Thursday, December 13, 2018

Bobservations

The other night, sitting around chatting, I was waiting for Carlos to finish his story, so I could tell him that I wanted to go see The Favorite this weekend. Imagine my surprise when, as I was thinking this in my head, Carlos said…
“There’s a movie called The Favorite that I would like to see …”
“STOP IT!!!”
“Stop what?”
“I was gonna tell you about The Favorite! Stop reading my mind! Stay outta my head.”
And he smiled and said …
“I wasn’t reading your mind, I was hacking your brain.”
Then he began laughing about collusion and now I’m terrified.
A group of journalists whose work has landed them in jail—or cost them their lives—have been named TIME’s Person of the Year for 2018:
“Like all human gifts, courage comes to us at varying levels and at varying moments. This year we are recognizing four journalists and one news organization who have paid a terrible price to seize the challenge of this moment: Jamal Khashoggi, Maria Ressa, Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo and the Capital Gazette of Annapolis, Md.”
Yes, _____’s Enemy of the People are TIME’s Person of the Year.

He must be fuming since he was overlooked in favor of the press, but I’m loving it.
On the heels of her Oval Office standoff with _____, House Minority Leader, and soon to be Speaker, Nancy Pelosi questioned the president’s manhood, calling the border wall a matter of masculine pride:
“It’s like a manhood thing for him. As if manhood could ever be associated with him. This wall thing.”
Later that night, Stephen Colbert took it a step further, saying that, since the wall is about his manhood:
“No wonder he can’t get it erected.”
Boom!
As an officiant of same-sex weddings, Sara Cunningham has been to so many ceremonies in which couples’ parents refused to attend because Gay, and so she decided to try something new.

She took to Facebook to offer her services as a stand in for the biological mothers of couples who did not want to go to their children’s wedding:
“PSA. If you need a mom to attend your same sex wedding because your biological mom won’t. Call me. I’m there. I’ll be your biggest fan. I’ll even bring the bubbles.”
Cunningham has already stood in for mothers who won’t several times this year, with plans for more next year. And, even better, there are other mothers out there who want to join her in her project.

Good on her!
_____ claims no collusion between Russia and his campaign and yet now we know that at least sixteen members of his cabal have ties to Putin and his regime.

Yup, nothing to see here.
Prepare to boycott … Walgreens calls itself the friendly neighborhood drugstore, giving flu shots to children, helping communities after storms, donating to charity. But there’s more …

To protect a tax break,  Walgreens has allied itself with Wisconsin’s brutally partisan Republican Party, which is in the midst of a power grab, stripping authority from Wisconsin’s newly-elected Democratic governor and attorney general solely because Republicans lost those offices.

One would think that an organization claiming to care about community values would speak up, but not Walgreens; and not some other corporate supporters of the Wisconsin GOP, like Microsoft, Dr Pepper Snapple, J.P. Morgan Chase or Humana.

Start writing those letters, and start spending your coins elsewhere.
In what I call High-larious news … GOP Congresswoman Elise Stefanik is calling on incoming House GOP campaigns chief Tom Emmer and the rest of the leadership team to conduct an autopsy to find out what went wrong for Republicans in the disastrous 2018 midterms.

Um, Elise, I’ll make it easy for you: what went wrong is …. _____.

Fix that problem and you might save your party, except your party is too entrenched on saving itself in any way it can—see previous story—and may well just die out.

Sorry, not sorry.
SCOTUS dealt a setback to Louisiana and Kansas, turning away their appeals of lower court rulings that blocked their efforts to end public funding to Planned Parenthood.

The case, which did not challenge the constitutionality of abortion itself, is one of a number of disputes working their way up to the Supreme Court over state-imposed restrictions on abortion.

Justices Thomas, Alito, and Gorsuch voted to hear the case, while new Justice Sexual Predator Drunken Frat Boy Kavanaugh upset his evangelical base by opting not to hear the case.
Next up … Kid Rock as Ambassador?

Don’t laugh. This week _____ picked former FOX & Friends correspondent Heather Nauert as Ambassador to the United Nations, replacing Nikki Haley who resigned last month. Nauert has served as a spokesperson for the State Department since April 2017 but has little to no experience in government or foreign policy.

But then, neither does this illegitimate president.
I stumbled across this on Twitter, and I must say it’s what I would call the Best Christmas Hannukah card ever.
Oops. In the same week that TIME called journalists and the press it’s Person of the Year we have a retraction from a one newspaper.


I guess, from reading the headline, maybe they need a new copy editor?
We just started watching Sharp Object, a murder mystery on HBO, but, as usual, my eye goes to the hot fill-in-the-blank character, this time a detective played by Chris Messina.

He.Smoulders.

That’s all.


13 comments:

  1. That Christmas/Hannukah card is so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hacking your brain may not be all that Carlos has planned - wait for the Tales of Bob series due to start any day now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to know that SOMEBODY'S holes are getting better with age! Yes, that's what I came away with from this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the Pence thing, who's the top?

    I was never a Walgreens shopper, so I guess that's good.

    I love that holiday card...that's is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bwa-ha-ha! Carlos! :-)

    Mine brother's family (Unitarian/Jewish) calls
    this time of year The Festival of Lights and Trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nauert meets the Idiot Jerks to necessary: blond and telegenic.

    Kavenaugh did upset the base... maybe he's growing a set.

    Russians are some of the Idiot Jerk's biggest fans.

    I'm going near the Idiot Jerk's failed erections.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @duchess deedles - RIGHT ON GURL!

    like maddie, I don't shop at walgreens.

    right on, stephen colbert!

    I like the holiday card.

    putzy pence and airhead ayers - how many times have THEY had sex in the white house? with each other?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time is now my favorite publication. Guess I should subscribe just to say 'thank you'.

    Sharp Objects, here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard that this movie that you are going to see this weekend is supposed to be really good. I hope to see it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris Messina was also the hot husband of Amy Adams in "Julie and Julia". Been watching him for a while.

    ReplyDelete

  11. One of your BEST, clever Bob! Pretty and I want to see The Favorite this weekend, too...fingers crossed.
    Each day brings more good news - my MSNBC hosts just keep on smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can’t believe it! Carlos was not the accidental punchline this time! Oh, I am SO happy for Julia Roberts and admire her openness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, so many good posts! Does a heart good. (And I'd gladly be a stand-in-Mom!)

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......