Thursday, December 20, 2018

Bobservations

The other morning, as I was preparing to drive Carlos to work, he came into the kitchen wearing a snappy little ensemble of blazer, bowtie, and nice slacks. He reminded me that in the afternoon I’d be driving him to Columbia where he was going to do a radio show for the Hispanic community.So, I looked him up and down in that outfit and said:
“It’s radio. You know they can’t see you, right?”
“I know that! But I’m getting my picture taken for the newspaper today.”
Now, being a sarcastic ass, and hating to have used snark only to watch it fall flat, I smiled and said:
“Make sure they use that Lucille Ball Mame lens when they take the picture.”
“What does that mean?”
“it’s the lens they used on Lucy when she did Mame and they seared Vaseline all over it to make her look about three decades younger. Ask for that lens.”
Yep, still got it.

PS Here's Lucy without the Vaseline and gauze, and then Lucy with the Vaseline and gauze.

It appears that Democratic Senator Michael Bennet of Colorado is considering a run for president.  My one question is: who the eff is Michael Bennet?
Here’s a nice story … a sacred pipe, given as a peace offering by a Dakota chief White Dog to Lieutenant King, a U.S. soldier, while the chief was being held prisoner after the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862, has been returned to the tribe one-hundred-fifty years later.

The pipe, which had been owned by a Boston family since the 1880s, was put up for auction last week over the objection of the Prairie Island nation, which regarded it as a sacred object, but the auction went ahead as planned. The pipe expected to fetch $15,000 to $20,000 but sold to an anonymous bidder for nearly $40,000.

And then the anonymous bidder returned the pipe to the tribe. Just in time for Christmas.
Now, he may not want you to know this, but Mick Mulvaney, set to become the _____'s Acting Chief of Staff, is another _____ lapdog who once felt differently about the Fat Bastard; in fact, after hearing that "Access Hollywood" tape, Mulvaney:
"My guess is worse stuff is going to come out in the last 30 days. They've got more videotapes. Everything the guy's ever said is on a videotape or an audio tape. There is going to be some atrocious things that are gonna come out. [But] that’s not going to make Hillary Clinton a good candidate for president. Should either of these people be, be a role model for my 16-year-old triplets? No. In an ordinary universe, would both of these people's past activities disqualify them for serving for office? Yes.”
Cut to 2018 and Mulvaney is _____’s Director of the Office of Management and Budget, and soon to be acting CoS.

That’s politics in a nutshell.
More good news … this week, former and best, President Barack Obama doled out present to children at Children's National Medical Center in Washington DC.

That’s my president and, well, I’m just gonna say it, it’s also my Hot Santa.
Tani Cantil-Sakauye, the chief justice of the California Supreme Court, is no longer a registered Republican because of the confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court and the _____ Administration’s treatment of immigrants.

Cantil-Sakauye was appointed in 2010 by then-governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, but is now registered as a no-party-preference voter and as she put it:
“I felt compelled to make a choice now. It better suits what I do and how I approach issues.”
Brava.
I may not know art, but I know what I like … and that painting, by out gay artist David Hockney, is expected to sell for $38 million at auction.

The portrait features Metropolitan Museum of Art curator Henry Geldzahler and his then-boyfriend, painter Christopher Scott.

If I had $38 million, I could find better uses for it. Just sayin’.
Before we get to some Hot Men …though we’ve already swooned over Hot Santa, that’s ______’s worst nightmare up there.

Three strong women—The Notorious RBG, Hillary Clinton, and Gloria Steinem—at the premiere for On The Basis of Sex, a movie about Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s life.

Oh, and since we talked hot men, the film also stars My-Husband-In-My-Head, Armie Hammer, as RBG’s husband Martin. And since it does, here he is …


Um .... Yum.

Three men from Nightflyers, some kind of science fiction show I recorded for Carlos because he loves that kinda stuff.

I’ll be there for the man candy … Eoin Macken, David Ajala, and Phillip Rhys.

That’s all.


18 comments:

  1. Great post today, Bob. I love the story of the pipe, and Obama (sigh), and Cantil-Sakauye...very nice choices for this time of year. Maybe there IS still a little bit of good in the world and some reason to be hopeful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never knew that about Lucille Ball and the 'Mame' film. Looking it up (why should I have doubted it?) I find that it's true. It's been said been that the real star of that film was 'Bea Arthur' - which is also true.

    Regarding that same film, I mentioned on someone's blog recently that in a touring Q & A session with Bette Davis which I attended in Oxford way back in 1976, Miss Davis was asked if there was there any particular film she'd badly wanted to play in but was not offered the role. "Mame!" she came out with without hesitation. Now THAT would have been interesting casting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Raybeard
    I've read autobiographies about Davis where she's said that about Mame. It might have been an interesting choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peace pipe return, Santa Barack and three feminist icons -- great post today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And to think, I thought that was a portrait of you coming home to see Carlos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mame! Why oh why didn't they go with Angela Lansbury, for crying in a bucket! She won a Tony for the part, once again, for crying in a bucket! I hate this movie. Lucy, may she rest in peace, was Lucy. There's nothing wrong with that as long as she wasn't cast as Mame! I'll stick with Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russell until a better one is filmed. Sorry, I love musicals so this was a major disappointment.
    Wow, I do pick trivial stuff to rant over! Thanks for the Hot Menz. I never heard of any of them (except Obama) but they are sure easy on the eyes.
    Any tale of Carlos is always a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deedles, my favorite was always Ross Russel in the part.

      Delete
  7. Blessings on the anonymous donor and Santa O!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Hockney's expensive because of the sex... yep, the back of the sofa's a vagina and the seat, with those two little round things on the end are... well... you know.

    If only Armie had a full chest of hair... you know... a rug, if I saw that I'm start thinking like David Hockney.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love "Tales Of Carlos", they make my say, and is it sad that I knew the answer to the Lucy story, before you explained it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Dave R- Ewww! I had too look at it again and nope, still not worth $38 million! With all apologies to Balder Half, no sex, be it painted or participatory, is worth $38 million!

    ReplyDelete
  11. santa obama can drop by my house anytime! I wish he would drop by the country and bring it back to sanity again.

    is it wrong to say I wanna fuck armie hammer until the the entire dump family is put in prison for treason?

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Anne Marie- Wrong? It depends. Is this one very long continuous session, or will there be breaks for meals, showers and general clean up? Also, will Bob notice if one of his hundreds of head husbands goes missing, not to mention brought back rode hard and put away wet? You I'm not worried about :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Deeedles
    I won't tell Carlos you're a Lansbury Mame and not a Lucy because he's Team Lucy all the way. Sidenote: I'm Team Lansbury.

    @AM
    Hands off my Armie! He's been mine since the Social Network, where he played twins and was twice as hot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They remade Mame with Lucille Ball? Oh no no no. Rosalind Russell is and will always be Auntie Mame.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The peace pipe! Oh, I love that. That's a real Christmas story. And President Obama being Santa...*sigh*... I love him and his wife!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It says a lot about Carlos that he has let you live this long. What a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Mitch
    Truer words were never spoken, sir!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......