impact it would have on premiums. But in principle, supporting couples who are trying to use IVF or other fertility treatments – I don’t think is something that’s controversial at all.”

Oh Tom, you f**king liar.

In June 2024, Tom Cotton and 46 fellow Senate Republicans voted against expanding access to IVF. Today, Cotton calls that bill “ridiculous messaging.”

He’s a typical lying ReTHUGlican.

photo

Elise Stefanik, GOP Representative from New York, lying about The Felon’s campaign stop at Arlington Cemetery:

“Look at this past week … this was the three-year anniversary of those 13 service members in Afghanistan, now 13 Gold Star families. And you have Kamala Harris’s campaign politicizing this, not mentioning their names, not taking accountability for that catastrophic decision. She was the last person in the room advising Joe Biden and yet they’re criticizing [The Felon]’s invitation from those families at Arlington. Kamala Harris is a disgrace and we need to make sure she never becomes commander in chief.”

What Elise—who, let’s face it, is the GOP lapdog for the men—isn’t telling you is that the timeline for the withdrawal from Afghanistan was set in place by The Felon, who then used those deaths as a reason to stand on the graves of dead soldiers as a five-time draft dodger and smile while giving us all the thumbs up.

Also, ask Elise and any other Republican including The Felon where they were on the first anniversary of these soldier’s deaths … or the second anniversary. And you’ll realize they showed up this year because it’s an election year and they want to campaign on the dead bodies of soldiers.

photo

Kamala  Harris, Democrat for President, on The Felon’s tasteless display at Arlington:

“As Vice President, I have had the privilege of visiting Arlington National Cemetery several times. It is a solemn place; a place where we come together to honor American heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice in service of this nation. It is not a place for politics. And yet, as was reported this week, [The Felon]’s team chose to film a video there, resulting in an altercation with cemetery staff. Let me be clear: the former president disrespected sacred ground, all for the sake of a political stunt. This is nothing new from [him]. This is a man who has called our fallen service members ‘suckers’ and ‘losers’ and disparaged Medal of Honor recipients. A man who, during a previous visit to the cemetery, reportedly said of fallen service members, ‘I don’t get it. What was in it for them?’ This is a man who is unable to comprehend anything other than service to himself. If there is one thing on which we as Americans can all agree, it is that our veterans, military families, and service members should be honored, never disparaged, and treated with nothing less than our highest respect and gratitude. And it is my belief that someone who cannot meet this simple, sacred duty should never again stand behind the seal of the President of the United States of America. I will always honor the service and sacrifice of all of America’s fallen heroes, who made the ultimate sacrifice on behalf of our beloved nation and our cherished freedoms. I mourn them and salute them. And I will never politicize them.”

And that’s how a President responds.

photo

38 comments:

  1. I hope that Pete Buttigieg will be president some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really believe he will be.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous8:23 PM

      As my 89 yo father says Pete Buttigieg is another JFK in the making, even more so.
      We can get back our Camelot that was horribly taken from us in 1963, and have America fulfill its full promise :) -Rj

      Delete
  2. Republicans are killing themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they're too dumb to notice.

      Delete
  3. I admire Pete's restraint.
    Faux News is such a cesspool of fuckery that it requires a very special person to sit there and answer their asinine questions.

    The whole Arlington cemetery debacle didn't favor The Felon. It was a photo op gone wrong. How Veterans can vote for him is beyond me.

    Love Kamala.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete has no problem speaking to those who disagree and maybe because he doesn't, they'll listen?
      The GOP is riding the He Can Do No Wrong train.
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. As a Vietnam-era vet, I despise The Felon. Not only for the way he treats military members or veterans. He's morally bankrupt and there isn't a sigle empathetic cell in that addled brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First off, thank you for your service.
      Secondly, you're spot on!

      Delete
  5. I admire and respect Pete Buttigieg so much for going on Fox and exposing their viewers to the other side of things. I foresee a bright future for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This side of the pond people can get 3 rounds of IVF for free. it hasn't bankrupted the country; it was an idiotic far right Donald Duck supporting Prime Minister who did her best to do that. If free IVF didn't bankrupt us, why should it bankrupt America?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that. A society needs to have a good birthrate to offset those who die as well as a healthy, viable immigration policy.

