Thursday, April 11, 2024

Bobservations

Sunday was laundry day at Casa Bob y Carlos and I am the laundress, so I asked Carlos to put what he wanted washed into the hamper or else, you know, no wash.

I walked into the closet and he is holding up a shirt to wash; he reaches inside that shirt and pulls out another shirt; he reaches inside that shirt and pulls out another shirt; he reaches inside that shirt and pulls out another shirt; this happened until all seven shirts were separated and put in the hamper.

He wears Russian nesting Doll Shirts for crying out loud!

This Tuxedo Memory is from September 2015 and is entitled:

“It's My Blog And I'll Tuxedo If I Want To .....

Okay, so this is mainly a filler post as Carlos and I are out of town, visiting Raleigh, North Carolina, and attending a Mexican Independence Celebration at the Contemporary Art Museum [CAM] hosted by the Mexican Consulate and the Consul General.

That's a long-winded way of saying Carlos was invited to a shindig and I was "and Guest."

So, you'll get Tuxedo, sleeping on a high shelf in the closet next to a stuffed rabbit someone gave the cats as a gift, and one they promptly chewed the ears off and destroyed.

I guess now it's just a Cat Pillow?

Anyway, I'll be back live[?] tomorrow. Stay tuned.”

Tuxedo was never a filler cat!

Since the rapture didn't happen after the eclipse, remember who predicted it would ... and then stop listening to them.


This is a good story true or not … there is a little coffee shop, where two people arrive and approached the counter.

“Five coffees please. Two for us and three hanging.”

They paid, they took their two coffees and left. I asked the waiter:

"What’s this about hanging coffees?"

“Wait and you'll see."

Some more people came in. Two girls asked for a coffee each, they paid & left. The following order was for seven coffees and it was made by three women—‘three for them and four hanging coffees.’

I was left wondering...what is the meaning of the hanging coffees, they leave. Then, a man dressed in worn clothes, who looks like he might be homeless, arrives at the counter and asks sincerely...

“Do you have a coffee hanging?"

“Yes we do, sir.”

They serve him a coffee and I got my answer.

People pay in advance for a coffee that will be served to whoever can't afford a hot drink. This tradition started in Naples. Amazingly, it has spread throughout the world’s cities and towns.

It’s also possible to order not only "hanging coffees" but also a sandwich or a full low-cost meal. Wouldn’t it be great if we could all start doing this in the cities and towns where we live? Small kindnesses like this can impact so many lives, in ways we could never imagine.

Maybe we should all try it.

“May you live as long as you want and not want for as long as you live,” is an Irish toast but “bread, cinnamon, eggs and Maple syrup” is a French toast.

You’re welcome.

I do a lot of posts where I tease about Carlos and tell funny stories of him, but his birthday was last Sunday and so this is what I thought of him on his ‘day’ …

“On the yearly anniversary of my dear husband's birth, I shall like to say that in the past couple of months, since the passing of my father, I have had a difficult time.

Things seem to work out and then they don't; things happen, stresses rise and sleepless nights ensue. But all through that Carlos has been my rock and my salvation and my saving grace.

I have loved him for nearly twenty-four years and that love grows each and every day.

Happy birthday, baby, and thank you for all you do to keep me safe and sane and steady and loved.”

And that’s a Carlos Tale of a Different Color.

This is the 50th Anniversary of a woman being able to get a credit card without the signature of a man … let that sink in and then realize that Arizona is rolling back abortion laws to the 1860s.

It's almost like some men are out to punish women.

Years ago Carlos and I went to the Columbia Farmer’s Market Plant Sale looking for plants for our new yard. We found a few we liked and then Carlos found a two-foot-tall Popcorn Tree, AKA Popcorn Viburnum. It produces clusters of small, popcorn ball-shaped blooms in spring while the leaves turn red to purple in the fall. Carlos wanted it and asked one of the vendors how much it was … seventeen dollars, Carlos said, and so we packed it up with a few other plants and headed off to pay for our new additions.

New additions that totaled nearly $150.00 and almost caused Carlos to faint. You see, the Popcorn Bush wasn’t seventeen, but seventy dollarsand Carlos was too embarrassed to tell them we didn’t want it.

Good thing because this is the Popcorn Bush this spring … over six feet tall and worth every penny.

Emmanuel Buchele is an athlete, actor, model, and a host of other things, so … Would You Hit It?

44 comments:

  1. Hanging coffee story was heartwarming for today. I have bought a coffee and then we'll buy two more coffees for the next two people after I leave the line, but I really should do that more.

    That Carlos story was a shirt had me in stitches. It is seriously where all those at one time later does he? My God I'm overheating just thinking about it.

    Emmanuel Buchel!!!! Oh daddy!!!!! Yes he could it hit...and then me hit him!!!!!

    That tweet!!!!!😂😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos needs to be hothothot when sleeping so seven shirts is the answer!

      Delete
  2. That popcorn bush is Amazing! Well worth the money. Are you telling me the rapture didn't happen? Shit. Happy late birthday to Carlos. You prove his your rock by how frequently you talk about him. And how about come, oh come Emmanuel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That bush has been planted and replanted around our yard so many times since we brought it home, but it's thriving in it's latest, and last, spot!

