Friday, January 05, 2018

I Didn't Say It ...

Blaine Stewart, openly gay Virginia Beach news anchor, on the snow storm this week:

“Get ready for a pounding. Some of us could see 8 inches or more. That’s too much — even for me.”

Blaine, that’s too much information, even for me.
Richard Gere, saying that China is the reason he doesn’t get any big acting jobs any more:

“There are definitely movies that I can’t be in because the Chinese will say, ‘Not with him.’ I recently had an episode where someone said they could not finance a film with me because it would upset the Chinese. There was something I was going do with a Chinese director, and two weeks before we were going to shoot, he called saying, ‘Sorry, I can’t do it. We had a secret phone call on a protected line. If I had worked with this director, he, his family would never have been allowed to leave the country ever again, and he would never work.”

Gere has long drawn attention to China’s horrendous human rights situation and says that’s why he only gets smaller film roles.
But, he says, he doesn’t regret the change because he has something that Hollywood doesn’t: money and, in conjunction, freedom.
Jodie Foster, on those big budget superhero movies:

“Going to the movies has become like a theme park. Studios making bad content in order to appeal to the masses and shareholders is like fracking — you get the best return right now but you wreck the earth. It’s ruining the viewing habits of the American population and then ultimately the rest of the world.”

I kind of agree, mainly because I have no real interest in these superhero movies because, at their core, they are all very much alike.
Give me a small movie with a good story and I’m all in.
Give me a Jodie Foster movie.
Donald _____, on Steve Bannon, after that new bombshell book revealed how Bannon now feels about the Fat Bastard:

“Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my Presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind. Steve was a staffer who worked for me after I had already won the nomination by defeating seventeen candidates, often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican party. Now that he is on his own, Steve is learning that winning isn’t as easy as I make it look. Steve had very little to do with our historic victory, which was delivered by the forgotten men and women of this country.”

Delusional say what? Does he think anyone, other than his Basket of Deplorables, will forget the praise he heaped on Bannon?
Bannon was quoted in that new book calling the Trump campaign team’s meeting with Russians “treasonous” and “unpatriotic” and claimed “They’re going to crack Don Junior like an egg on national TV.”
Gosh, it’s fun to see mean girls turn on each other.
Anderson Cooper, on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, saying he walked out of the new Star Wars movie:

“I actually saw it last night, I walked out. I know, I’m sorry. I have a lot going on, I had a lot of work to do and a lot on my mind. It wasn’t a protest, I’m going to see it again. I had too much in my head. About 45 minutes in I said, ‘I’m not giving this the attention it deserves.’”

Anderson? Call me. I’ll go see it with you ….
Meryl Streep, on the time Dustin Hoffman, accused sexual harasser,  admits that Hoffman, went too far in a Kramer vs. Kramer scene:

"I’m sure that I have inadvertently hurt people in physical scenes, but there’s a certain amount of forgiveness in that. But this was my first movie, and it was my first take in my first movie, and he just slapped me. And you see it in the movie. It was overstepping. But I think those things are being corrected in this moment. And they’re not politically corrected; they’re fixed. They will be fixed, because people won’t accept it anymore. So that’s a good thing."

Hoffman also made light of the fact that Streep’s boyfriend at the time had recently died after a long illness, so, yeah, he’s a pig.
Matt Evers, professional ice skater, coming out as gay, and saying he was inspired by seeing what his uncle went through after being diagnosed with HIV:

"He was part of the original San Francisco and New York Fire Island crowd back in the 70s and 80s. I didn't know I was gay at the time, but when he was dying it hit me really hard that he didn't know the love of his mum, my grandmother. They were strict Catholics at the tip of the Bible belt. I wasn't aware of why his passing and the thought of him never being accepted by his own family hurt me so much until I realized I was gay. It's scary, the difference between generations [but] I live my life by example, and I want to show young people that what you feel or how you were born isn't something bad."

How sad to have your own family disown because you were born gay; and how hard that would have been growing up gay and knowing how your family feels.
Welcome out, Matt, and please accept as our Coming Out gifts, a copy of The Gay Agenda and the Official Coming Out Toaster Oven.

12 comments:

  1. I'm really trying to control my urge to tell Jody Foster, an actress I like very much, to SHUT UP! As a member of the "masses', I've seen Maverick, tsk, tsk. I go to the movies only to see superheroes and science fiction and blow up the screen action flicks. The big screen was made for those kind of movies at the prices they charge. I'm not going to spend my money, or sell one of my grandkids to see a small, quiet film that I can enjoy more on a smaller screen television, in my home with no distractions. Rant over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like both types of movies, the big special-effects-filled ones and the small, realistic movies with a good story. I think Foster overstates the case. Movies are a visual medium. The surprise is that it took as long as it did for the superhero genre to take hold on the big screen.

    Personally, I'd like to see the musical make a comeback. La-La Land is a start, but it pales compared to the best (or even the middling) efforts of the movie studios back in the '30s, '40s, and '50s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless Matt Evers.
    And you and Carlos stay warm. Not sure
    how you are situated for the snow bomb
    but it looks crazy out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I'm picking the movie it will always be an indie or, better yet, foreign. If the Boy Scout picks it usually has a lot of guns, fast cars and scantily clad girls. (sighhhhhh) The first movie the man took me to was Magic Mike part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kirk, I agree, wholeheartedly! Several years ago, I saw a double feature of Seven Brides For Seven Brothers and An American in Paris on the big screen. This was before widescreen t.v. and letterboxing, so I didn't realize how many things, or people, were cut out of the picture. It was glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY! Don't you and Jodie Foster be talkin' shit about my boys Captain America and the Winter Soldier. Those movies are GENIUS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you and anderson could play footsie at the movies (just sayin')...

    ReplyDelete
  8. @AM
    From your mouth to the universe's ears!

    @Debra
    I have no issue with superhero movies, they just aren't my cup of tea and I feel like these days they're everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Debra, Thank you! As always, quite eloquent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Matt can skate around my rink... as long as there doesn't need to be ice in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i. am. loving. Blaine Stewart right now (not that I ever knew who he was). And really a Jodie Foster movie? Which one do you want - 'Little Man Tate'? 'Nell'? 'the Wild Wild West'? She certainly makes a case for 'they can't all be winners'.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perhaps the Chinese have heard the one about Richard Gere and the gerbil!

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......