Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Architecture Wednesday: Mirrabooka, The Perfect Birthday Gift

It’s my birthday and if y’all are still searching for the perfect gift, might I suggest the Mirrabooka House in New South Wales, Australia. And, as y’all know, I do love a Frank Lloyd Wright house, and this one, designed by renowned Australian 20th century architect, and student of FLW, Bruce Rickard, is in that same Prairie Style.

The Mirrabooka House, built in the 1960s, sits on five acres of gardens filled with rare, exotic and native plants, abundant birdlife, with expansive views to the Blue Mountains. Rickard designed and built the home, and actually lived on the site for 18 months, using trademark materials like Sydney sandstone, Australian timbers, copper, concrete and the extensive use of glass. Immaculately maintained through the year, Mirrabooka and 1.75 acres of the surrounding garden have been honored with NSW State Heritage listing.

The visitor arrives at the front door via a series of steppingstones over a Koi pond, just past a waterfall and through a Japanese garden. Inside is an expansive open plan, with wooden accents, a stone fireplace and clerestory windows to the garden.

A skylight above the fireplace casts sunlight onto the stacked stone fireplace. A raised dining area is located to the right, while a playroom and the kitchen are both accessible on the left. The expansive living room extends to a sitting area. Three walls of windows and sliding glass doors provide views of the backyard pool and patio.

Glass doors connect the living spaces to a huge, cantilevered balcony which provides views over the gardens, spectacular sunsets and endless entertaining options. Paved areas of the terrace surround a large saltwater pool and adjoining lush gardens.

Since just 1.75 acres of the property are part of the State Heritage listing, the remaining 3.23 acres, including two small dams and a natural spring, so there is the potential for future rezoning and development.

Mirrabooka appeals to fans of mid-century architecture, FLW homes, bird lovers, plant lovers and those wanting to escape the city and work from home in tranquil surroundings. And, as I mentioned above, it’s my birthday and for the first time since it was built, it is on the market for a mere $4.2 million.


Click to emBIGGERate.

Dwell

7 comments:

  1. Gurllllll only 4.2 mil? Your a cheap date honey. But yazzzzz Im sold! What's not to love. The outside sold me alone, and all the stone and wood mill work inside???? So clean and linear I love it. The bath tub? LOVE! To soak and have views outside. And you know I love a lot of windows.

    But I worry about the architect. He only lived there for 18 months? Just what in the hell is wrong with him?

    Let me get in touch with my friend Merrill Lynch and see what I can do.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not too bad for a modern house!
    As usual I like the outdoors
    best!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything: the setting, the layout, the gardens, the color scheme...
    I find Mid-century houses to be very charming, especially when they're designed to be so open.
    Also, Australia!

    XOXO

    Happy bday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, except for, AUSTRALIA! Deadly spiders, snakes, jellyfish, platypussies, etc... Otherwise, nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!
    Stunning house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I hope you have the room for it; I arranged with DHL for delivery next week. Tuesday OK?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nha! I would need to make changes to live there, and that would just not be right. I like to openness and glass,to many bedrooms for the number of bathrooms,

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......