      Delete
  3. OMG I don't drink coffee but the 'hanging coffee' thing is fab. Will look for places that allow that to happen.
    And love that Popcorn Viburnum! Both the story and the bush are lovely.
    As for Emmanuel? Oh, hunny. So fast he wouldn't see it coming.

    XOXO

    P.S. loved the Carlos bday wish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emmanuel is quite a hot little nugget, isn't he? There appears to be a Hit It line!
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday, Carlos! He is a treasure indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry the rapture didn't happen; just think how many un-useful idiots we could have got rid of, including the two feignant Jesus Christs, Donald Duck and Putrid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have cheered them on as they left!

      Delete
  6. I do the same thing with my t-shirts. I'll wear a long sleeve shirt, then a t-shirt (think Sheldon Cooper), but if I'm still chilly (remember I live in New England) then I'll wear a medium-weight sweat shirt over that. What?, you didn't know sweatshirts came in weights? And if I'm still chilly, I'll put a sherpa lined sweatshirt over it all. By that time, I could be sweating in a blizzard, which is how I like it. Regarding your popcorn plant, it's beautiful. Tim and I had an experience similar, but not involving plants. I'm a cherry junkie. Love those things. He grabbed a bag a few years ago and put it in the shopping cart even though I hadn't asked for them. It was end of season for cherries, so when we got to the checkout, that friggin' bag was over twenty dollars! I had no trouble at all telling the cashier I didn't want them anymore. Her succinct reply was, "I wouldn't either." Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cherries, too, but $20!??! No, ma'am!

      Delete
  7. Love the popcorn bush! I don't suppose it comes in red, huh?
    Carlos is a gem well worth keeping .
    My hitting days are over, even in my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh if it came in red, you just know I'd have that one, too!
      Carlos is a gem, and he's all mine!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10:49 AM

    the dog's mother
    (Happy Birthday Carlos!) (Tuxedo always)
    xoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cleora Borealis12:03 PM

    1. Your X of the week! 👏
    2. Paying it forward (hanging) is so great and always contagious! 👏
    3. Thank you, I needed some Tuxedo in my day! Such aplomb he had! 😻
    4. We know how special Carlos is...your teasing of him doesn't diminish that; it's an enhancement! Each time you give us a slightly exasperated story, the love you have for him just gushes! Each story makes me imagine you guys as total snugglers together! 🥰😚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I lucked out with Carlos; he makes me laugh, makes me sane, makes me happy.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday Carlos!! He IS a keeper!! Many more years of happiness to come!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll pass along the good wishes.

      Delete
  11. I wish I could do what the young lady demanded at the end but it seems to have a mind of its own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm sure yours is fine, but some need to be watched!

      Delete
  12. The rapture didn't happen? Are you sure? Wait... What are we talking about? A black hole? Because I'm pretty sure I felt the earth move under my feet a number of times the past seven days. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between earthquakes and eclipses, the Baby Jeebus is telling us his Dad is pissed off ... I think?

      Delete
  13. Happy belated birthday to Carlos and a very lovely tribute to him. And keep doing your thing popcorn bush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He deserves all the tributes.
      I was in charge of pruning the popcorn bush and I think that may have helped it's bloom-splosion!

      Delete
  14. If I were to walk into an establishment and saw they supported Hanging Coffee and Sandwiches, I'd be so on board.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved what you wrote about Carlos on his birthday. It was very touching. The hanging coffee section was uplifting too. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some sweet stuff this week, Carlos and Coffee!

      Delete
  16. Happy belated to Carlos! I love that hanging coffee idea! Yes, I’ll worship at Temple Emmanuel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna mention the idea at our local coffee shop and see what they think.

      Delete
  17. I meant to say yesterday, your new blog header is very clever.
    I love the last photo with the protesting woman.
    I don't know if it is still a thing here, but we used to call 'hanging' as 'pay it forward'. feel like such a misery about people's generous natures but it would be better for citizens to elect good governments who correctly taxed the citizens to enable funds to be available to support the less fortunate in society, rather than them receiving charitable hand outs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw those symbols on a t-shirt and then just recreated them for the header; I like the idea.
      Sadly, no one wants their taxes raised, even if for the the good of others. And I think some people like to "pay it forward" if they can.

      Delete
  18. The popcorn bush is amazing! We have them here but we call them snowball trees/bushes. Had to laugh at the Russian Nesting Doll shirts :)
    How much nicer would the world be if everyone loved the way you and Carlos do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard them called Snowball bushes, too.
      And thank you for that lovely compliment.

      Delete
  19. I love the idea of a hanging coffee or meal. I haven't heard about it over here but would love it if it starts up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it either but it's a great idea!

      Delete
  20. It sounds like Carlos is very efficient in using storage space, bright and inventive man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But it's "personal" storage!!!

      Delete
  21. Happy Birthday, Carlos! How lucky you both are to have found each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen, I think so, too!

      Delete
  22. Days late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CARLOS!! (seriously, I thought I'd posted earlier, but I guess I was dreaming) xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos appreciates the birthday wishes, given that we are now in day six of his Birthday Jubilee!
      xoxo

      Delete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......