Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Architecture Wednesday: Round House

It looks like a spaceship has landed in Lakeway, Texas, just outside of Austin. A spaceship from the Planet FLW… Wright. Frank Lloyd.

This dramatic home was designed by Wright apprentice John Covert Watson and built in 1979. The two-story home has multiple protruding balconies and expansive windows to take maximum advantage of its sweeping views while being nestled within the thick vegetation on the top of a hill. The sunsets and the lake can be admired from both inside the house, from almost any room in the house, as well as any number of balconies and terraces.

The three-bedroom home was originally built to function as an art studio but seeing it from above and from all sides, it appears to also have been built as a work of art.

From another planet ….

HomeDSGN

6 comments:

  1. Now this one I like! The furniture looks incredibly uncomfortable except for that bed, but that can be changed, too bad the location can't be. I refuse to exchange California for Texas! As if I'd get the chance to live in this work of art. I don't know why, but, the curves of this place attract me. A little pristine, but nothing a few mutilated dog toys can't fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very cool to see, but this one doesn't do it for me....I think I would get bored there quickly....and feels a tad cold to me. Surprises me since I love Frank Lloyd Wright designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The outdoors are loverly. The inside would drive me batty. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are some definite Gaudi-esque motifs in here too! This should be called the Mushroom House!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is at first very appealing to me but I think I would get bored with it. If you did want to pick it up for me however I wouldn’t turn it down,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:11 PM

    It looks like something out of a James Bond movie. I like round houses - would LOVE to live in an Oast House. Round kitchen are tricky to design tho.
    JP

    ReplyDelete

Say anything, but keep it civil .......