Thursday, September 05, 2024

Bobservations

Y’all know I’m childish, right? I mean, you may say child-like, but it’s really childish.

Case in point: after taking a long hike along the river last weekend, as we were driving home I was tormenting Carlos as a childish person does, and he … well, I posted this on my phone to remind me:

“On Saturday August 31, 2024, and I am going to spot him a half hour starting at 11AM, Carlos Divid Harris said he was not going to speak to me for twenty-four hours. I laughed and said he wouldn’t last twenty-four seconds. He said he would not speak again until 11AM on September 1, 2024. We’ll see how that goes; I am writing this down so that when he fails, and he will, I will have proof.”

Carlos began speaking at 11:35 AM which means, with the half-hour I spotted him, he stopped speaking for about 9 minutes. And to be fair, that was longer than the twenty-four seconds I thought he’d last.

This Tuxedo Memory is from May 2019 and is entitled: Another Scorcher In Smallville ... Tuxedo Has The Right Idea

That cat always picked the most interesting positions in which to nap … he was just a chalk outline away from playing the role of roadkill on some animal show!

Well, roadkill or some totally adorable boy!

Here’s proof that just because you’re a relatively slender model, it doesn’t mean you can have the most delightful cakes.

Melanie has unveiled the cover for her upcoming memoir and despite its minimalist design, some critics claim it's a blatant act of plagiarism.

What? Melanie? Plagiarize? Like Michelle Obama’s DNC speech years back?

Melanie's book cover is an all-black with simple white text reading 'MELANIA' in all caps … and looks suspiciously like the iconic Chanel Catwalk book.

I haven’t read it, and won’t read it, but I’m told it’s the story of Melanie’s life on Chicago’s South Side and working hard to attend both Harvard and Princeton before marrying the love of her life and giving birth to Sasha and Malia.

Just sayin’.

In Camden, as it is in many small towns across the state, we have an opera house. Of course, it fell into disuse many years ago and when we moved here only the ground floor was being used as a secondhand store. Sad, really, for such a beautiful building. And for years there was talk about recreating the opera house interior but then a couple of years ago the talk turned toward making  the opera house a boutique hotel, and that’s apparently going to happen.

That photo up there is the opera house and its clock tower that chimes on the hour and the quarter- and half-hours. And down there are the renderings of what the hotel will be: four floors and 50 rooms, with a restaurant in the lobby and called The Haigler Hotel, so named for a noble Catawba Chief who befriended Camden’s pioneers. The clock tower, though not seen in the renderings will remain and still chime the hours each day.

Our little town is growing but it’s keeping its sense of history, and I am here for that!

You’ve heard of Weekend at Bernie’s but this true story is more Weekend at Wells Fargo.

There’s an investigation underway in Tempe, Arizona after a Wells Fargo employee—and I won’t post her name so as not to embarrass her family—died while on the job and no one noticed.

A timeline released by police suggests her body was there for four days before being discovered.

How does that happen?

The Venice Film Festival has been going on for a couple of weeks and here are some style icons, clockwise in no particular order … Angelina Jolie, Cate Blanchett, Eva Green and Nicole Kidman. Stunning, but there’s always room for a thirst-seeker and this year’s was Eva Herzigova wearing … God Only Knows™.

Last week I mentioned that one school district in Oklahoma was refusing to follow the order of State Superintendent Ryan Walters and his demand for Bible Study in all public schools.

Now, out of about 540 public districts and charter schools in the state, 54 superintendents responded to the survey and, when asked if their district was requiring educators to teach on or from the Bible, 46 said ‘No’ and just two said ‘Yes;’ others were unclear on the guidelines.

Taking a stand … even in Oklahoma.

This is Stefano Tomadini—sounds like a Delicious pasta dish—an Italian model. But this isn’t about food or models, it’s about a simple question: Would You Hit It?

42 comments:

  1. aussieguy8:16 AM

    Who'd've thought there were that many spines in Oklahoma? I mean, I swear on a stack of bibles! Stefano Tomadini might require closer inspection...and the last tweet? I'd pick a couch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised by Oklahoma; maybe the tide is turning.,

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:07 AM

    the dog's mother
    (Carlos) (Tuxedo always)
    My Goodness! That last fashion one!!
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no lack of bad taste, right?
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. So, Carlos won. (Sort of.)
    I’ll pass on Stefano because I’m still thinking about the relatively slender model and his delightful cakes. And, yeah, Herzigova — god only knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He won kind of ... I'm gonna give it to him because it made me laugh!

      Delete
  4. Be kind to Carlos, he lives with you all the time. Interesting hotel concept, we like those smaller boutique hotels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am kind, we just have fun together, too!
      I'm glad they're saving the old opera house but making something new of it!

      Delete
  5. Think of me a your kindly schoolteacher as I whisper in your ear, "chimes on the house". Surely you meant "hours" Robert?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did; damn that spell check!

      Delete
  6. Tony Posnanki for the winning burn of the century and workers dying at their desk, not being noticed, is turning into a thing as I recall years ago hearing of it also happening to a man who'd had a heart attack and no one noticed for days. P.S. Stop torturing our Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't torture him; I play with him like a cat with a toy!