      "The general fertility rate in the United States decreased by 3% from 2022, reaching a historic low. This marks the second consecutive year of decline, following a brief 1% increase from 2020 to 2021. From 2014 to 2020, the rate consistently decreased by 2% annually." https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/nchs_press_releases/2024/20240525.htm

      The reason why we don't have that option in the US is that corporations and rich folks are greedy bastards. How dare someone have more than them. As they throw roadblocks in others' way.

      We can do better.

      Delete
    2. The Medical Complex will do NOTHING for free. They prefer coins more than anything.

      Delete
  7. As usual...Pete makes sense and uses his platform to discuss and bring things to light... To both sides. People will respect him more and are more likely to listen if they are not attacked. But he will also put them in place if need be.

    I've long adored Sigourney Weaver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on both points; of course!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous11:43 AM

    the dog's mother
    (Pete Buttigieg)
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great collection of topical quotations Bob. Pete Buttigieg makes some very intelligent points about appearing on "Fox News". Sigourney Weaver shares my birthday but I hasten to add that she is four years older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete is common sense personified.
      Sigourney is a gem at any age.

      Delete
  10. Pete Buttigieg is a true great. Sigourney Weaver is an exceptional actor and an inspiration. Tom Cottonmouth and Elise Stefathick should shut up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strong women indeed, Sigourny and Kamal both. Pete speaks so well, with such intelligence and empathy. As for the other two....blech!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a mixed bag, though more on the intelligent side.

      Delete
  12. I saw that Sigourney interview; she got a bit teary eyed. I wonder if Cotton and Stefanik are foresighted enough to see their end is coming?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt Cotton and Stefanik have any foresight since they are in the party that's looking backwards.

      Delete
  13. Can I please VOTE, tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am probably going to early vote this year.

      Delete
  14. Cleora Borealis4:58 PM

    In the faces of Cotton and Stefanik, I would like to spit the real Americanism of Liz Cheney, who told us yesterday she is voting for Kamala Harris...for the good of the country! She is also supporting Colin Allred in Texas because Ted Cruz is not a serious leader. Liz Cheney has also announced that her father, Dick, will be voting for Harris/Walz! A lot of people say they are gobsmacked by that, but I'm not. I remember Jan. 6, 2022, the first anniversary of the insurrection, and the honoring of law enforcement officers who performed so well. THE ONLY 2 ELECTED REPUBLICANS WHO SHOWED UP on the House floor that day were Liz and Dick Cheney!! That is caring about country over party!! 🇺🇸🇺🇸✊✊👏👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I disagree with Cheney on almost everything except her stance on country over party; she, sadly, is one of those rare Republicans.

      Delete
  15. Anonymous8:11 PM

    The Arlington debacle was just a repeat of the 2018 debacle at the solemn ceremonies held in France for the commemoration of the end of Ww1.
    Trump was too upset to have to attend because of a rain drizzle, and yet Angela Merkel who represented Germany, not easy given Ww1’s history, was in attendance and showed more RESPECT for the fallen of Ww1 than Trump, as did the other European leaders.
    Trump disgraces all war veterans with his cruel selfishness, he spits in their faces but in a different way, through his sickening actions and words towards them. Trump should NEVER be allowed to step foot in Arlington Cemetery again as he is completely unworthy to be in the presence of OUR war dead.
    -Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't understand service and commitment and loyalty.

      Delete
  16. I like Pete speaking on Fox just in case someone hears something new and different and learns things can be changed. Some real forward thinking there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How can you expect to hear you if you don't speak to them? Pete is quite smart on that front.

      Delete
  17. Pete Buttigieg is so right and that response is so wise. I love the fact that he's trying to bridge the gap.

    And Sigourney! HERO!

    Elise Stefanik, on the other hand, has a brain worm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Common sense, thy name is Pete.
      Sigourney and Elise ... love one, am scared for the other.

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......