      Delete
  7. Cleora Borealis9:53 AM

    😻 Ahh! Tuxedo and a spot of sunshine...why wouldn't he wanna soak that up through every part of himself?
    🤔 I gotta wonder...does Carlos have note in his phone: "we're gonna have a nice hike by the river. Let's see how long Bob can go without being childish." 🤭 Love means never having to say "what the heck is your problem?" 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He loved lying flat on his back in the sun; it was his "thing."
      I wonder if Carlos has a Bob Is Childish Clock that goes off every minute of every hour!

      Delete
  8. I didn't know that Melanoma was able to read, let alone write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you get Melonia and Michele mixed up. Mrs. Obama has 2 daughters and grew up on thee south side of Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Melanie once plagiarized a speech from Michelle Obama so I just assumed she'd plagiarized Michelle's life story, too!

      Delete
  10. Babes, I've got news for you: Carlos is... me.
    And I love the idea of that hotel in the Opera house. Something like that would make me want to visit your neck of the woods.
    And I would eat Stefano's pasta ANY TIME.

    Oh, Melanie and the wife of the couch fucker? Trash.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you and I would get along famously, and hilariously!
      I was happy to hear that the opera house will be put to good use instead of sitting empty!
      Yes, to Stefano, and a hard pass to Melanie and Usha.
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. I'd be hard pressed to not speak to someone for 24 hours either.
    No interest in the hooker's book...and I laughed at your description of the story. Plagarism is her wheelhouse.
    The opera house turned hotel will be incredible. So happy to hear that history will be preserved.
    Apparently, that poor woman was in her office - it would have been worse in a cube farm, but still no one checked to see if she wanted to go for coffee/lunch. She must have kept to herself a lot, and her direct boss must have been an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could go a day without speaking, though I am stubborn enough to give it a good try!
      I agree about the opera house/hotel; I like some progress mixed in with my history!

      Delete
  12. Anonymous11:34 AM

    Usha should be gratified that a (SUCCESSFUL) woman of Indian descent is candidate for presidency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usha is a Republican; anti-women and doing the bidding of her husband.

      Delete
  13. Tony absolutely destroyed Usha. No pity indeed. If you put a comment out there on a public forum then expect some consequences especially if it is wrong. The Wells Fargo story is wild. I can't wait to hear some of the missing details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great comeback to Usha!
      That Wells Fargo s tory is freaky. I bank at Wells Fargo so I'll be looking at every desk when I go in from now one!

      Delete
  14. Anonymous2:47 PM

    Tuxedo, so sweet ! :)
    Melania, Usha Vance and Ryan Walters, so sick. :(
    -Rj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tuxedo was a wonder, indeed.
      And that trifecta is indeed sick.

      Delete
  15. *Carlos & Bob--Camden Home Reality Show--- I can see it. Let's pitch it.

    *I love it when locals update, and revitalize their cities but keep their history. Not everything is a complete teardown.

    *I don't know what the hell Nicole is wearing.

    *Usha is an intelligent woman who has drunk the Kool-Aid. See what a thrust for money and power will do to you.

    *It is sad that a person can be missing for four days and not one soul has rung the bell to inquire of her whereabouts. Check on your neighbors. Especially the older ones that live alone.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stefano looks a little promising in pink.
    The opera house should make a very nice boutique hotel. I very much like old buildings being used for housing.
    I think our record for no speakies was just over two weeks (insert sad violin music) and now it is permanent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, too, like the idea of using the opera house for something else.
      Your no speak story gave me the sads also, but you're getting through this, or beyond it, as time goes by; and while it doesn't get better, it does get easier.

      Delete
  17. Id love to be a fly on the wall of your house one weekend and watch and listen to you and Carlos read and joke with each other. And Tuxedo....it's why I always enjoyed him...his odd and most uncomfortable poses ever.


    Now, if I could have two slices of cakes, that would be lovely dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun time in our house.
      Tuxedo and his poses; I never got tired of them.
      Mmmmmm cakes.

      Delete
  18. I'm a big fan of adaptive reuse, so the Opera House conversion to a boutique hotel is aces in my book! I love your photos of Tuxedo, sweetpea! What a delight he must have been. as to Mel? I can't even bring myself to type her name out, much less read "her book!"
    Oh, in answer to your query re: Stefano, my answer would be "Hell yeah, if he'd let me!" xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a fan of saving those old spaces and using them in a different way; and this hotel will be right downtown and the only hotel in our downtown, though we have many B&B's here, too.
      Tuxedo was a treat that keeps on giving me smiles and smiles.
      I do believe Stefano would let you!
      xoxo

      Delete
  19. Four days and no one noticed? Perhaps she was a slow worker who often napped on the job and everyone thought she was just sleeping?
    I've heard of people living alone and not being found for weeks after they've died, and wonder too why no one has reported a weird smell from their apartment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just strange that no one thought of her in four days; sad.

      Delete
  20. Anonymous3:37 AM

    The slender model with the sweet cakes, who wouldn’t mind having a piece of his sweet cakes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The hotel plans look terrific. So glad they could find a new use for a noble old building.

    I read about that Wells Fargo case. VERY strange. I've heard her office was tucked away in a remote part of the building, but still, you'd think the cleaning people would have found her!

    I can't think of a book I would less like to read than Melania's autobiography. And Trumpers don't read, so I doubt it's gonna be a big seller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camden has a good plan for maintaining our small town feel but still moving forward. One of my favorite moves by our city council was to deny Starbucks a spot downtown; they are relegated to just beyond the city limits.

      You're spot on about Melanie's book! Though I imagine the GOP will use campaign funds to buy copies and push its sales.

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......